PDA

View Full Version : Who will the Chiefs pick?

rinkrat
05-03-2006, 10:19 PM
I hope they make a trade....Good luck Chiefs! :thumb:

chiefgongshow
05-04-2006, 12:50 AM
I too hope the Chiefs make a trade. It should be interesting to see what unfolds.

ihlemic10
05-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Defenceman Jared Cowen Selected 1st Overall in the 2006 WHL Bantam Draft

Created: May 4, 2006

With the first overall selection in this morning’s WHL Bantam Draft the Spokane Chiefs selected defenseman Jared Cowen of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. The 6’5”, 190 pound defenseman played for the Saskatoon Contacts, the regular season champions of the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League, last year. In 41 regular season games, Cowen scored four goals, 16 points and added 66 penalty minutes. Cowen was the youngest player on the Contacts and the only 1991 born player on the roster.

“Jared is the complete package,” Chris Moulton, the Chiefs Director of Player Personnel said.

“We’re ecstatic to select a player of his caliber and we’re expecting he will a big part of the Spokane organization in the future.”

“For our scouting staff Jared separated himself from the rest of the players as the definite first overall pick in this draft,” Chiefs General Manager Tim Speltz said.

“We feel that his combination of size, skill and character make him the number one pick”, Speltz finished.

In assessing Cowen’s abilities, Moulton said, “He has great size, he is a good skater who can make plays and take control of the game. He has great offensive instincts and has the ability to jump up into the play. He makes crisp outlets passes and shoots the puck hard. We consider Jared to be a big time talent who has a ton of upside.”

The selection of Cowen marks the first time in franchise history that Spokane has had the first overall selection in the WHL Bantam Draft. Spokane will select second overall behind the expansion Chilliwack Bruins in the ensuing rounds.

spokaneosaurus
05-04-2006, 03:18 PM
An article in the S-R the other day mentioned that Cowen didn't want to play for a Western Conference team and would take the Jr.A / College route if selected by Spokane. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out but I really hope the Chiefs don't get burned on this one like the Ams did with Toews a couple years ago.