PDA

View Full Version : Great article on Jarret Stoll ect...

fightstrap50
05-04-2006, 06:58 PM
FOR OILERS’ STOLL, ONE CUP DOWN, ONE TO GO
Compliments of www.nhlpa.com
Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any time I want to remember what Jarret Stoll meant to this organization, all I do is look at the photo of him holding the Memorial Cup above his head. I'm so happy for Jarret. He's a classy young man on and off the ice." – Jeff Chynoweth, President & GM of the Kootenay Ice RELATED BIOGRAPHIES Jarret StollJeff Chynoweth doesn't have to look further than his office wall for the picture-perfect reminder of what Jarret Stoll meant to the Kootenay Ice.
It's been four years since Stoll, the Melville, Saskatachewan, native who just completed his second full National Hockey League season, finished his career in the Western Hockey League.

And what a career it was.

"Any time I want to remember what Jarret Stoll meant to this organization, all I do is look at the photo of him holding the Memorial Cup above his head," said Chynoweth, President and General Manager of Kootenay. "I'm so happy for Jarret. He's a classy young man on and off the ice."

The Memorial Cup victory in 2002 wasn’t Stoll's only shining moment with the Ice.

Stoll played four seasons with Kootenay from 1998-99 to 2001-02. In all, he scored 124 goals and recorded 286 points in 245 games.

He was the WHL’s fourth-leading scorer in 2000-01, reaching the century mark with 106 points in 62 games. Stoll was named to the Canadian Major Junior First All-star Team in 2001 and was twice named to the WHL First All-Star Team, in 2001 and 2002.

Stoll was selected to the WHL Western Conference All-Star Team in 2001-02 and captained Kootenay to their aforementioned Memorial Cup championship in 2001-02. Two of his five assists came in the 6-3 win versus the QMJHL's Victoriaville Tigres in the championship.

And although it was his role as a set-up man that helped Kootenay win the Cup, it's Stoll's great shot that always gets people talking.

"It's awesome," said Chynoweth, of the forward's hard and heavy shot. "He quarterbacked our power-play when he was here and he could really let it fly. There were more than a few times when the puck was in and out of the net in a split second. His one-timer is phenomenal. "

So, too, is Stoll's winning personality.

"He's a great guy, someone who we are so proud to have had play here," said Chynoweth, of Stoll, who also appeared in the 2000 Memorial Cup with Kootenay. "He comes from a good family and he's a character person."

Something Chynoweth discovered before Stoll's first game with the Ice.

"I'll tell you the type of kid he is," offered Chynoweth. "When he was playing with the Saskatoon Blazers – he was 15 – we were off to a really rough start to our season in Kootenay. We went winless in the first 21 games. We finally won our first game and we get a phone message from Jarret congratulating all the guys on the win. You just don't expect that from too many people, especially a 15-year-old kid."

The Edmonton Oilers, who selected Stoll in the second round, 36th overall in the 2002 Entry Draft, have come to expect great things from the centreman. In his first professional season in 2002-03, he spent a majority of the season with their AHL affiliate in Hamilton where he notched 54 points while seeing action in four games with the parent club.

After an impressive rookie campaign, Stoll became a full-timer with the Oilers in 2003-04. In 68 games, he registered 21 points, including 10 goals.

Stoll was named MVP of the Edmonton Road Runners in 2004-05, scoring 21 goals in 66 games for Edmonton’s AHL affiliate. He finished fourth in scoring on the Road Runners, while he led the team in plus/minus (+13) and shots on goal (224).

"It was a great idea for Jarret to play in the AHL," noted Chynoweth. "Some people don't realize just how good a league it is."

Stoll, who eclipsed the 20-goal mark in 2005-06, has become one of the Western Conference squad's most dependable forwards, counted on to come up big when the game is on the line.

But it's not only his offensive totals that make Stoll a valuable contributor.

"I remember someone coming into my office and telling me that Jarret had won 21 of 22 face-offs one night against Vancouver," recalled Chynoweth, who remains in contact with Stoll. "It didn't surprise me at all. He's always been excellent on the draw."

Which begs the question: Have we seen the best of Jarret Stoll?

"No," said Chynoweth. "He's learned to play at both of ends of the ice which you need to do if you want to play in the NHL. It took him a little while to adjust, but he's learned to battle at both ends and has become a complete player. He sees the ice so well."

And what does Chynoweth see when he looks to Stoll’s future?

"This is just the tip of the iceberg for Jarret. He'll only get better."

Chipper
05-06-2006, 09:15 AM
I think Jarret has a way of being an ambassador for the teams he has played with. He is always looking after and thinking of his teammates first. I can remember back the first year the Ice were in cranbrook and we were going in the playoffs for the first time. There was a city strike on at the same time and the employees were picketing outside of the old Memorial arena, as a result the crowds were smaller than they should have been as many fans wouldn't cross the picket lines. I wrote a letter to the editor asking for fans to cross the line and support the boys as they were no part of the strike just playing the game they love in that arena. Later in the playoff round Jarret came up to me and thanked me for the letter and said how much that it meant to him and the rest of the team. He was a rookie but still showed how mature he was and proud to be an Ice member. I will never forget that.

fightstrap50
05-06-2006, 03:40 PM
I think Jarret has a way of being an ambassador for the teams he has played with. He is always looking after and thinking of his teammates first. I can remember back the first year the Ice were in cranbrook and we were going in the playoffs for the first time. There was a city strike on at the same time and the employees were picketing outside of the old Memorial arena, as a result the crowds were smaller than they should have been as many fans wouldn't cross the picket lines. I wrote a letter to the editor asking for fans to cross the line and support the boys as they were no part of the strike just playing the game they love in that arena. Later in the playoff round Jarret came up to me and thanked me for the letter and said how much that it meant to him and the rest of the team. He was a rookie but still showed how mature he was and proud to be an Ice member. I will never forget that.
thats a great memory chipper, one you'll never forget about Jarret and his character. My cousin in Yorkton is great friends with him and have been since they were young and he sais the same about him. Never ignorant and always glad to help out.

I sent a whole bunch of game used pucks and stuff back to Yorkton with my cousin last Christmas and Jarret gladly signed them and shipped them back. I might part with one, for the right price though of course as they are game used and auto'd.