PDA

View Full Version : GM2: Tips 0 @ Giants 2 Apr 22

Beaner
04-22-2006, 11:23 PM
A better game tonight then last night as both teams didnt have the opening night jitters, but instead went back to the way both these teams can play. A defensive battle all night long as neither team managed to generate a lot of shots or scoring chances but it was still very exciting to watch. 1st period total shots were 6-3 in the first in favour of the Tips. Giants managed to turn it up a notch and generate some better chances as the game progressed, but it was still pretty even all game long. Physical play was down a notch from the prior night, but the bigger hits were still heavily in the Giants favor.

NOTES
Slade and Esposito got the Starts.
Irving (groin), Fialla (Head?), Hromas (Head) were the Tips notable scratches.
Mikkelson (Knee), Rutherford (Shoulder), Dulle, Czibre and Flatters were the Giants scratches.
Shots 20-18 Giants
PP Giants 1/4, Tips 0/6

GOALS
2. VAN Albers, (2) (Franson, Brule), 12:44 (PP) 5-4, Albers at the point, he fakes the man covering him moves to the middle and lets go wwith a wrister that beats Esposito, who was screened by Machacek.
3. VAN Repik, (3) , 3:38 Amazing goal as Repik takes the puck off a tip, skates from his own blue line thru 2 more tips, comes in on the Defender, and fires a wrist shot that beats Esposito high. Amazing moves.

FISTICUFFS
None

OFFICIATING
Thiessen tonight, I thought a lot of the calls he made tonight were pretty cheap, but not a terrible job.

OVERALL
Well this game was more reflective what I expected out of these two teams. Tight checking, excellent work along the boards and great defense. Not a tonne of great scoring chances, but each team had a few and both goaltenders did well to keep those chances out, on limited action through-out the night.

I really felt the Giants let up a lot on the physical play, compared to last night, but I also noticed the Everett players at times avoiding taking hits which helped the Giants up front. The Hunt/Lucic/Parker line I really felt was playing great as they managed to hem the Tips int heir own zone on numerous occassions, and they played the body well.

Now with the PP's I am really surprised at hopw poorly both teams PP's are doing. Not only are neither really scoring but he chances they are getting arent very good either. I guess this has more to do with what an excellent job both teams PK's are doing.

3 STARS
1. VAN - 3 Paul Albers
2. VAN - 17 Gilbert Brule
3. VAN - 37 Dustin Slade

Meh, I thought Festerling had a great game, and the penalties Gilbert took were really undisciplined. I would have really liked to see Festerling get a star tonight.

Special Congrats to Dustin Slade getting his 4th shut-out of the Playoffs, putting him into a tie for most shut-outs in one playoff year. :thumb:

CB123
04-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Awesome game! Repiks goal was unbelievable!!!! When I saw him try to take it in, I was just thinking, "oh he's done" but then he gets past everyone, holy, just amazing! :spineyes:

Carebear
04-22-2006, 11:32 PM
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH GIANTS

*WARM THE BUS*

Awesome game, I had so much fun. Franson was a little slow tonight, didn't know what the deal with that was...saw him with 2 bad giveaways. Otherwise I was impressed with everyone. Repik's goal was off the hook...I was literally in shock..I did the McCauley Caulkin in Home Alone face.

I even saw/hugged/mocked Kristie..and I think a few more of you people were sitting near me, but I don't know who, just looked familiar from the night before.

ONTO GAME 3! :clap:

GF71
04-22-2006, 11:48 PM
Something happened early in the second period that told me that the Giants were forsure going to win. Everett is hemmed in thier own zone...where is Mueller? Standing at the Giants blue line waving his hands in the air for a pass. Way to hdlp out your team buddy. Then a couple of shifts later he gets mad because he is getting checked...what does he do? Slams hiss tick into the boards like a baby, much to the mockery of the fans in the area. He has got to be the most over rated player in the league. I have seen him play live maybe a dozen times this season..he got a couple goals and a few assists, but showed me he has absolutely no heart and is a me player. One of the current Giant players was hyping him to me all summer tellingme that he was going to rule. I wonder what happened. If he would grow some balls and get some grit, he would dominate in this league. If I was an Everett fan I would be very pissed at the way he played tonight. Very selfish.

