PDA

View Full Version : blades import draft

wango tango
05-01-2006, 05:52 PM
they will probably have two import spots open. with their first selection i feel they will take an 88 born player probably a winger, although with where they are in the draft may just go for the best player available.

with their second selection i wonder if they'll take a flyer on a younger 89 born player who may not report this season (who knows maybe they'd report this season), but would come the season after like a voracek, or a bashkirov.

i feel this is plausible for two reasons. a - with the impending implementation of the canadian talent development model, and the limiting of the number of import players on each team, this allows the blades some flexibility. b - if they select a younger player with their second pick they may be able to grab a talented player who would not normally be available at their pick come the 2007 import draft.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-01-2006, 07:23 PM
We know that Molleken has connections with NHL GM's so I am sure that the Blades will pick the best available player,I do not think we will see a European Goalie being picked(although Khudobin was good,for the short time that he was here) I would think that a forward and a defenceman will be picked or maybe 2 forwards,but probably not 2 defencemen though.

Does anyone know what spot the Blades have for the Import draft? :confused:

Trav
05-01-2006, 08:36 PM
should be picking 41st if my math is rite. The WHL picks 2nd to start the draft and the Blades who will be picking 14th in the bantam draft I would think would be the 14th WHL team to pick.

WHL PICKS

41st is better then last year I think.

I'm hoping we see two forwards as I think we could have two overaged defensemen back this year in (two of Schultz, Cole and Logan) I'd go with the first two although if Barnes is back along with Rabbit then well tough decision for Molleken which will be nice to have. Five good overagers if all five are back and if one isnt taken in the draft by Chilliwack. As for ages of the euros I'm guessing the first rounder will be an 88 born, the 2nd rounder could be an 89 born.

Note, just checked, last year the Blades picked 51st so this year they should be ten picks earlier. Also for those who didnt know Fredrik Pettersson who is with the Hitmen was picked 48th last year so it is possible the Blades can land a good forward since it is a crap shoot really.

wango tango
05-02-2006, 01:55 PM
i find the import draft more interesting than the bantam draft for the simple reason the import player you pick can have an immediate impact, the bantam pick is a couple of years away.

some players who may be there when we select Juuso Puustinen FIN, Michal Kazatel CZE, Joonas Kemppainen FIN. another player i'd like to see considered by the blades Constantin Braun GER.

SectionNDeserter
05-02-2006, 04:43 PM
i find the import draft more interesting than the bantam draft for the simple reason the import player you pick can have an immediate impact, the bantam pick is a couple of years away.For the most part too, it is a total gamble, as you never know what plunking one of these kids into North American hockey is going to do to them. The order of the import draft is less important because of this, and you see a lot of late round import players that make a huge impact.

wango tango
05-02-2006, 05:07 PM
For the most part too, it is a total gamble, as you never know what plunking one of these kids into North American hockey is going to do to them. The order of the import draft is less important because of this, and you see a lot of late round import players that make a huge impact.

you're right. i would also add the order of the import draft is less important because there are 'side' deals made between the player/agent/nhl team/whl team/the imports current team/and the imports hockey federation.

the bantam draft is a crap shoot because the players are still so young and teams and scouts are trying to project these players down the line. a lot of excellent players in the whl's history were never drafted.

tsn has a good feature on the top whl bantam draft prospects

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/feature/?fid=9654&hubname=

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-03-2007, 06:56 PM
The Blades this year have the 13th overall selection in the CHL Import Draft,and I do not really know what Molleken will do,but he may pick a defencemen again,or a forward. I do not know what to think about the draft this year. I hope he picks a star.

Tidball
04-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Pretty cool that Hamilton outscored Ferarro in BC midget this season.

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Pretty cool that Hamilton outscored Ferarro in BC midget this season.
This has nothing to do with the Import draft,so why is it here? Well I don't know,and maybe next time read the thread title more carefully before posting :laugh: What are everyone else's opinions on what the Blades will do this year?

Tidball
04-04-2007, 11:34 AM
This has nothing to do with the Import draft,so why is it here? Well I don't know,and maybe next time read the thread title more carefully before posting :laugh: What are everyone else's opinions on what the Blades will do this year?

I was posting that based on a respeonse(i shoulda quoted) from that bantam draft link that has ferarro as a top bantam pick, and Hamilton is deep in the 2nd round. Our 40 some odd pick is outplaying a top 5 pick which is pretty cool. So it has something to do with the topic, from that link you assmonkey, lol jk

hobster
04-05-2007, 01:56 PM
i personally think the blades wil draft only 1 euro foward who is 19 and keep konecny and remember everybody the blades have a chance to still pick up 3 overagers wich could really help us out

Trav
04-05-2007, 05:35 PM
the Blades 2nd round euro pick could be in the top 5 rather then the top 13 of the 2nd round, of course the teams ahead of them would have to pass on their 2nd round pick should they already have two euros.

