PDA

View Full Version : GM3: Giants 4 @ Hawks 3 (ot) Apr. 12

Beaner
04-12-2006, 11:31 PM
The best game of the series so far as Portland after getting a few days off, and getting back some Funk back, were finally able to get some rushes and generate a bit of offense. Giants still held the territorial advantage but in this game, the chances were equal, and the play, I felt was also very even. Portland was throwing their weight around tonight, and for a bit actually had a Forecheck going. Nice effort from both teams, and good goaltending kept both teams in this game.

NOTES
Slade and Mucha got the starts again tonight
Mikkelson (knee), Rutherford (shoulder), Czibre, Flatters and Dulle were the Giants scratches
Machacek left mid point of the OT after taking a hit from Dubinsky. Didnt see it on the web feed, the Portland broadcasters said it was clean, the Vancouver guys said knee on knee, I shrug my shoulders.
Shots 43-23 Giants
PP Giants 1/5, Hawks 0/5

GOALS
1. POR Hansen, (6) (Dubinsky), 18:07 Nice play off a faceoff, as Dubinsky gets it to Hansen and Hansen one times a flip shot up and in
2. VAN Lamb, (1) (Blum), 10:20 Lamb and Repik head in on the 2-1, Lamb down the wing and he uses Repik as a fake and he fires a wrister that beats Mucha High, glove side.
2. POR Bubnick, (4) (Gordichuk, Cepek), 18:17 4-4, Bubick breaking in down the boards, and he blasts one 5-hole past Slade from the top of the circle.
3. VAN Lamb, (2) (Repik, Albers), 1:17 A hardforecheck, and repik gets the puck across the crease to the open Lamb on the opposite side and he pots it home.
3. POR Hansen, (7) (Bubnick), 5:29 Hansen with the steal, at the Giants blue line, give and go with Bubnick and Hansen blasts it past the sprawling Slade.
3. VAN Franson, (3) (Lamb, Kraus), 7:01 (PP) 5-4, Kraus Spots Franson cheating in down low, and Franson wires a wrister into a tiny little hole top shelf glove side.
OT. VAN Brule, (6) (Albers, Franson), 16:44 Albers fires the home run pass to Brule, from his own zone to to the Hawks blue line, and Brule goes in on the break-away. Couple quick moves that freeze Mucha and he beats him Top shelf.

FISTICUFFS
None.

OFFICIATING
Matsuoka got the call tonight, and did a nice job of a playoff overtime game. The video missed the hit on Machacek, so I, have no comment on it one or the other.

INTERNET FEED
Scooter and the entire radio crew were once again great. Had an Interview with Ron Toigo in intermission one, and then for the OT intermission they had a nice 5 minute interview with Jon Flatters. Nice call on the action etc. The video was allright, but the zoom button happy operator was annoying. Missed a lot of faceoffs because he was overly crowd happy as well....

OVERALL
Good game by both squads tonight, although I thought the Giants held the territorial advantage. That being said the scoring chances were even, and Portland really came to play tonight. I thought Portland out-hit the Giants tonight, and witht he addition of Funk in the lineup it really eased the load on their usual 4 Defenseman.

Both goalies had some very good saves, and all the goals were quality shots tonight. Defence of Portland was once again blocking a ton of shots, they did a really good job of doing that again tonight.

This game could have gone either way, both teams worked hard, and gave it their best but Giants got the last one in OT. Should be another good game tomorrow.

3-STARS
1. -
2. POR - 17 Jannik Hansen
3. VAN - 17 Gilbert Brule

WHL site seems to be having problems with the 3 stars tonight......

Swando
04-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Beaner: Thanks for the recap. Watching the game I felt like the old Canada /Russia series. where it would be all Canada and then a miscue and the Russia would come back and get a scoring chance or a goal. I disagree with equal scoring chances ... the play was 75% in the Hawks end and although there were a few missed shots I think these are chances...it's the picket fence that Portland puts up that made the "chances as the PWH announcers say it was close. I know it is so much nicer to watch live or on Shaw but my computer was quite lopsided and leaning to the Giants offensive end all night lol. One thing for sure that Dubinsky line is potent...something that we didn't see the first 2 games...Also looks like the Nuks have a pretty good draft choice in Hansen. :thumb:

Beaner
04-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Hansen is a steal. 9th rounder, what a deal.

dondo
04-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Giants site had the three stars as:

Gilbert Brule
Jannik Hansen
Jonathan Bubnick

sounds like some homerism there... should have been Lamber over Bubnick but w/e, or even over Brule.. although that was a gorgeous goal - helps to see some of this on the SPac

I guess you had the internet feed then eh beaner?

would have liked to see this game, I was only able to listen to the OT period and it sounded pretty intense. Don't think I'll get a chance to listen to tonights game either :(