PDA

View Full Version : Kalus wants to take next step

nivek_wahs
04-28-2006, 12:24 PM

Kalus wants to take next step

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, April 28, 2006

Petr Kalus has every intention of coming back to Regina -- even if he's only passing through.

With the ink still fresh on his first NHL contract, Kalus is already making preparations for an impending pro audition with the Boston Bruins. In doing so, he might also be getting ready to say farewell to the Regina Pats.

The gifted sniper hopes to get a running start on Boston's training camp by joining the Pats for a late-summer reunion. The WHL club typically makes icetime available to its veteran players several days before their official workouts start in the first week of September.

"I want to come to Regina and skate with the guys," Kalus said Thursday from his home in the Czech Republic. "I talked to (GM) Brent Parker and he said, 'Petr, if you want you can come to Regina in August, you can practise with the team before you go to training camp.' "

Kalus's stay could be a brief one.

Now that he's under contract, the Bruins have the option of assigning him to their AHL affiliate in Providence as early as next season.

Kalus does not fall under the restrictions which apply to 19-year-old players from North America, who must be returned to their junior teams if they don't make the big club. Since Kalus was drafted out of Europe -- before he came to the WHL -- the Bruins are not obliged to send him back to Regina.

In fact, Kalus has already been told by his agent, former NHLer Petr Svoboda, that he should focus on landing a pro job next season rather than continuing his junior career.

"He said it's good for me to play next level," said Kalus, Boston's second-round pick in the 2005 NHL entry draft. "My dream is to play NHL, but if I'm not playing on the first team I want to play in the AHL with Providence."

Regina's brass is crossing its fingers that Boston will see things another way. Parker is on the record as saying he believes another year of development would do a world of good for Kalus, who led all WHL rookies last season with 36 goals and was instrumental in the team's surprising 40-win season.

As for Kalus's wishes, he reiterated that although it's his hope to be in the pros next season, Regina would still be a viable fall-back option.

However, a return to the junior ranks isn't something he's even considering at this time.

"(Staying in Regina) would be good," he added, "but I'm just concentrating on playing pro. I'm so excited for next season. Right now I just want to play there next year.

"It's big motivation."

wango tango
04-28-2006, 03:40 PM
the tough thing is selfishly you want kalus to be in regina because he can dominate in the whl next year, then you try and reconcile that with the knowledge he was the talent to play at the ahl or nhl level next season.

what's best for his development? my guess is boston has him in providence next year. it's a blow to the pats because goal scoring could be a minor concern for the pats next season.

still they are my early favourites to be the best team in the division and conference next season.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Kalus was one of our best players last year, and was only a rookie. Of course we want kalus on our team. If he goes pro, thats great. Maybe he will play with boston for a little while, then sent back to the whl early in the year, like barker and brule were. Thats probably the best possible outcome, next to whole season in junior

Number_4
04-28-2006, 05:47 PM
I want to see him back in a Pats uniform next year, yet at the same time, I want the kid to get a chance at the NHL. That being said, I dont see Klaus being a full-time NHL player next year. Chances are that he will either play in Regina or the AHL. Wouldnt surprise me a bit if he would spend at least some time in Providence before being sent back to Regina.

Dwight Schrute
04-29-2006, 03:35 PM
even though im a raider fan
i am a big believer in kids not going pro early
kalus would be better served by a year in jr
even if it is just to let his body grow
he also may not be stong enough yet(although he has the skill) for the ahl

Bran
04-29-2006, 05:51 PM
even though im a raider fan
i am a big believer in kids not going pro early
kalus would be better served by a year in jr
even if it is just to let his body grow
he also may not be stong enough yet(although he has the skill) for the ahl
That's what I said about Brule and Crosby last year...they may have the skill to play at that level, they may even have the size, but I don't think they've quite got the maturity that comes with age and experience.