That being said, Esposito impressed again...Everett will have a great tandem for a couple more years. Thoring was good, Heshka and Lammers were thier best players again. The kid..can't remember his name, but #12 impressed in limited ice time as well. I thought Franson had a rough game...some of the go to guys for the Giants were just ordinary, IMO. Slade, for a change was full value for his shut out, and congrats to him for setting a new league record!!! Machacek was strong again, Albers had a solid game as well. And what about that Repik goal? BEAUTY!!!!

With all the presure on the Tips for game three I would expect them to come out flying on Tuesday...although they may end up squeezing thier sticks...the EEC will be the place to be Tuesday night!

Beaner
04-22-2006, 11:53 PM
#12 for Everett is Beach, and he is going to be a force in this league. Noticed tonight he is already getting the "extra attention" from the Giant players.

He will be a force next year.

Carebear
04-22-2006, 11:55 PM
GF71 where were you sitting?

Big Daddy
04-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Something happened early in the second period that told me that the Giants were forsure going to win. Everett is hemmed in thier own zone...where is Mueller? Standing at the Giants blue line waving his hands in the air for a pass. Way to hdlp out your team buddy. Then a couple of shifts later he gets mad because he is getting checked...what does he do? Slams hiss tick into the boards like a baby, much to the mockery of the fans in the area. He has got to be the most over rated player in the league. I have seen him play live maybe a dozen times this season..he got a couple goals and a few assists, but showed me he has absolutely no heart and is a me player. One of the current Giant players was hyping him to me all summer tellingme that he was going to rule. I wonder what happened. If he would grow some balls and get some grit, he would dominate in this league. If I was an Everett fan I would be very pissed at the way he played tonight. Very selfish.

That being said, Esposito impressed again...Everett will have a great tandem for a couple more years. Thoring was good, Heshka and Lammers were thier best players again. The kid..can't remember his name, but #12 impressed in limited ice time as well. I thought Franson had a rough game...some of the go to guys for the Giants were just ordinary, IMO. Slade, for a change was full value for his shut out, and congrats to him for setting a new league record!!! Machacek was strong again, Albers had a solid game as well. And what about that Repik goal? BEAUTY!!!!

With all the presure on the Tips for game three I would expect them to come out flying on Tuesday...although they may end up squeezing thier sticks...the EEC will be the place to be Tuesday night!

Mueller the most over rated? I don't agree with you on that. He is a player and will be a fast track kid in the show. Sounds like his frustration has more to do with his teams lack of production.

Great back to back wins for the guys! Slade has been big when he needed to be and we are getting 100% effort from everyone. I would like to see Kraus, Lamb, and Watt get on the board. They are working hard but need a reward. Good luck in Everett and shut that loud barn down early!! Let's see if we can't get them to leave early!

Big Daddy
04-23-2006, 12:03 AM
#12 for Everett is Beach, and he is going to be a force in this league. Noticed tonight he is already getting the "extra attention" from the Giant players.

Re: Giants attention, I would hope so, him skating by our bench and blowing kisses will get him the "recipient of the cheap shot of the year award". This kid has alot of balls and no sense for a 15 year old punk. Keep your head on swivel son!

GF71
04-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Re: Giants attention, I would hope so, him skating by our bench and blowing kisses will get him the "recipient of the cheap shot of the year award". This kid has alot of balls and no sense for a 15 year old punk. Keep your head on swivel son!

ahahaha I LOVE IT! You are right though...somebody will keep him honest for that. Takes balls though. Gotta like that.

Swando
04-23-2006, 12:13 AM
I'm not a Mueller Fan either. I think he is over rated. Avoids the tough going on most occasions. Unlike Repik for the Giants that has similar moves but will take the puck along the boards. He disappeared in the World Jrs when the traffic got heavy. No I am not a fan of Mueller! + he should get a hair cut as I told him so during a quiet moment in our end lol.

Tonights game reinforced to me that Fistric has lost his confidence. He is playing brutal of late. I think he is in for a rude awakening if he thinks he can crack the Dallas line up let alone thier minor affiliate.

Star selection tonight ??? Slade YES, Brule?? always gives it all but undisciplined tonight. NO and of course Albers was great. I think I'd have given Repik the 2nd star. As I said in last nights post I love this guy and can't wait to see him play as a 17& 18 yr old!!

Big Daddy
04-23-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm not a Mueller Fan either. I think he is over rated. Avoids the tough going on most occasions. Unlike Repik for the Giants that has similar moves but will take the puck along the boards. He disappeared in the World Jrs when the traffic got heavy. No I am not a fan of Mueller! + he should get a hair cut as I told him so during a quiet moment in our end lol.

