PDA

View Full Version : AHL Expansion???

Beaner
04-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Mojo radio is reporting that the AHL is considering more expansion, to 30 Teams. I believe they currently have 27 teams.

One of the teams would be in Victoria and would be an affilate of the Canucks.

No idea what this means to the ECHL Salmon Kings in Victoria, but I doubt Victoria could support both.

Kristi
04-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Any other cities mentioned?

Jimmypop316
04-17-2006, 07:50 PM
I heard a rumor that brett wanted to sell the chiefs and get a minor hockey leauge team.

But thats all it was, was a rumor.

rinkrat
04-17-2006, 09:52 PM
I heard a rumor that brett wanted to sell the chiefs and get a minor hockey leauge team.

But thats all it was, was a rumor.
I can't see the advantage of AHL over WHL in Spokane???

You have rivalries in place with the dub! Tri Cities,Everett,Kootney!
I think its a smokescreen. :spineyes:

Kristi
04-17-2006, 10:12 PM
I just wonder if they would explore putting another team here in the Northwest (ie Everett, Olympia, Portland) so when the teams travel to Victoria if that happens they have somewhere else to play.

Would really be a no brainer to put LA's or Anaheim's farm team up this way somewhere with all the flights down there each day........travel wouldn't be too hard for the players when they are called up.

Beaner
04-17-2006, 10:40 PM
I think in the NHL with guys having to go up and down quickly (to save money against the cap) you are going to see a lot of the NHL farm teams move very close to their parent club, to save on travel.

I know it was a problem in Vancouver, among many others.

The only city they mentioned was Victoria, but looking around for back-up info on this I recall reading a re-location of LA or Anaheims AHL farm team. Something like that anyways.

Jimmypop316
04-17-2006, 10:50 PM
I can't see the advantage of AHL over WHL in Spokane???

You have rivalries in place with the dub! Tri Cities,Everett,Kootney!
I think its a smokescreen. :spineyes:

No Kidding, I love Major Junior Hockey. Its so gritty and just awesome. The only exception I'd make is to have an NHL team, but thats not going to happen.

Honestly Major Junior hockey is the next best thing to the NHL.

ihlemic10
04-17-2006, 11:48 PM
I just wonder if they would explore putting another team here in the Northwest (ie Everett, Olympia, Portland) so when the teams travel to Victoria if that happens they have somewhere else to play.

Would really be a no brainer to put LA's or Anaheim's farm team up this way somewhere with all the flights down there each day........travel wouldn't be too hard for the players when they are called up.

I would think with the Whole T-Birds/Sonics situation, you won't see a new team in Seattle for a little bit. I would look from the perspective that if the Birds can't get a good arena, how would an AHL or any other new team for that matter. The Mariners got one becuase of the winning in 95. The seahawks because of the die hard fanbase. The sonics however have neither. They have spurts here and there of winning, but if they can't fill the smallest arena in the NBA half full, why do they deserve a bigger venue? Yes the Key is old and a few words I can't say on here, but it seems the city and people do not wish to pay for another stadium. That being said, I don't think the AHL could move anywhere else, Renton is the only possibility but the Birds are trying to claim it. Thats it for my rant.

Swando
04-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Great insight Ihlemic 10. I had not heard of this new opening in the Ahl. If Victoria was a candidate then I thot Seattle would be the next place to put one. Before I read your post I was about to comment that "Canada is much different from the US is "minor league following". San Jose will probably win in the west but will be lucky to fill its arena every play-off game. Do you think Sacramento will be able to support an AHL affiliate due to the proximity? No.
If Vancouver's farm team was in Abbotsford and it had a 10,000 seat arena I think it would have STH base of 50%. Canada is a different story in hockey just as basketball couldn't servive west of TO (except Vancouver)

nelson951
04-18-2006, 01:48 AM
I would think with the Whole T-Birds/Sonics situation, you won't see a new team in Seattle for a little bit. I would look from the perspective that if the Birds can't get a good arena, how would an AHL or any other new team for that matter. The Mariners got one becuase of the winning in 95. The seahawks because of the die hard fanbase. The sonics however have neither. They have spurts here and there of winning, but if they can't fill the smallest arena in the NBA half full, why do they deserve a bigger venue? Yes the Key is old and a few words I can't say on here, but it seems the city and people do not wish to pay for another stadium. That being said, I don't think the AHL could move anywhere else, Renton is the only possibility but the Birds are trying to claim it. Thats it for my rant.
The Mariners and Seahawks got stadiums because they threatened to leave. plain and simple.

ihlemic10
04-18-2006, 10:17 AM
The Mariners and Seahawks got stadiums because they threatened to leave. plain and simple.

That is also true. BUT not many care if the sonics leave.

