PDA

View Full Version : WHL arenas

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-21-2006, 11:59 PM
How many of the WHL arenas have you seen a game at?
Please tell what you liked most about each rink that you have been too,if you want you can also tell what you did not like about each arena you have been to.

lets get this thread rolling,I will start us off.

I have been to 3 WHL arena:
Saskatoon(Credit Union Centre):It is the rink that the team that I cheer for plays all of their home games in of course I have seen games here. It is a very quiet arena,most of the noise comes from the KIDS who are at the games.

Regina(Brandt Centre)It is a nice rink I will definatly go back to see more games :groovy:

Medicine Hat(The Arena)sure the rink seats only 4,000 and change but it is very loud,the fans are very passionate and are behind their Tigers 100%(ok maybe not all of the time) ;) I will definatly go back to see more games.

(I plan to go on more road trips with Blades 4 Life next season) So if the Blades play your team next season We(myself and my friend(Blades 4 Life) might be at the game. :thumb:

Tiger Trauma
04-22-2006, 01:13 AM
Medicine Hat
Swift Current
Lethbridge
Calgary

Blades 4 Life!
04-22-2006, 01:19 AM
Credit Union Center(Saskatoon Blades) - The city of Saskatoon needs to come out and support there home team. We need to be more LOUDER! We are probably one of the most quiet arenas in the WHL. We have a real nice arenas, good sound system, very well kept up, just what a arena should look like but the seats are very uncomforble. Thats one of the things I look for in an arena, comfortable seats.

Brandt Center(Regina Pats) - There Arena is very small but the seats are very comforable but they are really run down. It doesnt hold very many people but with a small building it sure gets really loud. I would go backa and watch more games. I enjoyed my time there!

The Arena(Medicine Hat Tigers) - Now that is a crazy "Arena". Those fans are really into there team. I hate the setup of there arena. The concours looks like the hallways in my school(Walter Murray). Plus in some parts you have to duck or you will hit your head. Plus there is this one consestion that smelt so bad, FISH! That was the worst thing about the arena. But I also had a good time there and Me and GoBladesGo BLEED BLUE had fun at Game 1 & 2 and patrick.

I've always wanted to see some of the american teams arena so maybe in a couple of years me and GoBladesGo BLEED BLUE and whoever will come up there!

peatfan
04-22-2006, 04:24 AM
Been to a few, including defunct teams:

Calgary
Lethbridge
Medicine Hat
Red Deer
Vancouver
Kelowna
Regina (the Agridome- is that the same as the Brandt?)
Edmonton (saw the Oil Kings)
Cranbrook
Winnipeg (the recently demolished Arena for the Jets/Clubs/Warriors)
NewWestminster (For the Bruins)

Number_4
04-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Ive been to a few over the years...
Brandon
Stoon
Regina
Moose Jaw
Swift
Lethbridge
Calgary

Flathead
04-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Swift obviously, smaller rink with some much needed renos coming to it. Can be very loud and a fun rink to watch a game.

Moose Jaw(the crushed can) yes it's rough shape, yes it's old and falling apart, but it's a GREAT rink to watch hockey. It's loud and your right on top of the game, you can't help but to feel as part of the game.

Regina, haven't been to game there for awhile, but it as always very quiet.

Saskatoon, gorgeous rink, to bad it's never full and I've been to louder libraries. For a city it's size and surrounding area they should be able to get better attendance.

Med Hat, another smaller rink with a great atmosphere. Consession and washrooms could be improved.

Lethbridge, nice new rink. Good to watch hockey, but also very quiet and there is zero room to move if you want to go get something at intermission, concourse is to small.

CHtoo
04-22-2006, 10:05 PM
I have watched the Broncos play in all WHL cities except for:
Everett: too new, maybe next year.
Regina :confused:
Brandon (usually too far away to get to on a Friday night)

I saw the Broncos play Kootenay in their old rink but not the new one.

I really enjoyed the confused fan in Portland who for the life of her couldn't see why we came all the way to see a game in which there weren't any relative playing.

