PDA

View Full Version : Espo: Holding up

Tipped Off
04-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Esposito holding up to the pressure
Everett's backup goalie has stopped 48 of 53 shots after being pressed into action when Leland Irving was injured before Game 1 of the Silvertips playoff series with Vancouver.

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - Matt Esposito was thrown to the wolves. But so far he's still alive and kicking.

Esposito was thrust to the forefront when he was called upon to be the Everett Silvertips' starting goaltender for the WHL's Western Conference championship series against the Vancouver Giants. But so far Esposito's done his part.

"I've enjoyed it," Esposito said. "It would have been nice to win a game here (in Vancouver), but not having played for about a month, it's a pretty big shock."

Esposito was originally scheduled to be watching the series from the bench. But when No. 1 goaltender Leland Irving suffered a pulled groin muscle the day before the series began, the burden fell to Esposito.

"I found out (I'd be starting) at the morning skate the day of the first game," Esposito said. "But I kind of had a feeling the night before, so I tried to prepare myself."

It would have been understandable if Esposito struggled. The rookie just turned 17 earlier this month, and he received little work during the season. He appeared in 15 games, but started just six. He compiled a 3-5-1-0 record with decent statistics - a 2.48 goals against average and .904 save percentage - but faced nothing like what he's now experiencing in the playoffs.

However, Esposito's acquitted himself well. He's given up just five goals in two games, stopping 48 of the 53 shots he's faced. Two of the goals were ones that he would have liked back. But on one he appeared to be interfered with while the goal went in, and another was given despite being knocked in with a blatantly high stick. Esposito has also come up with some good saves when the Tips needed it, and goaltending is not the reason why Everett finds itself trailing the best-of-seven series 2-0.

"I was quite nervous in the first period of the first game and a couple goals got by me," Esposito said. "But I settled down in the second period and kind of got into a groove."

Everett coach Kevin Constantine said Irving probably wouldn't be available until Game 5 at the earliest, which means Esposito will continue to be the man for the Tips.

"There's a lot more pressure, but you try to zone that out," Esposito said. "The boys are playing hard in front of me, that's all you can ask for."

Top prospects: Everett had six players listed in the final Central Scouting Bureau rankings for the upcoming NHL Draft.

Center Peter Mueller, considered a likely lottery pick, was the sixth-ranked player among North American skaters. Left wing Ondrej Fiala was ranked 14th, right wing Brady Calla was ranked 28th, defenseman Graham Potuer was ranked 43rd and defenseman Jonathan Harty was ranked 121st. Mueller and Fiala were the two top-ranked skaters from the WHL.

Irving was ranked second among North American goaltenders and was the top-ranked goalie from the WHL.

Defenseman Erik Johnson from the U.S. Under-18 team was the top-ranked North American skater. Jonathan Bernier from Lewiston of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League was the top-ranked North American goaltender.

Award finalists: Kelowna left wing Justin Keller and Calgary goaltender Justin Pogge were named the finalists for WHL Player of the Year.

Keller, the Western Conference selection, led the league in goals with 51. The 1986-born left wing finished with 88 points total.

Pogge, the Eastern Conference selection, finished first in the league in goals against average (1.72) and save percentage (.926). The 1986-born Pogge also tied for the league lead in shutouts with 11.

TheBrass
04-24-2006, 04:36 PM
All I have to say is WOW. I was really impressed with the level of composure that Esposito demonstrated in his 2 starts here in Vancouver. He's a player I will be keeping an eye out for in the future. Between him and Mucha from Portland, I think the Vancouver fans have had a great preview of what may be to come in the future.

dondo
04-24-2006, 05:03 PM
agreed I think Espo has been very good and he's hard to beat close in and down low. I think The Giants are fortunate not to have Irving in there, but Matt hasn't been making it any easier on us. Looks like the future for the Silvertips between the pipes is mighty bright.

ihlemic10
04-24-2006, 11:33 PM
The problem with Espo is having Irving being 18 and Espo just turing 17, they are too close in age. I would think Espo won't get that much ice time and be traded next year and have a younger goalie come up and be ready for when Irving leaves to be able to get more than a year out of him like we would Espo with the current situation.