Visnak is gone for sure, as for Konecny well I would bet if Molleken has a guy in mind that's still available in the 2nd round, wouldnt be surprised if he goes and picks a 2nd euro rookie.

hobster
04-05-2007, 08:13 PM
keep in mind konecny was one of our most valuable players before he got hurt 22 points in 33 games or something was pretty good and when he's healthie he's as good as anyone plus he's the one guy i noticed that isn't scared to shoot the puck

howley
04-05-2007, 08:28 PM
needs to learn how to hit though. I think he is a good player but I think it's possible there could be a secound rd euro that is a better fit for the North American style of hockey.

hobster
04-05-2007, 08:34 PM
lets be true to our selfs here 75% of the euro's that come over wont play a rough and tough canadian game im happy with konecny's play put him with gillies and mccrae and they can do the hitting i think if konecny comes back next year he's good for 28 goals or so

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-06-2007, 12:17 PM
I agree with both of you,but yes he does need to learn how to hit,and hey at least he does try to throw his body into the play,he just needs some more fine tuning to the North American game,and obviously the reason why Konecny is scared of his own shadow,is because he does not want to get injured and he does not go into the corners much and still gets injured,I think he will be back unless Molleken finds another guy that he likes. This year will be interesting because who really knows what will happen?

hobster
04-06-2007, 12:37 PM
It's gonna be a very busy offseason for lorne im also curious to see who we get for 20 year old free agents

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-11-2007, 08:26 PM
The Blades this year for the Import Draft will have the 13th pick in the draft. I am guessing that they will only pick one player(to replace Visnak) If they pick 2 players it might be a forward and a defencemen.

going by the european players listed in this thread: http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=11984

I think that we will/could see at least 1,maybe 2. Let the guessing games begin. :laugh:

N.W. Bruin
05-21-2007, 11:51 AM
should be picking 41st if my math is rite. The WHL picks 2nd to start the draft and the Blades who will be picking 14th in the bantam draft I would think would be the 14th WHL team to pick.

WHL PICKS

41st is better then last year I think.

I'm hoping we see two forwards as I think we could have two overaged defensemen back this year in (two of Schultz, Cole and Logan) I'd go with the first two although if Barnes is back along with Rabbit then well tough decision for Molleken which will be nice to have. Five good overagers if all five are back and if one isnt taken in the draft by Chilliwack. As for ages of the euros I'm guessing the first rounder will be an 88 born, the 2nd rounder could be an 89 born.

Note, just checked, last year the Blades picked 51st so this year they should be ten picks earlier. Also for those who didnt know Fredrik Pettersson who is with the Hitmen was picked 48th last year so it is possible the Blades can land a good forward since it is a crap shoot really.

Moller was picked at # 2 by Chilliwack last year
Kalus was picked at # 3 by Regina previous year
Bahensky was picked at # 1 by Saskatoon prior to that

So the WHL picks first this year

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Which player(s) If Molleken selects two players, who would you like to see him pick?

I would like to see the Blades bring in Lars Eller,I know it may be a longshot,if not him then Radim Ostrcil,Vladimir Ruzicka or even one of the players from Slovakia,or the Czech Republic,because you do not see too many players from Russia,Sweden,Finland,and Germany come to the CHL. Let the guessing games begin.

Trav
05-23-2007, 02:48 PM
and even two seventeen year olds wouldnt be a bad idea either. Would be nice if Molleken can get another 1st round pick from a team like Seattle who wont have to pick anyone since they have two euros already.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-23-2007, 05:11 PM
and even two seventeen year olds wouldnt be a bad idea either. Would be nice if Molleken can get another 1st round pick from a team like Seattle who wont have to pick anyone since they have two euros already.
Maybe but I thought that Konecny had a chance to comeback(I know both of them could) but they have both been plagued with injuries,Visnak is gone,I am not sure if picking two guys would be a good thing,but if Molleken can get another 1st round pick(like you said)then yes I would say go ahead and pick two players.

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-02-2007, 01:06 PM
I think that would be a smart descision,I have HEARD that Konencny has signed with a Slovak team(I am trying to find a source and when I do I will post the link.) If the Blades do indeed pick two they should try and get another 1st round pick. The draft is still weeks away.(June 28th)