PDA

View Full Version : U18 World Championships

Triton
04-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Canada got off on the right foot today as they beat Team Slovakia 3-1.Goal scorers for Canada included Justin Azevedo,Francois Bouchard and Brandon Sutter.Assists came from Schira,Azevedo,and Pyett.Slovakia's lone tally came off the stick of Rastislav Konecny with assists coming from Mikus and Biro.Marek Simko played goal for the Slovaks stopping 27 of 29,while Jonathan Bernier stopped 34 of 35 shots that came his way.Elsewhere the Czechs doubled up on Germany 4-2 on day 1 of the tournament.

Triton
04-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Canada rebounded from a slow start to trounce Norway 9-2 in World Under-18 Championship action on Thursday.

After surrendering the first goal to Norway, Canada’s power play registered two goals in the first period, to take the lead for good. Canada scored a total of five power play goals en route to the solid victory.

Ben Maxwell (North Vancouver, BC/Kootenay, WHL) led all scorers with six points (1 goal, 5 assists). François Bouchard (Boucherville, QC/Baie-Comeau, QMJHL) added four points (1 goal, 3 assists), while Justin Azevedo (London, ON/Kitchener, OHL) added a hat trick. Victor Bartley (Maple Ridge, BC/Kamloops, WHL), Logan Pyett (Milestone, SK/Regina, WHL), John Tavares (Oakville, ON/Oshawa, OHL) and Cory Emmerton (St. Thomas, ON/Kingston, ON) added singles. Goaltender Jonathan Bernier (Laval, QC/Lewiston, QMJHL)) made 13 saves for his second straight win.

Canada’s record stands at 2-0, good for first place in Group B. Canada’s next two games come against stronger opponents, taking on Sweden on April15th, and Finland on April 17th. Canada’s game vs. Finland on Monday, April 17th, will be broadcast live on TSN/RDS at 10:00 am (ET)

Triton
04-15-2006, 05:27 PM
We lost 2-0 to the host Swedes today.That drops our record to 2-1.Our next game is against Finland.

Triton
04-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Canada tied the Finns 0-0.

GF71
04-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Have you been watching the games at all? How has Victor Bartley been playing?

Triton
04-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Canada is into the semifinals of the world under-18 hockey championships.

Jamie McGinn scored twice to lift the Canadians to a 4-1 quarter-final win over Russia.

Canada will play Finland in the semis Thursday.

McGinn's power-play goal just over five minutes into the third period broke a 1-1 tie. The Ottawa 67's forward added a second power-play goal at 17:31 of the third.

Shawn Matthias gave Canada some extra insurance when he scored with less than two minutes left in the third.

John Tavares scored on the power play at 18:24 of the second period to tie the game 1-1. The goal ended a Canadian scoring drought at the tournament that lasted more than 166 minutes.

Jonathan Bernier made 20 saves in the Canadian net.

Canada won a silver medal at the 2005 tournament.

Triton
04-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Have you been watching the games at all? How has Victor Bartley been playing?

Nope haven't been watching..sorry.I have just been following through the internet.I think the Bronze and the Gold medal games are televised,so we may get to see them play.

Toswammi
04-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Todays game was televised on tsn. I watched the 2nd period and for the most part the Canadians were dominating.

Triton
04-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Canada lost to the Finns 3-2 in overtime.Canada will now play for bronze :(

langdak
04-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Canada finished 4th, after a 4-1 loss to the Czech Republic

http://tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_story.asp?id=163518

Canada misses podium at world U-18s

Czechs win U-18 bronze

Canadian Press

4/22/2006 10:20:24 AM

ANGELHOLM, Sweden (CP) - Canada had to settle for fourth place after losing 4-1 to the Czech Republic in the bronze medal game at the under-18 world hockey championship Saturday.

Brandon Sutter of the WHL's Red Deer Rebels scored the lone goal for Canada 3:44 into the third period, but it came too late as the Canadians were already trailing 3-0 at that point.

It was a disappointing ending to a frustrating tournament for the Canadians. Canada won the silver at the world championships last year but had trouble scoring goals this time around.

The defending champion United States was to battle Finland for the gold later Saturday

HAF
04-22-2006, 12:21 PM
The defending champion United States was to battle Finland for the gold later Saturday
Us just won the gold! They showed the game on the NHL Center ice for some reason. Glad I caught it.

westbeach55
04-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Finland got robbed, us scored a goal and there was no time on the clock and it was still allowed.

Triton
04-22-2006, 01:55 PM
What a joke Canadian hockey has become..4th place??Why even show up?

langdak
04-22-2006, 02:36 PM

They are 17yr old kids, good god

Triton
04-22-2006, 03:01 PM
They are 17yr old kids, good god

I'm talking about Hockey Canada as a whole.Hey but yeah if your excited about 4th place finishes than yeah by all means go to town.

langdak
04-22-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm talking about Hockey Canada as a whole.Hey but yeah if your excited about 4th place finishes than yeah by all means go to town.

I never said i was excited

you put "hockey canada" and "4th place" in the same sentence, in a thread about the U18 world championships

I apologize for not turning on my crystal ball before posting :rolleyes:

Triton
04-22-2006, 03:51 PM
I apologize for not turning on my crystal ball before posting :rolleyes:

Apology accepted...lol

Flathead
04-23-2006, 10:51 AM
You must also remember that alot of kids that would have been on that team were still playing, or are still playing in the playoffs right across the CHL. Although a very good Canadian team, it wasn't our best possible team.

Big Daddy
04-23-2006, 12:45 PM
You must also remember that alot of kids that would have been on that team were still playing, or are still playing in the playoffs right across the CHL. Although a very good Canadian team, it wasn't our best possible team.

This is the absolute truth and exactly what happened. Hockey Canada is fine.

Also, don't forget that the NTDP U18 team that won this has been together for the most part for 2 years. They brought a couple guys from their U17 team along but mostly to get a feel for next year.

Toswammi
04-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Plain and simple this is an american tourny to win. Their team stays together and plays together the entire year. The fact that Canada can compete with half of the talent to choose from (a rough half are playing chl playoffs) is simply an amazing cause no other hockey country would be able to boast that.