PDA

View Full Version : Giants vs. Warriors Series

Beaner
04-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Ok, this is really tough considering the MJ never plays in Vancouver and Vice-Versa, just a lot of numbers to look at. Not that that is much to draw a conclusion on, but it’s what we got.

BY THE NUMBERS

Overall Season Record
Records: Giants: 47-19-0-6 (100points), Warriors: 44-20-5-3 (96points)
PP: Giants 19.6% (3rd overall), Warriors: 16.1% (11th Overall)
PK: Giants 86.9% (1st overall), Warriors: 84.1% (11th overall)
20+ Goal Scorers: Giants 6, Warriors: 4.
50+ Point Players: Giants 5, Warriors: 2
GF: Giants 252, Warriors: 278
GA: Giants 156, Warriors: 205

Road Record: Giants 23-9-0-4, Warriors:17-14-3-2
Home Record: Giants 24-10-0-2, Warriors: 27-6-2-1

Head to Head Series
Nov 16th Giants 3 @ Warriors 4 (SO) PP- Giants 1/6, Warriors 0/4

Playoff Stats
Win/Loss Giants 12-2 (2otw) Warriors 12-5-1 (3otw)
PP Giants 18/88 20.5% Warriors 9/89 10.1%
PK Giants 3/82 96.3% Warriors 12/91 86.8%
GF Giants 49 Warriors 51
GA Giants 14 Warriors 36

Home Record: Giants 6-2 Warriors 6-3
Road Record: Giants 6-0 Warriors 6-3

Top 3 Playoff Scorers
Giants:
Brule 14gp 11g 7a 18pts
Franson 14gp 3g 12a 15pts
Machacek 14gp 5g 7a 12pts

Warriors:
Blair Jones 18gp 8g 11a 19pts
Steven Gillen18gp 6g 11a 17pts
Riley Holzapel 18gp 7g 8a 15pts

Goaltending Stats:
Dustin Slade 14gp, 293shots, 14ga, 6so, Avg: 0.98, Sv% 0.952 12w 1L
Joey Perricone 18gp, 521shots, 35ga, 2so, Avg: 1.90 SV% 0.933 12w 5L 1OTL

Injuries
Injuries? Nobody is hurt its only the 4th round of the playoffs……

Comparison based on Numbers only.
Forwards
The Warriors finished the year with 3 players in the top ten of scoring and have been a scoring machine all year long, and have continued that trend into the playoffs this year. The Giants as well have been putting up a lot of numbers, but it comes from more bodies scattered through-out the lineup. EDGE WARRIORS
DEFENCE
Not even close IMO. The Giants have been considered the #1 D all year long, except for maybe MH, but 6 shut-outs in 14 games is as much a goalie stat as it is Defense. 53 straight PK in a row is number that is simply amazing. EDGE GIANTS
SPECIAL TEAMS
The Giants have the edge both on the PK and the PP in both the Regular Season, and the Post-season. This is a no contest. EDGE GIANTS
GOALTENDING
Slade is having a goaltending year to be remembered, and it will be in the record books. more than likely for a very long time. Perricone has brought his game to a new level, and from what I am hearing is one of the main reasons that MJ has gotten past MH. Perricone has faced a lot more shots then Slade, but it is hard to go against a guy who has a GAA of less than 1. EVEN
COACHING
Hay vs. Young. I have to admit I have no idea what Young brings to the table. Young has gotten his team past the #1, and #2 seeds in the East, and that is no small accomplishment, but Hay has just made one of the best coaches in Constantine look like an amateur in the last series. Hay has out-coached every coach thus far in the playoffs, making adjustments to each teams’ style of play that the other coaches could not combat. I see no reason why this doesn’t stop now. EDGE-GIANTS
INTANGIBLES
1st time for both of these teams in the Finals. So experience is a wash. I think the big edge here is for MJ, they knocked off the #1 and the #2 teams in the league, they have to believe that they can beat the #3 team as well. EDGE-WARRIORS

KEYS TO WINNING

WARRIORS
1. Perriconne will have to continue his stellar play..
2. Special teams, the PP needs to get some chances, and the PK will have to be top notch to stop the Giants.
3. Take the hits. The Giants will come hard at the Warriors, just as they have all playoffs. Dmen will have to learn to take the hits, but not panic or make mistakes with the Giants Forwards bearing down on them.
GIANTS
1. Work. Continue to out-work the opponents.
2. Hit hit hit. Every series the Giants have pounded the opposition, and it causes them to make mistakes with the puck. Continue to pound the opposition.
3. Get a lot of quality rubber at Perricone. He can stop those out-side shots all night long. Take a lot of shots, but quality shots.

