PDA

View Full Version : Dustin Slade - In the WHL record book.

Knuckles Muldoon
04-23-2006, 11:39 AM
In previously discussing Dustin's 15 shut-outs this year (regular season and playoffs combined), I failed to realize that this is a WHL single-season record.
So,
CONGRATS TO DUSTIN SLADE! :clap:
At the start of the season, I was cautiously optimistic that if his temper was kept under wraps, he could be an excellent goaler for the Giants this year. But I wouldn't have guessed he would have been as good as he has been. Kudos to coach Don and Scott Bonner for sitting him down at the start and explaining the need to turn the other cheek and what was expected of him when he was taken on by the organization. Except for a meltdown or two along the way, he has been fantastic, and in the playoffs only looks to be getting better. He doesn't even really complain at all anymore when someone barges through his crease. Last night when a Tip came through and knocked him into the net and off the moorings, Dustin just got up, held his tongue and went for his customary skate to the corner. No lip, no anger, no distraction. He is rock-solid right now and clearly inspires plenty of confidence from his mates. Its great to see a young guy mature and do all the things he can to start meeting his potential, and Slade is now being rewarded for his commitment and efforts. And good on the young man!

Beaner
04-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Here here, keep up the great work Dustin. :thumb:

Keep proving all the "experts" wrong.

dondo
04-23-2006, 01:19 PM
yeah most excellent Dustin.... I remember watching Tristan Grant pound him into dust last season after a goal-mouth altercation. Classic hockey moment.

But he's settled down a lot behind the Giants team and they haven't taken away his edge which makes him such a good goalie. Great to see what a change of scenery can do. Robinson was definitely worth this acquisition.

Crosby rules
04-23-2006, 04:21 PM
I think dustin now knows what is at stake with his carreer if he wants to continue with hockey. the stint with the New Jersey devils this last training camp opened his eyes and, now knows what is involved to be a pro.

HockeyHairIsSexy
04-23-2006, 04:42 PM
I completely agree with you KM and I cant believe the change in Dustin from when he first played with the Giants and now, he seems so much more focused and I think that was the one flaw about him before and if he can continue to keep his cool and keep being the terrific goalie he is, then I feel he's gonna go far and make quite an impression in the future!
Congrats Dusty, you deserve it!!! :thumb:

Carebear
04-23-2006, 06:27 PM
I remember hating slade at the beginning of the year for some reason, now I think he's awesome.

I do still see some anger in him..when he skates around during stops in play, his eyes..looks like he's gonna take someones head off, but maybe thats just his concentration.

But congrats Dustin!!! :groovy:

N.W. Bruin
04-23-2006, 09:04 PM
As the 15 shutouts will not show up anywhere in the records as the league keeps separate the regular season and playoff records on the books. Some regular season records don't even have a corresponding playoff record in the guide books or on the WHL official site.

dondo
04-24-2006, 01:03 PM
hey NWB doesn't 4 shutouts tie a WHL playoff record? I too would like to see Dustin get another shutout these playoffs, it would be a great cap to his season.

Beaner
04-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Yes he is tied with a bunch of guys with 4 shut-outs in a single playoff season.

N.W. Bruin
04-24-2006, 01:57 PM
hey NWB doesn't 4 shutouts tie a WHL playoff record? I too would like to see Dustin get another shutout these playoffs, it would be a great cap to his season.

At least playoff record wise. His 15 shutouts is about the same number as the New Westminster goalies had in their four championship years combined. I should look that up for the exact number.

Section_Z
04-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Yes he is tied with a bunch of guys with 4 shut-outs in a single playoff season.

And then there were 5.

Knuckles Muldoon
04-26-2006, 12:44 AM
And then there were 5.
...And NOW he's in, both officially and unofficially. The kid's on a roll. :thumb:

langdak
04-26-2006, 12:45 AM
5 shutouts in 13 playoff games..........WOW

congrats dustin, you deserve it :thumb:

dondo
04-26-2006, 01:02 AM
well there we go :groovy: sometimes we get what we want...

nice solid shutout for Dustin, great work.. he seems to be getting better with each game. He just might be earning a spot next year, a great playoff goalie is a valuable commodity.