Prince George the first time was my first experience where the noise was so loud in the time out the team gave up trying to discuss their next move.

Kelowna was terrible only because it took the third time to see a Bronco goal.

Vancouver brought memories back to when I saw the Canucks play their first season. Too bad the fans didn't keep up to the game.

Best experience had to be Kootenay. Their first year in the league and everyone kept asking us how the Broncos managed to survive in a small market. Also it helped a little by winning the 50/50. :clap:

PS I'm and always have been just a fan.

2,5,andagame
04-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Red Deer
Medicine Hat
Moose Jaw
Regina
Saskatoon

Hey CH if your planning a trip to Everett don't forget you will have to also stop in Chilliwack now.

If you follow the Broncos, why have you never been to Regina? ;)

CHtoo
04-23-2006, 09:30 AM
games with Regina and Brandon always seemed to start Friday in Brandon so tough to get to when working. But of course now I'm retired it's more fun to go on extended trips than just a one or two gamer. :p

Scout
04-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Ok i'm old but here i go. I've been in:
Saskatoon
Regina
Moose Jaw
Brandon
Medicine Hat
Calgary
Edmonton (before they moved)
Vancouver
Kelowna

Scout

Triton
04-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Nobody's been to P.A?

ihlemic10
04-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Everett - Home arena

Seattle - Crap areana, really needs one better for hockey

Pacific Coluseum - Reminds me of the Tacoma dome. It was okay, the lighting was a little wierd though.

Stay-Puft
04-24-2006, 02:06 PM
I've been to a couple:

Spokane
Kamloops, around 1990
Victoria (same trip as 'loops)
Seattle
Portland (Rose Garden)

Looking to make an Eastern/Central swing in the next year or so.

In the crowd
04-24-2006, 04:00 PM
I've been to

Cranbrook (old and new) (home rink)
Kelowna
Kamloops
Spokane
Lethbridge
Calgary
Red Deer
Medicine Hat
Swift Current
Moose Jaw

Best place so far is Spokane. Great Arena and everyone treats you great there, unlike a few others i've been to.

wango tango
04-24-2006, 05:05 PM
brandon
regina
saskatoon
moose jaw
swift current
prince albert
calgary
lethbridge
vancouver
kelowna

nelson951
04-25-2006, 01:25 AM
New west-Queens Park-a favorite just for great games and atmosphere. otherwise a shiite hole! Still there

Spokane-nice, great fans.

Seattle- Lotsa room to move around... great for kids esp at intermission. Need their own rink. Preferred old memorial and Coliseum prior to 1995

Pacific coliseum- seen at least 100 games here as grew up there. Seats now better. OK if downstairs open. Hard to ***** when you can remember the days when you could only drink downstairs. 2 quick beers the back to seat then bursting bladder 5 min into next period.

Everett-great sight lines except in upper rows of lower level. Jammed concourse. nowhere for young kids to move. Dumbest hockey fans I have ever met. Rebuilding will be interesting for this club...if it ever happens. Have No idea how lucky they were and are.

Kelowna(new)-Only been to one game since the fans got into it, prior to that pretty quiet and empty. used to be outdrawn by Vernon
(old)-only one visit-great atmosphere

Victoria-toooo long ago

Saddledome- yawn. When I went there in 2000 it was echo, echo,echo,... Not anymore it appears

BCHL arenas:
Good-Vernon(new),South Surrey
OK-Trail
Bad-Burnaby,Coquitlam and old Vernon arena

atlegacy
04-25-2006, 02:17 AM
Everett (home arena and the best I have watched a game from)
Portland - Rose Garden - Really nice arena and fans are nice
Tri Cities - Good view of the game and good atmosphere - I like there fans
Vancouver - First time fans were great, but not this last weekend atmosphere is really boring
Seattle - The Key arena is a dump. There is a corner that is blocked and you can not see. I really hope that the T-Birds get a new arena for themselves because it would be a lot better for them

I am hoping to go to Spokane and Kootney next year, but Spokane is for sure

nivek_wahs
04-25-2006, 04:39 AM
Regina (Brandt Centre = Agridome)
Moose Jaw
Saskatoon
Prince Albert
Swift Current
Red Deer
Calgary
Old Winnipeg Arena (Pats/Wheats playoff game a few years ago)

jshmacky
04-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Seattle (home arena)
Everett (will NEVER go back)
Tri-cities
Portland
Spokane
Vancouver
Kelowna

Hopefully next season the eastern division!

