PDA

View Full Version : KC: Hits to head a concern

Tipped Off
04-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Hits to the head concern Constantine
Giants aren't buying Silvertips coach's story

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - The flash point came midway through the second period of Friday's Game 1 of the WHL's Western Conference championship series between the Everett Silvertips and Vancouver Giants.

Everett left wing Ondrej Fiala was backtracking for the puck. Unbeknownst to him, Vancouver's Gilbert Brule had Fiala in his sights.

Brule appeared to get his arm up before he leveled Fiala.

Fiala crumpled to the ice, had to be helped to the locker room, and subsequently missed Saturday's Game 2 with an apparent concussion. No penalty was called on the play.

That hit prompted Everett coach Kevin Constantine to sound off again on an issue he's had plenty to say about during his three seasons in charge of the Silvertips: Hits to the head.

" (The Giants) have the right to play hard and they have their style," Constantine said. "I respect them for that, I really do. I just think we have to make sure we're also creating an environment where young kids can develop their careers, too. The concussions are astronomically skyrocketing and players are losing careers from concussions. I have a deep concern with that."

Everett currently has two players out with apparent concussions. In addition to Fiala, left wing Karel Hromas also suffered an apparent concussion in Game 1, when after being checked by Vancouver defenseman Brett Festerling he fell to the ice and slid head first into the boards.

Hromas also sat out Game 2. Adding to the situation is the history between the two teams.

Everett suffered its share of injuries at the hands of the Giants during the regular season. Notable was Milan Lucic's hit from behind that drove Everett center Peter Mueller into the boards. Mueller sustained a concussion.

"Vancouver plays hard and I really respect how hard they play," Constantine said. "But the league has told us there's an emphasis on hits to the head, and we've had six guys get concussions against Vancouver now.

''I take nothing away from them because I really like the way they play. I think they're physical and they play hard, and I think that's the right way to play. But we've been told by the league that some of the hits we've passed along are penalties, but they never get called.

"There's a miscommunication between what the league's telling us and what the league's telling the referees," Constantine continued. "We keep getting hits to the head that are concussions and there's never a call, and when we ask the league about it the league says it should have been a penalty. By then it's kind of late, you've got a guy out for two weeks. It's pretty frustrating."

The Giants aren't buying Constantine's story. They believe it's a case of Constantine, with his team trailing the best-of-seven series 2-0, trying to sway the officiating in Everett's direction.

"He's saying things for a reason," Vancouver coach Don Hay told the Vancouver Province. "Everett would like this to be a specialty teams game. We'd like it to be a five-on-five game. That plays to our strengths. "I don't think we're a dirty team. I don't think we take needless penalties. We're an honest team. We don't go out to hurt anybody, we don't dive and try to draw penalties either."

The Giants also aren't planning on changing the way they play.

"It's Constantine," Vancouver center Brett Parker told the Province. "I guess it's a head game, coming with a lot of media being around. Constantine has worked the media before. We just have to stick to our game and our game is being physical."

But Constantine has been consistent over the years with his views on hits to the head, and the Tips have certainly received more concussions than they've caused.

"My concern is with my players," Constantine said. "They're our family, and I'm dealing with young men that everything I do for them impacts their whole lives. I feel responsible for that."

Tipped Off
04-24-2006, 10:15 AM
At Even Strength the Tips are holding their own....

4 on 4 the Tips outscored the Giants 1-0 (Kress)
5 on 5 the Tips outscored the Giants 1-0 (Harty)
5 on 4 the Giants outscored the Tips 2-0 (Albers & Bliznak)
4 on 5 the Giants outscored the Tips 1-0 (Bartley)
5 on 6 the Giants outscored the Tips 1-0 (Brule)

Tipped Off
04-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Giants make Hay over suggestions team is 'dirty'

'Not trying to hurt anyone,' coach says

Don Hay: 'We're not dirty.'

Published: Monday, April 24, 2006

Punishing? Yes. Dirty. No.