Kristi
04-18-2006, 10:54 AM
I think in the NHL with guys having to go up and down quickly (to save money against the cap) you are going to see a lot of the NHL farm teams move very close to their parent club, to save on travel.

I know it was a problem in Vancouver, among many others.

The only city they mentioned was Victoria, but looking around for back-up info on this I recall reading a re-location of LA or Anaheims AHL farm team. Something like that anyways.

Yes I know of a player who spent most of his time on a plane back and forth to Portland Maine and Anaheim in October and November. He was sent down and flew back to Portland all night only to be called later that morning to get back on the plane to go back to Anaheim. Granted he got some great frequent flier miles but imagine what that does to your body even if you are in a great shape like these guys!

Wingnut
04-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Any other cities mentioned?

Sunday's San Diego Union-Tribune reported that San Diego Gulls (ECHL) have held talks with Colorado (their NHL affiliate) about moving up to the AHL but also says it would not be for next season. The article goes on to say that Las Vegas would also be considered.

Yesterday's National Post quotes Manitoba Moose owner Mark Chapman saying that this is the last year of their affiliation with the Canucks and that he has been talking with Edmonton Oilers for next season. The AHL team in Victoria would be the dormant Edmonton Roadrunners franchise, which is owned by the Oilers. The scenario in this case would be that the Oilers would sell the Roadrunner franchise to the wither Victoria interests or the Canucks and then agree to be the NHL affiliate for Manitoba. The Canucks would then become the NHL affiliate for the Victoria AHL franchise.

However, Victoria people are saying that this is all news to them. That includes the owners of the arena in Victoria, who also own the ECHL Salmon Kings.

I'm sure that Western teams are looking to get their AHL affiliates closer to home. The new NHL CBA requires teams to have the players physically report to the minors when they are sent down and the league can and has asked to see the plane tickets and boarding passes. Before, a player might get sent down but never leave the NHL city.

The_Vulk
04-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Have one farm team (AHL) per parent club (NHL) would be idea for all.

And having a team in Oakland &/or San Fransisco would sure help with the west coast rivalries.

dondo
04-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Sunday's San Diego Union-Tribune reported that San Diego Gulls (ECHL) have held talks with Colorado (their NHL affiliate) about moving up to the AHL but also says it would not be for next season. The article goes on to say that Las Vegas would also be considered.

Yesterday's National Post quotes Manitoba Moose owner Mark Chapman saying that this is the last year of their affiliation with the Canucks and that he has been talking with Edmonton Oilers for next season. The AHL team in Victoria would be the dormant Edmonton Roadrunners franchise, which is owned by the Oilers. The scenario in this case would be that the Oilers would sell the Roadrunner franchise to the wither Victoria interests or the Canucks and then agree to be the NHL affiliate for Manitoba. The Canucks would then become the NHL affiliate for the Victoria AHL franchise.

However, Victoria people are saying that this is all news to them. That includes the owners of the arena in Victoria, who also own the ECHL Salmon Kings.

I'm sure that Western teams are looking to get their AHL affiliates closer to home. The new NHL CBA requires teams to have the players physically report to the minors when they are sent down and the league can and has asked to see the plane tickets and boarding passes. Before, a player might get sent down but never leave the NHL city.

so they'd basically keep the name and change the players wholesale? All of the players are Canucks prospects, under contract by the Canucks and the Moose. So how would that work? I don't see the Winnipeg fans being overjoyed with that happening.

Wingnut
04-19-2006, 09:17 AM
so they'd basically keep the name and change the players wholesale? All of the players are Canucks prospects, under contract by the Canucks and the Moose. So how would that work? I don't see the Winnipeg fans being overjoyed with that happening.

That's exactly how it would happen. The players assigned by the Canucks are not under contract to the Moose, just the Canucks. They play where the Canucks tell them to play. Players that are on Moose contracts would stay, as they are under contract to the Moose.

It happens all the time in the minors when a team changes its affiliation. Hershey went through it last summer when they went from being Colorado's affiliate to being Washington's affiliate, to give just one example. It's just a fact of life in the minors. The Manitoba owner, Mark Chapman, has publicly stated that they will not be the Canucks affiliate next season, so Vancouver has to go somewhere else. However, Canucks GM Dave Nonis said yesterday that the Canucks are currently in negotiations with Manitoba to extend their affiliation agreement. So Chapman's public comments may just be a negotiation ploy to get more from the Canucks.

Judging from the comments by AHL president Dave Andrews, it won't be to Victoria - at least not in the near-term. Andrews (who also happens to be a former coach of the Victoria Cougars in the early 1980s) said last night that he has had no discussioins with anyone in Victoria, the Canucks, or the Oilers regarding a move into Victoria.