And now for the total Homer prediction, based on nothing.

Predicition Giants in 5

Who really knows, and who cares we are in the finals. May the best team win. :thumb:

Knuckles Muldoon
04-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Its tough to make a prediction in a series where the opposing team is almost a complete unknown to us. I've got to think about this...

Beaner
04-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Its tough to make a prediction in a series where the opposing team is almost a complete unknown to us. I've got to think about this...

I gave you an out this time on the poll Knuckles. :laugh: ;)

N.W. Bruin
04-28-2006, 11:04 PM
And knowing that they can score as well as McArdle. Herman, Hansen ect. can clip in pretty good too. Should be a great series. Hopefully both teams come start the series without losing anything with the week's layoff.

N.W. Bruin
04-28-2006, 11:10 PM
The double Bs tied it up for Moose Jaw and almost won it in regulation. It was a great road trip that could have been slightly better.

Moose Jaw Canucks first playoff league champions in the Dub's orginal season. Lasted two seasons before being dropped from league. Vancouver Nats also played two seasons in the league as a expansion team in the early 70s missing the playoffs before packing up for Kamloops and later moving to Seattle.

tiger fan 4 life
04-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Have had the pleasure of watching both teams live in the playoffs this year and all you fans attending will be in for a treat. Moose Jaw has a potent offense, but I give the Giants just a slight edge as they have impressed me in all aspects of their game - big, fast, and they play with a mean streak. If slade does not get rattled, I predict Giants in 7 hard fought and entertaining games. Enjoy and see you next year (hopefully in the finals)

WHEATKINGS 04-05 CHAMPS
04-29-2006, 10:23 AM
This series is going to be a barn burner for sure I predict that Mj in 6!!!

Crosby rules
04-29-2006, 11:13 AM
SORRY, but GIANTS in 5. goaltending is hot right now, and Brule is the catalyst.

Knuckles Muldoon
04-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Have had the pleasure of watching both teams live in the playoffs this year and all you fans attending will be in for a treat. Moose Jaw has a potent offense, but I give the Giants just a slight edge as they have impressed me in all aspects of their game - big, fast, and they play with a mean streak. If slade does not get rattled, I predict Giants in 7 hard fought and entertaining games. Enjoy and see you next year (hopefully in the finals)
To get acquainted with the MJ roster, I went over for a look. They've definitely got the size advantage on us. I'm hoping our relentless forecheck can cause their D a lot of problems. If so, we should end up okay. But Beaner, I'm still mulling it over, but I VILL BE BAAACK!

dondo
04-29-2006, 01:09 PM
I think that the Giants will take this and I am predicting in five. If we can shut down Lammers, and Mueller among others, I think we can handle Jones, although watching him play - he is dangerous.

Giants have been perfect away from their own barn in these playoffs and they have steadily got more solid as the playoffs have progressed.

Slade is not the Slade of the Regina Pats, when he'd meltdown every second game ;), he's steady and is enjoying the challenge of keeping his goal empty. Combine that with how well the team plays as a unit and the fact that we have depth scoring from all lines and I think the G-Men continue playing dominant hockey.

No disrespect to MJ at all as they have played some hard series, feeling like the underdog in each one, but I think the Giants complete game will win out in the end.

Knuckles Muldoon
04-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Slade is not the Slade of the Regina Pats, when he'd meltdown every second game ;), he's steady and is enjoying the challenge of keeping his goal empty.
Dondo, good point. If these folks think this is the Slade of 2 years ago, they're in for a rude awakeaning. Can you guys imagine what would have happened if we had Slade last year vs Kelowna? We might have won the damn thing. :(

dondo
04-29-2006, 01:38 PM
yeah Marek "the adventure" Schwarz did not do us any favours in that series, but then I think we have a better rounded team this year and Don Hay's systems are far more established.

