PDA

View Full Version : Malkin May Cost The Pens More Than A Few $$$

Toswammi
05-01-2006, 05:21 PM
From the Tsn Website. Looks as if Malkins team is trying to make a few dollars on the career of Malkin. Just another reason why i (and most of the world) hate the Russian Ice Hockey Federation

If the Pittsburgh Penguins want Evgeni Malkin in uniform next season, it may cost millions of dollars in transfer fees.

According to Reuters, Malkin's Russian team feels the Penguins must buy out the sniper's contract before he can leave for North America. The Russian Federation has not signed a transfer agreement with the NHL. The current deal endorsed by the IIHF would see the team receive $900,000 in compensation.

"We're not asking for ($900,000) compensation from Penguins. Such a sum is a handout and we're not interested in handouts," Metallurg Magnitogorsk general director Gennady Velichkin told Russian media. "Put simply, they must buy his contract from us."

Malkin, who was picked second overall behind countryman Alexander Ovechkin in the 2004 Entry Draft, scored 21 goals and 47 points in 46 games in the Russian SuperLeague last season. And now he wants to play in Pittsburgh.

"I've already made up my mind for next season -- I'll be leaving for the NHL," Malkin told the Sport-Express newspaper. "I'm 100 percent sure of that.

When asked how much the Penguins should have to pay for the services of Malkin, Velichkin made a comparison to soccer star Andriy Shevchenko's move from Dynamo Kiev to AC Milan for $25 million.

"Dynamo received millions from Milan for Shevchenko, why can't we get that?, asked Velichkin. "But I can't name the exact price for Malkin. We must wait for Pittsburgh's offer first."

Malkin is widely regarded as the best player not currently playing in the NHL.

Tiger Trauma
05-01-2006, 05:28 PM
I can see russia's point in wanting to recieve some money for malkin...but 900K is ridiculous. I'd say give them 50k max...take it or leave it, cause malkin wants to go to the nhl anyways

SectionNDeserter
05-01-2006, 05:53 PM
I can see russia's point in wanting to recieve some money for malkin...but 900K is ridiculous. I'd say give them 50k max...take it or leave it, cause malkin wants to go to the nhl anywaysThis is exactly why there has always been a higher number of Czech imports, and a growing number of Scandanavian and other import players the last few years in the WHL. There is normally too much politics involved in getting a Russian prospect over here for junior teams to bother.

dondo
05-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Any wonder why there were no Russian players drafted in the first round last year? The Russian Federation has to get over their "legend in their own mind status" If players wish to remain in Russia then its Russia that should be paying compensation to the NHL imo.

Not signing the transfer payment contract might see promising Russians languishing in the less than stellar quality Russian hockey system. There are many young stars coming from other countries that Russia itself is not such an important player anymore. Over-all the competition level is lower and the young Russian guns are going to lose any advantage playing against lesser opponents.

The_Vulk
05-07-2006, 06:24 PM
The one thing that net-article does not say, is that there was talk that they wanted the same type of 'contract buy-outs' as is common in the World of Football (soccer).

What they don't realize, is that while the NHL is the richest Hockey League in the world, the league and the Penguins are not on the same level as a FC Manchester United, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Juventus, Milan, Arsenal, Liverpool, etc.