Tonights game reinforced to me that Fistric has lost his confidence. He is playing brutal of late. I think he is in for a rude awakening if he thinks he can crack the Dallas line up let alone thier minor affiliate.

Star selection tonight ??? Slade YES, Brule?? always gives it all but undisciplined tonight. NO and of course Albers was great. I think I'd have given Repik the 2nd star. As I said in last nights post I love this guy and can't wait to see him play as a 17& 18 yr old!!

Yes, Mueller does need a trim!
I think the kid has an NHL body, great vision/sense, and decent hands. His skating is ok but good enough to move on. He impresses some and not others, typical for most prospects. I think we all can agree to wish him the best in his future.

Knuckles Muldoon
04-23-2006, 12:37 AM
Game 2 could have gone either way. The Giants beat the Tips at their own game, but may have been lucky to do so.
The first goal in these games is absolutely HUGE. It was good fortune for the Bigboys that they were able to get it again tonight. If the Tips score first, things could have gotten ugly. Credit to the Giants for playing smart and patient and keeping the work ethic very high. The 1st period was a classic Everett period and the Giants were lucky to get out still 0-0. The Giants turned the tables and had a strong second and were fortunate Albers' shot made it through the crowd. Pretty even in the 3rd, I thought. The Tips had some chances from pointblank range in the third (notably Lammers), but Slade was sharp and saved the day. He is looking so solid in there these days. Its tough to imagine anyone getting more than 2 goals on him on any given night. Great on the PK again. The Tips are 0-12 so far in the series, are getting few shots and amazingly, are having trouble even getting set up. The Giants are playing quick side-to-side and are cutting off the time for Mueller and Lammers. Once they pass the puck away, they are often not getting it back. The schemes the Giants are running have been brilliant. Mueller is not over-rated. He is an incredible package, but is currently frustrated by his lack of puck possession. Credit the Giants for taking away his space and time. But he's a terrific and dangerous player. Brule's discipline didn't cost the team tonight, but it could have. GB has got to dial it down on the dumb penalties. His second penalty (a leg on leg hit) was not smart. His third penalty working the guy over on the ice was frustrating. He's got to know the ref is watching him and can't pull that stuff off. His physical play has been marvelous in these two games, but he has to know where the line is drawn. Everett's usually prodigeous PP won't be held off the board much longer. Theissen did a pretty good job reffing. Better than the mess we saw (Nobody Loves) Rehman serve up on Friday. As Beaner noted, Fester was terrific tonight. He is incredibly solid out there these days, makes no mistakes and breaks up rushes every time. He reads the play so well. He is the kind of defensive depth the Tips don't really have. Repik's goal was a sublime individual effort. A classic. Also really liked Albers, Lucic and Watt tonight. Thought JD played his best game in a little while and worked the boards well all game long. Harty, Heshka, Lammers and Beach looked good for the Tips. This Beach kid is going to be a miserable pain-in-the-butt for years. He already has plenty of attention from the Giants and is stirring it up on every shift out there. Can't believe the Giants passed this guy up.
On to game #3. You know the Tips are going to be pumped in front of their rabid following at home. The Giants are going to have to summon all their resolve to get the job done in that nuthouse. Hold the fort at the EEC, Giants fans. I'll be in attendance for game #4. :thumb:
Beaner, isn't that Slade's 4th shut-out? I believe that makes 15 on the season, a very impressive number.

Beaner
04-23-2006, 12:46 AM
Yes #4, I originally put 3, but fixed it. :)

And yes he has 15 combined for the year.

Currently tied with the following players according to the WHL site:

4 - Derek Yeomans, Kelowna Rockets, 2005 (20 games).
- Jeff Harvey, Everett Silvertips, 2004 (20 games).
- Kevin Nastiuk, Medicine Hat Tigers, 2004 (20 games).
- Kelly Guard, Kelowna Rockets, 2003 (19 games)
- Shane Bendera, Red Deer Rebels, 2001 (22 games)

Carebear
04-23-2006, 12:48 AM
I think the kid has an NHL body, great vision/sense, and decent hands. His skating is ok but good enough to move on. He impresses some and not others, typical for most prospects. I think we all can agree to wish him the best in his future.

Too bad Great Clips hasn't been at the games recently.
We could've gotten him a freebie!

