PDA

View Full Version : article on Ryan Russell

fightstrap50
04-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Ryan Russell Perspective

Ryan Russell may not be the biggest player in the WHL, but his contribution to the success of the Kootenay Ice has been gigantic.

The diminutive and speedy forward from Caroline, AB, tallied 33 goals and 42 assists in 72 games this season, and helped Kootenay to their second straight campaign with 45 or more wins.

Russell, whose twin brother, Kris, is a standout defenseman with the Medicine Hat Tigers, has been one of Kootenay's most dangerous offensive players over the last two seasons, scoring 55 goals and 128 points. The 5'10", 170-pound New York Rangers prospect has been especially beneficial to the team this season after the departure of super sniper and former captain Nigel Dawes.

Ryan Russell's Perspective

On Kootenay's regular-season success...
"I think my season went well, and I think we did pretty good as a team. At the start of the season, people thought we'd be at the bottom of the division, but we proved them wrong and were able to stay at the top or near the top of the division the whole way through."

On going to the Rangers' prospect and rookie camp...
"It was pretty unbelievable getting the chance to go to an NHL camp. It gives you motivation to really push yourself during the season so they know they made a good pick in the draft."

On the feedback from the Rangers...
"They want me to work on getting stronger and maintaining my strength during the season. They told me to keep doing what I do with using my speed and being an offensive threat, but they also told me to work on being solid defensively."

On Kootenay's next generation of stars...
"Ben Maxwell is a second-year guy who scored 28 goals this year, and quarterbacks our power play. He's had an impressive year. We have a pretty young defense corps with a lot of guys who have stepped up this year. Guys like Chad Greenan and Paul Kurceba have eaten up a lot more minutes than they have in the past."

On life in Cranbrook...
"It's a great hockey town. The fans here are true fans in that you can walk down the street and people know who you are, which is something you might not see in a bigger city. Cranbrook also has some really nice scenery with the mountains. We're not allowed to ski, though."

Jesse Watts
whl.ca

link:
http://whl.ca/en/members/?action=viewArticle&id=4244