PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Brule

Scout
04-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Courtesy CHL Prospects:

The Player's Perspective

It's been a year of ups and downs for Gilbert Brule.

The 19-year-old product of North Vancouver, B.C., started the year on a high after making the Columbus Blue Jackets opening-night roster after the NHL club drafted him with the sixth overall pick in the 2005 entry draft.

Yet, despite scoring two goals and two assists for the Jackest, Brule's tenure in the NHL lasted a combined seven games as the 5'11", 180-pound pivot suffered a pair of injuries.

Once healed from his second injury setback in January, the Jackets opted to return the feisty and skilled center to the Vancouver Giants for the remainder of the season.

While his demotion to Major Junior could have disheartened Brule, it certainly didn't show in his play on the ice as he proceeded to net 23 goals and 38 points in 27 games, helping the Giants claim the franchise's first regular-season B.C. Division title and Western Conference crown in its five-year-existence.

Now, Brule is determined to lead the Giants in the playoffs as they continue their quest for WHL supremacy and a spot in the 2006 MasterCard Memorial Cup tournament.

Gilbert Brule's Perspective

On the Giants' playoff performance to date...
"I think our team is playing really well defensively, and out penalty killing has been awesome through the playoffs. We're generating a lot of shots, but we need to get more second shots in the "house area" in front of the net. Overall, it's been going great, so far."

On the this year's Giants team compared to last year's team...
"I think we've got a lot more depth this season. We've got three or four very solid lines that can play, and our coach (Don Hay) shows he's willing to roll out all of them. All our defensemen can play really well. We're more complete."

On Giants' rookie Spencer Machacek...
"From what I've seen since I've been here, Spencer has been a really great player. He can put the puck in the net, and he can make plays really well. I think his biggest asset is that he has a great work ethic."

On his NHL experience...
"Obviously, it was a dream come true to play in the NHL, especially at such a young age, and I was having a great time up there. But, I had a few injuries up there that held me back a bit. But, it was still an awesome experience."

On coming back to the WHL after playing in the NHL...
"The NHL is obviously faster, and the guys are a bigger and they're all skilled players. Coming back (to the WHL), I had a bit more confidence after my experience in the pros, and I was looking forward to having fun. I was looking forward to playing in the (WHL) playoffs because I knew I was coming back to a really solid team."

Jesse Watts
whl.ca

Scout