PDA

View Full Version : 2009 World Juniors awarded to Ottawa

Kristi
05-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Jrs. coming to Ottawa

Media conference to announce city will host 2009 championship
By BARRE CAMPBELL -- Ottawa Sun

Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson is to announce today that Ottawa will host the 2009 World Junior Hockey Championships. (CP File Photo/Jeff McIntosh)
Hockey Canada has called a media conference for this afternoon at Scotiabank Place to announce that Ottawa will host the 2009 IIHF world junior hockey championships.

A source has confirmed to the Ottawa Sun this morning that Ottawa has won the bid. The media conference includes Bob Nicholson, president of Hockey Canada and David Branch, the commissioner of the Canadian Hockey League.

Ottawa has bid for the world juniors on three previous occasions, but has not been successful in landing the prestigious tournament until now. The 2009 tournament takes place from Dec. 26, 2008 through Jan. 5, 2009.

The Ottawa bid is headed by Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk and the Ottawa District Hockey Association. The Ottawa 67's, including owner Jeff Hunt, have also been involved in the effort. The Ottawa bid was competing against four others -- Montreal, Toronto, Saskatoon and a joint effort from Edmonton / Calgary.

The Montreal bid was viewed as a sentimental favourite, as the Montreal Canadiens attempted to land the world junior tournament as part of the centennial celebrations in 2009 of the storied franchise.

In Ottawa, the tournament would return to Ontario for the first time since Hamilton hosted it in 1986.

Canada has hosted the world juniors seven times: Vancouver (2006), Halifax (2003), Winnipeg (1999), Red Deer, Alta., (1996), Saskatoon (1991), Hamilton (1986) and Montreal (1978)..

Hunt told the Sun on Tuesday that he expected an announcement to be made within days.

"All I can say is that we put together the absolute best bid and best presentation we've ever done," said Hunt.

The Ottawa committee made its pitch to the selection committee in Calgary last month.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-03-2006, 11:28 AM
I would have thought that they would want a non NHL city(but one who does have a Junior team) to host it. If Saskatoon would have been awarded with the 2009 WJrs then it would be a big boost for the city and maybe (just maybe) more people would show up at the Blades games,or buy Season Tickets(that is what I am doing) or even flex packs(that is what I did this past season)

Maybe part of it was because they felt sorry that the city of Ottawa lost it's CFL Franchise(Ottawa Renegades)

Well whatever :burningma :confused: I sure hope that Saskatoon gets to host some type of major sporting event in the near future.(preferably something to do with hockey though) :D

Beaner
05-03-2006, 11:51 AM
After the success of the Vancouver Tourny, and the $$ brought in because of the big rinks, I doubt we will see the small markets ever get it again.

SeventhHeaven4U
05-03-2006, 06:30 PM
I'd love to see it back here in Alberta, preferably here in Lethbridge. If Red Deer has the capability of hosting it, then I don't see why we can't. We held the U17 World Hockey Challenge here last year and it was totally awesome! Super hockey to watch!!