Don Hay was making no apologies Sunday for the way his Vancouver Giants have staked a two-game series lead over the Everett Silvertips in the WHL's Western Conference final. The Giants shut out the Silvertips 2-0 on Saturday in front of a crowd of 9,766 at the Pacific Coliseum to take a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven series. Games 3 and 4 will be played at the Everett Events Center on Tuesday and Thursday, respectively.

Hay was reacting to repeated suggestions by Silvertips general manager and head coach Kevin Constantine that the Giants are crossing the line when it comes to their physical play.

Everett lost forwards Ondrej Fiala and Karel Hromas with suspected concussions in the series opener on Friday. Neither were back in the lineup for Game 2.

Following both games, Constantine all but accused the Giants of headhunting.

"We're not a dirty team," said Hay, following a video session with his players. "We play hard and physical and that's by finishing our checks. We're definitely not trying to hurt anyone. We're just trying to play a good, clean, physical brand of hockey."

The Giants have initiated the physical play through the first two games of the series and more than a few Silvertips have lost their lids after being on the wrong end of a check. Still, no penalties were assessed on the hits to Fiala and Hromas. Brule's crushing blow to Fiala was reviewed by league officials following Friday's game and no discipline was handed out. The hit -- no matter how punishing -- was deemed within the rules.

Constantine scoffed at the notion he was trying to put the officials on notice in order to give his smaller, less physical team a better chance to win.

"The only posturing I'm doing there is worrying about the careers of young men," said Constantine. "This is fun to compete, this is fun to try to win, but we're dealing with 16- to 20-year-old kids who have entire lives in front of them, entire careers in front of them based on their development. They should be allowed to develop."

Constantine also took offence with the suggestion his team is just wearing down from the tenacious Giants forecheck.

"You'd have to watch our team play for three years. I don't think we're on the other side of that issue. Do you know what our team's been like for three years, understand the way we've played? We've tried to play competitive and physical, but we've never . . . we actually teach our players how to check legally and how not to hurt other guys. It's under the realm of discipline as much as it's under the realm of not wanting to hurt other guys. But it's still a little bit the same concept."

While refusing to get into a war of words with Constantine, Hay chose to end the debate on a seemingly cryptic note.

"I can't respond to how he coaches or how he directs his team -- it's none of my business," said Hay. "We're just focused on our team. We're a team that plays physical and doesn't believe in diving or having penalties called against us if they're not there and we're going to continue to play the same way."

n Giants goalie Dustin Slade made the WHL record books with his 20-save performance on Saturday. The shutout was his fourth of the post-season and 15th this year, setting a WHL record for shutouts in the regular season/playoffs. Former Kelowna Rockets goalie Kelly Guard set the previous record in 2003-04 with 14.

iwalker@png.canwest.com

Tuesday

Giants at Everett Silvertips

7 p.m.

Beaner
04-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Two ex-nhl coaches having a war of words in the media. Looks to me like both of them are trying to influence the media and the officials.

I would expect no less from either of them.

Heshkak
04-24-2006, 01:51 PM
It's part of the job as head coach. They both do their jobs well. It's also good for the game, by stirring up some drama they fill more seats in the arena.

Beaner
04-24-2006, 02:31 PM
It's part of the job as head coach. They both do their jobs well. It's also good for the game, by stirring up some drama they fill more seats in the arena.

Yeah I agree fully with that, and they also may get a few more calls their way as well. At least they are planting some seeds in the officials head for the next match up.

CB123
04-24-2006, 06:44 PM
I don’t think Hay has to apologize for anything, they were clean hits? This is hockey, not figure skating.

Tipped Off
04-25-2006, 09:27 AM
not sure I saw anywhere in the article where anyone was asking him to apologize? Maybe you read something into it I didn't. I think Constantine was only making the point that they coach two different styles. Neither of them are "wrong" they are just "different".

there are those that believe KC's style is not condusive to the boys playing at the next level. I would say the same thing about the hammer em hard style that Hay Coaches. With the game today on the NHL level, that will just get you more box time. For this level, it works great. Keeps the opponent off balance and gives your team an advantage. More power to him.