WHEATKINGS 04-05 CHAMPS
04-29-2006, 02:22 PM
He played for the Wheatkings all of a week and he had 6 minutes in penaltys lol. I watched him on Shaw last week and I wondered who was behind the mask. Just think how much Slade's stock has gone up in 6 weeks, he has entered the draft this year i hope.

Beaner
04-29-2006, 02:42 PM
He played for the Wheatkings all of a week and he had 6 minutes in penaltys lol. I watched him on Shaw last week and I wondered who was behind the mask. Just think how much Slade's stock has gone up in 6 weeks, he has entered the draft this year i hope.

Slade has completely turned his game around. He is no longer the firecracker he was. Teams still try to run him and get him off his game, but for the most part he just skates away. Maybe a shot or a chop, but nothing worse than any other goalie in the league does when they get run.

And when Teams really take liberties, the rest of the Giants team make the offender pay.

Slade can just focus on stopping pucks. And he has done that amazingly well as this playoff run has shown.

KBF
04-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Ugh, I'm getting really tired of Slade getting all these accolades. Is he a good goalie? Yes, is he as great as his numbers would indicate? NO, throught these playoffs the Giants have averaged 20.9 shots a game against. Which tells me they have made Slades job a hell of alot easier, and most of the shots he does get they are rarely that of the quality variety.

His 16 shutouts and GAA are a record for his teamates, when he played for the Pats his GAA was average at best, which shows you put a solid group of guys in front of him, his numbers will inflate, the Giants would be just as succesful with 16 year old Sexsmith. I think its time to start giving the credit more to the defence and forwards than Slade himself.

As for his attitude, please sure he hasn't spazzed as much as years past, but there still have been glimpses of his selfish, little man syndrome outbursts throught the year. When Kassian clipped his legs, before that Slade had a minor meltdown which led to that. I do NOT think Slade has the talent or the mentality to become a NHL goalie ever, he'll float around in the ECHL and UHL for a few years before realizing he'll never get there, just ask other past great WHL goalies like Petruk, Belecki, Exner, Lindsay all of whom have retired and were better goalies than Slade was in a more offensive era of the WHL.

rinkrat
04-29-2006, 03:57 PM
KBF,just keep picking the Giants opponents to win the series'.Its done wonders for them so far.Thanks :clap:

dondo
04-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Sure Slade has had the benefit of playing behind a team which plays team defense well, but he has made the saves he has needed to make. He saved a game in Portland when the Giants were out-shot badly in the first period. He did the same thing in Everett series.

He has consistently got better throughout the season (but took time getting a rhythm going). He has elevated his game in the playoffs and that not just the team in front of him, but its making the big save at the right time.

Shutout streaks come from excellent play and a bit of luck, but you need to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good and he's been both - in spades. Dustin may or may not become an NHL goalie, but right now he's on top of his game and he's helping his team win the games they need to win. Sexsmith would not have been as good, nor Tommy T, and you know it.

Knuckles Muldoon
04-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Slade has completely turned his game around. He is no longer the firecracker he was. Teams still try to run him and get him off his game, but for the most part he just skates away. Maybe a shot or a chop, but nothing worse than any other goalie in the league does when they get run.

And when Teams really take liberties, the rest of the Giants team make the offender pay.

Slade can just focus on stopping pucks. And he has done that amazingly well as this playoff run has shown.
Yep. Slade has decided that he enjoys winning far more than he does whacking guys and punching them in the head. This is the new, improved, politically corect Dustin Slade (WHL Record Holder).

dondo
04-29-2006, 07:26 PM
he's still a bit crazy though.. having his rituals and routines :thumb: , but i say if it works keep it.