Beaner
04-23-2006, 12:25 PM

I myself am really torn on Mueller - he has all the hockey skills and the size, but he just doesnt seem to have the physical play down.

But maybe in this day and age of the NHL with the lack of physical play at that level, it isnt as important as it used to be. If he could just ramp up his physical play a couple notches I think he would be even better.

He was one of the better players for the US at the WJHC, probably their best forward.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Mueller picked at #6, but I also wouldnt be surprised to see him drop a few spots to 9/10.

Can't argue with his skill though, he has a tonne of it.

dondo
04-23-2006, 01:02 PM
swando - watching the game on tape I noticed a bunch of little things that Fistric did in front of his own net to make the plays and make the difference. Slade even lauded him in his post-game interview for making it easier for him to make the saves.

I could not believe how easily players like Mueller, and Lammers in particular went down. I thought I was watching a team of Greg Louganises. Diving all over the ice. Actually, I too thought Mueller was a floaty guy last night and although he made some talented moves, he wasn't working it in the corners, or if he did he'd fall down trying to draw the penalty. I for one would like to see them calling those dives (as the dives they were), cause they were ridiculous.

Remedial cow-bell ringing last night though. It wouldn't bother me so much after a goal, but while their guy is standing still behind his net? on an icing (one time with their team icing it)? On a puck turnover? ***? figure it out guys/girls - you may ring everything in your own rink, but its irritating and not enjoyable to hear a cow-bell in your ear for no apparent reason.

Tight game last, but the Giants didn't give them any ice to play with (except when the G-Men had the PP... sheesh.. good stops Slade). Weakish reffing, but at least he didn't buy all of the dives. Great shutout for Dustin though, not a huge amount of shots but watchiong the tape afterward he made some tough saves and kept his team in the game. Espo's no slouch either. The score could have been higher had he not made a few timely stops.

ah.. Repik blocking a shot, getting up and weaving and bobbing through the neutral zone, and then snapping the puck past Espo for a truly well-earned unassisted tally. That's my kind of Euro.

Knuckles Muldoon
04-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Am I missing something here? I think Fisty's playing fine. He's physical, keeping the front of the net clear, and moving the puck out. He's also the leader on the a defense that has allowed 14 goals in 12 playoff games. Swando, where is the 'brutal' part? :confused:

Section_Z
04-24-2006, 12:26 AM
We had some great Everett Fans in front of us. Lively, fun back and forth banter warmed up around the second period and then throught the game... They applauded Slade on the shutout, chuckled at our Bus banter, and welcomed us down for the next two...

prospera
04-24-2006, 01:22 PM

kelowna kids playing for everett

Swando
04-24-2006, 04:08 PM
In regards to Fistric - his own domain in front of Slade has never been an issue , that is his strength. His first pass is often off the mark and he gives away the puck more that any defenseman we have. When he was on the ice the Tips through heavy forechecks at him for that reason. Try watching him away from his strength area --you might see something different.

dondo
04-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Fistric has taken to carrying the puck out of his zone and all the way down the ice more than I have seen him do in the past, he's also shooting. Maybe he's trying to send a message to the Stars that he's more than just a defensive D. It's interesting because swando I pegged Fistric for a star on Saturday, so maybe he plays better in my end of the ice than your end of the ice :thumb:

rinkrat
04-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Fistric has taken to carrying the puck out of his zone and all the way down the ice more than I have seen him do in the past, he's also shooting. Maybe he's trying to send a message to the Stars that he's more than just a defensive D. It's interesting because swando I pegged Fistric for a star on Saturday, so maybe he plays better in my end of the ice than your end of the ice :thumb:

No,I noticed him doing that near the end of the season and into the playoffs when the chance is there.I think Hay has given him the green light and even encouraged him to go when he has time and space.The other teams have been making the assumption that Mark wouldn't rush the puck,and now Hay is exploiting that.

dondo
04-24-2006, 08:03 PM
yeah rinkrat .. that's actually what I meant - caused i noticed him doing it late in the season.. it would be great if that was Don Hay thing - it seems likely for him to do something like that.

Frankly i like what Fistric's been doing these playoffs and he's probably even better on the road, as I can see him enjoying the challenge of beating a team in their own buidling and also becoming a bit more focused.

Still not the best passer, but we missed him when he was out of the line-up this season - we were just missing that shutdown element -, but Fistric brings that in spades.. a shutdown king.. which is why i think he'll do well on the Stars.