OHLArenaGuide
04-29-2006, 09:18 PM
My answer is "None of the Above". :turkey:

I have been to 20/20 current OHL rinks, two former OHL rinks, and 5/18 QMJHL rinks if that counts for anything.

Toswammi
04-29-2006, 11:56 PM
Moose Jaw
Regina
Saskatoon
and of course Swift Current (for the past 22 years)

RunTheGoalie
04-30-2006, 12:28 AM
Lethbridge, nice new rink. Good to watch hockey, but also very quiet and there is zero room to move if you want to go get something at intermission, concourse is to small.

Nice new 31 year old rink. ;) The ENMAX Centre was built in 1975.

I've been to six current arenas, plus the Stampede Corral.

Calgary - NHL rink with all the amenities. getting around with 9000 other fans is much easier than with 19,000 at Flames games.

Cranbrook - Worst "hallways" ive ever seen. How on earth are you supposed to get around that place when there are 4000 fans in there? Beautiful junior sized arena though, and great fans.

Medicine Hat - Needs to be replaced, but it is quaint, and the fans are rabid

Red Deer - Ugly as sin, but decent sized concourses and great fans.

Lethbridge - Like Red Deer, except the building is nicer and the fans are deathly quiet.

Swift Current - Would be nice if that place would fall over so they would have to build a new arena.

Rebel Tiger
05-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Medicine Hat Arena - 25+ years (old home rink)
This rink for its time was amazingly well built (1970) only seats 4006. However by what people today call a modern rink it is slowly becomming old, but just beause something is old does not make it useless. Unreal hockey atmosphere.

Red Deer Centrium - (Current home rink)
Newer rink (1995 I believe) Seats over 5000. Definately a modern style rink, not alot of atmosphere in it.

Calgary Saddledome - Picked up a few Hitmen playoff games
Professional NHL rink, don't think to many people need a description of atmosphere here.

Swift Current Centennial Center - Tigers Playoff game
Classic Grass Roots Rink! From my understanding about to take a major upgrade to keep it useable by WHL standards. Atmosphere almost unmacthed!

Future Plans:
Lethbridge, Saskatoon.... Maybe others.

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-12-2006, 02:12 AM
I have been to 4 WHL Rinks:
Saskatoon(Obviously)
Medicine Hat
Regina
and now Swift Current

scrunt
11-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Vancouver - Pacific Coliseum: Home rink; we have great seats in the front row that are better since the recent upgrade, but the seats are very low, so you need to sit way forward to see over the top of the boards. Really crappy beer selection.

Everett Event Centre: Great rink, I love the open concept at the end, awesome beer (Diamond Knot IPA and a raft of other microbrews on tap!). Only compaints: hard plastic seats and paranoia over the risks of water bottle caps.

Chilliwack - Prospera Centre: Another great modern rink, similar to Everett. The concourse is too narrow in places, but the upper bar is a great concept with open seating where you can watch the game while drinking the micrco brews (too bad the only beer available on the main level is the crappy Molson-Labatts garbage, but at least there is an upgrade available upstairs).

Kelowna - Prospera Centre: I was there for the Russia-Sweden opening game of the WJC last winter. Not as nice as Chilliwack or Everett, although it is of the same vintage and general size. Awkward ground-level concourse with an interruption when the Zamboni goes through. Didnt have a beer there, so no commentary on the selection.

Calgary - Saddledome: Only there for Flames games in the 80's.