Different philosophies, no apologies needed.

CB123
04-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Don Hay was making no apologies Sunday for the way his Vancouver Giants have staked a two-game series lead over the Everett Silvertips in the WHL's Western Conference final.

I was just talking about that.

Crosby rules
04-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Hits to the head????????? take a look at the hits very closely. Try to be unbiased when viewing them. Brule in game 1, caught the guy with his head down. Hey when i played and i saw that . i was salivating. obviously the ref did not think it was an elbow or hit to the head. His (brule's) shoulder was at head level.

old_time_hockey
05-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Hits to the head????????? take a look at the hits very closely. Try to be unbiased when viewing them. Brule in game 1, caught the guy with his head down. Hey when i played and i saw that . i was salivating. obviously the ref did not think it was an elbow or hit to the head. His (brule's) shoulder was at head level.

Well the leauge viewed tape of the Brule hit and said that it was within the rules. KC has to stand up like that but he took crying about the refs to a whole new level in that series.

I like Fistrics comment in one article where he fired back saying well they go down easy.

Tipped Off
05-05-2006, 11:24 AM
You did not seriously just say he took crying to a whole new level did you? Of all the teams we played this season, the Giant sin this series Creid more to the refs than I've ever seen before...which is weird because they got most of the calls their way. It certainly did not decided the series. The better team dominated and won, but the whining by the Giants was pretty unbearable to watch.

old_time_hockey
05-09-2006, 11:19 AM
I don't care what the players do. I'm talking about the coaches. Crying in the media, as much as KC did, is classless. If you have a complaint about the refs or a specific hit, call the league office. Which he did. But when they review it and tell you there is nothing wrong with the hits, shut it. Don't go back to the media to cry some more. He was trying to play the underdog card. We all know that.

And don't kid yourself. The Tips players boo hoo all the way to the box too. That's why I don't care what the players do. Everyone that has played any amount of competative hockey always thinks that they are innocent when getting called for something. But I think that Fistric is right. Some of the Tips have gone to the Forsberg School of Diving.

And if you think the Giants got all the calls their way, re-watch game 4. Calling double minor for high stick and checking from behind on the Tips is not calling it the Giants way. Giants got called for high sticks and checking from behind as well.

Tipped Off
05-09-2006, 11:51 AM
...speaking of Crying. Why are you whining when your team is up 3-0 in the conference finals? Move on already.

rinkrat
05-09-2006, 12:19 PM
...speaking of Crying. Why are you whining when your team is up 3-0 in the conference finals? Move on already.
League finals!!! :D
I know you made an honest mistake,just had to point it out,it could be a while till the boys do it again!
Have a great summer Tipped Off,maybe we'll see you at the draft.With all those Tips getting drafted,I hope there is a strong Tips contingent in town.

old_time_hockey
05-09-2006, 12:33 PM

Lets review the situation.

I made a comment a long time ago when it was still fairly relevant which you chose to comment on now. So really, who needs to move on?

Guess you aren't allowed to have your own opinions in Tips land. But just for you I will take the Don Hay way out and let any more comments slide.

Tipped Off
05-09-2006, 02:03 PM
RinkRat:
I'll be there!

Old_time_Hockey: I guess since you DID take a parting jab, you took the Kevin Constantine way out, not the Don Hay way out. They both are equal whiners, so it really doesn't matter...lol.

BTW, I'm just poking fun....junior hockey is a hobby, not a life, for me...so none of this should be taken seriously. I haven't jabbed with you before, so I wanted to make sure I point that out.