Its been a trip watching Slade this season, he's a hell of a character

Swando
04-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Hey Beaner the recap of the two teams was great. I found it amaziing that Giants had more scorers etc that the Warriors. I checked the stats and I see MJ has the following:

Brouwer 49 53 102
Boyd 48 42 90
Jones 35 50 85
McArdle 28 43 71
Holzapfel 19 38 57
Svensson17 38 55

They have 4 - 20+ scorers
They have 6 - 50+ pt getters
*I think Brouwer was the point leader in the WHL

Beaner
04-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Hey Beaner the recap of the two teams was great. I found it amaziing that Giants had more scorers etc that the Warriors. I checked the stats and I see MJ has the following:

Brouwer 49 53 102
Boyd 48 42 90
Jones 35 50 85
McArdle 28 43 71
Holzapfel 19 38 57
Svensson17 38 55

They have 4 - 20+ scorers
They have 6 - 50+ pt getters
*I think Brouwer was the point leader in the WHL

Well that looks better. I was wondering what the heck was up with that. Lets call it operator error. ;)

Jimmy
04-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Giants in 6, winning it at home.

agent
04-30-2006, 08:27 PM
To get acquainted with the MJ roster, I went over for a look. They've definitely got the size advantage on us. I'm hoping our relentless forecheck can cause their D a lot of problems. If so, we should end up okay. But Beaner, I'm still mulling it over, but I VILL BE BAAACK!

The Brandon and Calgary series developed the Warriors physical presents. Watch the Warriors crash and bang the Giants (?) :D like they haven't experienced this season. Just like they broke down the Tigers. :dead:

Kassian
04-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Moose Jaw might have a size advantage but Vancouver is a tougher team. So I wouldn't worry too much about that....

dondo
04-30-2006, 11:22 PM
agreed ^

watching the MH/MJ series they both played a pretty open style, but the Giants won't give the Warriors that much ice and their fore-check is organized and aggressive. I don't see the Warriors getting the kind of turnovers and odd-man rushes they got versus The Hat.

It'll also be a battle of the goaltenders.

Should be a good series regardless, but I still say ther Giants have the edge. Part of that being a deeper team and the ability for all four of our lines to contribute on the score-sheet, not to mention the best defensive corps in the Dub.

Bran
04-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Giants in 6, winning it at home.
I'm with you. I'm a little surprised at those Warriors though, aren't they getting tired yet? They must be running almost solely on adrenalin now, imagine the crash when their season is over...they'll probably sleep for a week! You can't really talk about an underdog in this series. Based solely on the regular season, Vancouver finished third and MJ was, what, fourth? And looking at the playoffs so far, they've done just fine at knocking off "stonger" teams. It'll be a battle, for sure, but I say the Giants take it.

KBF, what did Dustin Slade ever do to you? I get the feeling he could pull someone from a burning building and you'd find a way to spin it to make him look like the bad guy! Yeah, he's got a great team in front of him, but it's his job to stop the puck and when it gets past them, and he seems to be doing a pretty fine job of that. Who knows for sure where he'll end up, but don't worry about him so much! He'll be just fine.

Crosby rules
05-01-2006, 11:40 AM
this is to Wheat kings champs 04-05, Slade is the only undefeated goaltender in wheat kings history. HA, HA! all kidding aside. the giants have the momentum right now, they are an unstoppable juggernaut.

Beaner
05-01-2006, 11:56 AM
The Brandon and Calgary series developed the Warriors physical presents. Watch the Warriors crash and bang the Giants (?) :D like they haven't experienced this season. Just like they broke down the Tigers. :dead:

Heh, Giants will be returning the Physical play, just ask the Tips. Cant wait to see a good hitting series.

Crosby rules
05-01-2006, 03:11 PM
U know what they say. SPEED KILLS! I think that if u make MJ skate they will tire

old_time_hockey
05-02-2006, 12:48 PM
I went Giants in 5.

I think their physical style is going to grind away at the Warriors.

And the roll that the GMen have going right now is amazing.

WHEATKINGS 04-05 CHAMPS
05-02-2006, 01:46 PM
haha I never thought of it that way but Slade is the only undefeted WK goalie to my knowledge :clap:

N.W. Bruin
05-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Justin Maylan (Moose Jaw first round pick)

Evander Kane (Vancouver first round pick)

Both from Vancouver so likely both going to be in attendance.

GF71
05-04-2006, 02:05 PM
ONLY ONE MORE SLEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Beaner
05-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Justin Maylan (Moose Jaw first round pick)

Evander Kane (Vancouver first round pick)

Both from Vancouver so likely both going to be in attendance.

Now its really worth it to go LOL.