PDA

View Full Version : Who will N.H.L. rookie of the year?

Scout
04-10-2006, 06:12 PM
I found this link on another board on Ovechkin. This kid is unreal and may take rookie of the year from Crosby.

The NHL rookie of the year, just watch
by Loststop
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8668486982679575521&q=ovechkin

Scout

WHEATMAN
04-10-2006, 06:20 PM
I would like to say Crosby will get the calder, but Ovechkin has it in the bag. Ovechkin is an amazing talent, and will continue to be for a long time. But what alot of people forget is that the age difference is 18 to 20, no matter what people say that is a huge two years in the development process. Ovechkin will win the Calder this year, but years from now, I expect Crosby to be way better

Triton
04-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Ovechkin will win the Calder.Crosby won't even be a runner up.I think the top will unfold like this:

1.Ovechkin
2.Lundqvist
3.Phaneuf
4.Crosby
5.Svatos

As for next year I think Malkin will take the Calder.I do however think Ovechkin will have a better career than Crosby.The only reason I say that is I base it on toughness...Crosby is a whiner who feels he shouldn't be touched.Ovechkin on the other hand has been on all the highlight reels all season scoring goals and making passes but he has an incredible physical side to him,and isn't afraid to mix it up.

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
04-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Ovechkin will take the Calder, but I would honestly like to see Phaneuf take it.

He has been one of the best things going for the Flames this season, providing a great toughness aspect and a goal scoring touch.

Look for him to play greater roles in the later years.

Beaner
04-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Ovechkin would be my choice, followed by Phaneuf.

Phaneuf will get the Norris in a couple more years.

I also like what Meszaros has done this year.

rinkrat
04-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Meszaros is playing very well! :D

dondo
04-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Ovechkin would be my choice, followed by Phaneuf.

Phaneuf will get the Norris in a couple more years.

I also like what Meszaros has done this year.

what he said ^

I'd say it would go like this

Ovechkin
Phaneuf
Lundqvist
Crosby
Meszaros

i think Svatos dropped out when he got injured (too bad)

had Ovechkin not had such a brilliant year.. I really think that Phaneuf should have gotten the nod.. but Alexander has proved he's not just a good player he's been a superstar all year and he has a physical game to go with it.

Hatguy
04-11-2006, 03:34 PM
I would pick Lunqvist or Phanuef, based on their great defensive work and that they're both on winning teams, but we all know Ovechkin will win it. Ovechkin has over 100 points on the season, with a poor supporting cast. It's too bad that the Rookie Award is based mainly on offence.

ScottyWazz
04-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Ovechkin should get it, but you never know. Both Lundqvist and Phaneuf would be fine choices over Ovechkin.

I don't get why people bring up age. I understand there's a two year difference (three in Lundqvist case), but a rookie is a rookie is a rookie. It really shouldn't be an issue. Nabokov won it at 25 y/o because he was the best rookie in the class, simple as that. The only rule against the player is if they are over 26.

As for careers, you can't tell. They both are franchise players, they both are going to be the Keystone to the future, but one injury to either could drastically change the big picture when people look into their crystal ball.

SectionNDeserter
04-11-2006, 04:35 PM
I would like to say Crosby will get the calder, but Ovechkin has it in the bag. Ovechkin is an amazing talent, and will continue to be for a long time. But what alot of people forget is that the age difference is 18 to 20, no matter what people say that is a huge two years in the development process. Ovechkin will win the Calder this year, but years from now, I expect Crosby to be way betterMy only knock on Crosby is his toughness/heart. If he is going to miss half the games in his career because he has a little head cold or something (like in junior) he isn't going to have as successful an NHL career as many think.

LifelongChiefsFan
04-11-2006, 07:11 PM
It's obvious that Ovechkin is going to win, he is an amazing talent. However (not that it really matters) I really don't see any way that Crosby doesn't finish 2nd in the voting. Phaneuf has put up good numbers yes, but he was already going to a good team. Their defense would be fine with or without him. It's because of that I don't think his numbers are as impressive as Crosby who broke the record for youngest player to score 90+ points in a season. I also agree that Lundqvist is extremely underrated, and he has a good case. But I think that the fact he has been hurt lately and Weekes has filled in fine dampens his case a bit. You also have to remember as well that the NHL basically had Crosby as its figurehead going into the season and that is probably still on the minds of the voters. I know alot of people like to call Crosby a "whiner" but that was just something that got overhyped by the media. I think the vote will go something like this:

Ovechkin
Crosby
Lundqvist
Phaneuf
Meszaros/Svatos (Svatos would have been #3 if he didn't get hurt)

They are all great though, and it has been very exciting to watch these rookies throughout the season, and it's awesome that we will get to watch them for the next 10-15 years.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-11-2006, 07:56 PM
....Crosby who broke the record for youngest player to score 90+ points in a season..

Not true. Gretzky got 137 points in his rookie season as an 18 year old in '79 with the oilers.... but crosby's still putting up great numbers as an 18 year old. Ovechkin will probably end up winning the calder, but i think, like someone else said, that in the long run, crosby will be the better player, after all, ovechkin does have 2 years on him, and alot can happen in 2 years more experience.

LifelongChiefsFan
04-11-2006, 08:38 PM
My bad...Crosby is the Youngest to get to 90 points....they all just happened to be in the same season.

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/1812.0.php

Beaner
04-13-2006, 05:43 PM
And Ovechkin gets Goal #50 today.