Good luck to the Giants in game 4 of the LEAGUE finals and in the Mem. Cup tournament. If Vancouver wins, Tips fans can then boast the Tips beat & lost to a team in the playoffs that went on to win the Memorial cup (Kelowna 03-04 & Vancouver 05-06).

ihlemic10
05-09-2006, 07:59 PM
I don't care what the players do. I'm talking about the coaches. Crying in the media, as much as KC did, is classless. If you have a complaint about the refs or a specific hit, call the league office. Which he did. But when they review it and tell you there is nothing wrong with the hits, shut it. Don't go back to the media to cry some more. He was trying to play the underdog card. We all know that.

And don't kid yourself. The Tips players boo hoo all the way to the box too. That's why I don't care what the players do. Everyone that has played any amount of competative hockey always thinks that they are innocent when getting called for something. But I think that Fistric is right. Some of the Tips have gone to the Forsberg School of Diving.

And if you think the Giants got all the calls their way, re-watch game 4. Calling double minor for high stick and checking from behind on the Tips is not calling it the Giants way. Giants got called for high sticks and checking from behind as well.

I'll dig up old history but in Game 4 the double minor for High Stick was bull. The guy missed his check, hit his own head agains the glass and cut himself. Me and several others doubted the call. I am not whining just wondering.

old_time_hockey
05-10-2006, 01:58 PM
RinkRat:
I'll be there!

Old_time_Hockey: I guess since you DID take a parting jab, you took the Kevin Constantine way out, not the Don Hay way out. They both are equal whiners, so it really doesn't matter...lol.

BTW, I'm just poking fun....junior hockey is a hobby, not a life, for me...so none of this should be taken seriously. I haven't jabbed with you before, so I wanted to make sure I point that out.

Good luck to the Giants in game 4 of the LEAGUE finals and in the Mem. Cup tournament. If Vancouver wins, Tips fans can then boast the Tips beat & lost to a team in the playoffs that went on to win the Memorial cup (Kelowna 03-04 & Vancouver 05-06).

I don't mind good discussion. Even if there are strong (and most of the time homer) opinions. I don't take anything personally on the internet anyway.

Junior fans are way more homers than NHL fans. That's what makes junior hockey great.

Besides...KC might be gone anyway...if the list of potential coaches that the Canucks are looking at is true. I almost choked on my coffee and muffin when I read that. Then thought to myself, do I really want to clear this blockage if he IS going to be the coach? ;)

ihlemic10
05-11-2006, 12:52 PM
I doubt he would. Why would he live us if he is practically the GM here? He already has a couple of names on the Stanley...and he has said he does not wish to go back to the NHL.

Tipped Off
05-11-2006, 02:27 PM
That's a lot different than what I'v eheard out of him. When I hear him talk about it he says things like, "I really enjoy this level" and "I'm in no rush to get back to the NHL" but not... "I don't want to go back to the NHL".

Beaner
05-13-2006, 11:30 AM
I cant see KC leaving for the NHL for at least 2 years, not with the team he has built in Everett.

Maybe he gets the call to Coach Team USA at the WJHC this year though?

Probably a long shot since he coaches in the CHL, and Hockey USA doesn't like the CHL.

old_time_hockey
05-19-2006, 11:05 AM
I cant see KC leaving for the NHL for at least 2 years, not with the team he has built in Everett.

Maybe he gets the call to Coach Team USA at the WJHC this year though?

Probably a long shot since he coaches in the CHL, and Hockey USA doesn't like the CHL.

If someone makes him an offer he can't refuse, anything can happen.

Same as Sutter in Red Deer. He hasn't ruled it out, but he has more tying him down to the Rebels. Being owner, GM, Coach and having your son on the team.

But I can see why coaches that have put NHL time in aren't in a hurry to get back. Don't have ego problems in the WHL. And if you do, you can fix it fairly easy. No salary cap or contract issues. That and the players are there to soak up all the info and instruction that you can give them.

Kristi
05-19-2006, 12:30 PM
It's hard to say how long he will be here. He is a single parent of an infant son that I'm sure is going to play into any decision he makes. He also spends as much time with his older two sons as possible.

I would like him to stay here forever but who knows! :)