Calgary - Stampede Corral: I was there frequently in the 70's for the Centennials, Cowboys and Wranglers (even saw a Flames game in their first season in Calgary). Incredible atmosphere (I remember the wooden three-seater fold-down bleachers painted orange and pink). Me and my Dad would always do a circuit of the concourse between periods and look at the huge collection of old hockey photos from prior decades. Too young to drink in those days.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
11-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Well I've only been to one WHL arena and that is ofcourse the CUC. There was a thing on the radio that was the top 100 sports arenas and the Credit Union Centre was 51st!!!

Coyote14
11-14-2006, 10:03 AM
I've been to four so far. I'd like to someday see them all.

Chilliwack: Great new arena with an alright hockey atmosphere. Much better with big attendance. I'd like to see more cheering and jeering like in the old Chilliwack Coliseum.

Vancouver: Love watching games there. They have a lot of good fans that provide a good atmosphere.

Kamloops: Nice arena but the crowd is very quiet. They like to clap but not cheer. Kamloops has some of the friendliest people I have met.

Prince George: Probably the best arena I've been to. It has a good layout for seating and concourse. There aren't nearly enough fans though, so the atmosphere kind of sucks.

Carebear
11-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Vancouver
Chilliwack
Everett

BruinsHockey
11-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Brandon - First WHL game against the regina pats in the early 90s, older rink but great atmosphere.

Kamloops - Excellent rink, great seating, can be very quiet.

Vancouver - No atmosphere unless there is 14,000+ in the rink.

Portland - Interesting rink, but very loud even with 3000-4000.

Tri-Cities - Decent rink, unfortunately when the Americans are losing the rink is the quietest i've ever been to.

Red Deer - Great rink, atmosphere leaves something to be desired.

Chilliwack - Nice rink, concourse was not planned for 5000 people let alone 3000. Atmosphere will never be the same as the Chilliwack Coliseum. Fans don't get into games the way they used to, even the way they used to when the Chiefs were there.

11-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Ive been to

Red Deer
Calgary
Edmonton (before they moved)
Kelowna
Seattle

Im heading to Everett to check out a game in a couple weeks here. Im pretty excited to actually see how crazy it gets in person.

OHLArenaGuide
11-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Anyone for pictures?

http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/whl.htm

BTW if anyone has any original photos of any of the rinks I'm missing feel free to email them and I'll post them.

Blades 4 Life!
11-19-2006, 10:13 PM
2 weekened ago I just went to the Civic center. I really like the arena. I went there to see a Broncos vs. the Blades. The Mascot really gets the fans going. I would go back.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-19-2007, 09:59 PM
I have been to 6 WHL Rinks:
Saskatoon(Obviously)
Medicine Hat
Regina
Swift Current
Calgary
Lethbridge
(missed Red Deer) oh well I will not miss it next season
maybe next season the US Division. :thumb:

dj-kris
03-20-2007, 03:30 AM
Chilliwack (home rink)
Vancouver
Kamloops
Kelowna
Prince George
Everett
Seattle
Portland
Tri City
Regina (was a season ticket holder when i was a little lad back in the garth butcher days)
Prince Albert
Moose Jaw

westbeach55
03-20-2007, 08:57 AM
I have been to 6 WHL Rinks:
Saskatoon(Obviously)
Medicine Hat
Regina
Swift Current
Calgary
Lethbridge
(missed Red Deer) oh well I will not miss it next season
maybe next season the US Division. :thumb:

never been to Prince Albert you will have to make a trip down sometime, small but atmosphere can be amazing to bad saskatoon couldnt play in smaller venue but its nice having a rink that size for events

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-20-2007, 09:09 AM
never been to Prince Albert you will have to make a trip down sometime, small but atmosphere can be amazing to bad saskatoon couldnt play in smaller venue but its nice having a rink that size for events
Yes I hope and want to make a trip or two down there,as well as wherever else the booster club is going next season,that is why I am anxious to see what next season's schedule will look like,so I can start planning and saving more money. :thumb: