PDA

View Full Version : Will he show up

scamperdog
05-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Blueline bolstered with top pick
Cougars wanted a scoring centre, but grab North Shore defenceman before focusing on the forward lines

by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

Wanting a forward, the defenceman sitting there, unclaimed, was too good to pass up.
Stefan Elliott of North Vancouver ended up becoming Prince George Cougars' property on Thursday, snapped up with the 12th overall selection in the Western Hockey League bantam draft.

For Cougars general manager Dallas Thompson, who was on the record stating a preference for a front-line forward to team with Dale Hunt, Dana Tyrell and Prab Rai in a few years, there was no hesitation in selecting Elliott, a right-shooting blueliner from North Vancouver.

"I know we said we wanted a forward, but Stefan was one of the top defencemen on our list and we were surprised to see him still available," Thompson said after a long day in Calgary in which the Cats added 13 players from the 1991 draft class.

"The forwards we were looking at there were gone, and Stefan was too good to pass up.

"He's got good size, six-foot and 185 pounds already. He's physical, handles the puck well, and will jump into the play."

Elliott comes with a winner's pedigree. In the the 2003-04 season he helped his North Shore Winter Club peewee team win the prestigious Quebec City tournament, and that same group captured the peewee provincials — the tournament played in Prince George.

Then, in the 2004-05 season, Elliott played a key role on the Western Canadian champion bantam champion squad. He was at the Kin Centre in March for the bantam provincials.

Elliott said Thursday he is committed to playing in the WHL, but the Cougars were not his first choice — he would've liked to see his name pop up next to his hometown Vancouver Giants.

"I was pretty pleased to be picked in the first round," said Elliott, who wore the 'C' for his bantam team last season.

"I was pretty surprised it was the Cougars, and I didn't think they'd pick me. It would be nice to be closer to home, like the Giants, and then I could live at home."

Asked if he was going to come to Prince George, there was an 11-second pause before he answered.

"Uh... well, uh... I don't really know what it's like up there yet," said Elliott, who spoke with Thompson and head scout Russ Smart on Thursday.

"I need to go up there, get a feel for it, meet everyone, and see how it goes. I know the Cougars did better this year and they're getting better, that's about it."

North Shore is the same program that produced defenceman Ryan Kerr, who the Cougars selected first overall in 2004 and then traded two months into his rookie season. Elliott, who knows Kerr, admitted that history has him concerned.

"I'm sure it was a combination of the (team and player)," said Elliott, "and I think a story like that has to concern me a little bit, knowing that I know a guy who was traded after he was picked in the first round."

Thompson said Thursday he's not concerned that Elliott will decide to Prince George isn't for him. "He wants to play in the WHL, and when I talked to him in the morning he was excited," he said.

Elliott, the first B.C. defenceman taken in the draft, described himself as a leader, a strong skater and a puck-moving defenceman who sees the ice well.

Keeping it in the province, the Cougars took Abbotsford product Ryan Kowalski, who has Prince George roots, in the second round (see story below). Kowalski is eager to pull on a Cougars jersey.

To make that pick, the Cougars flipped picks with the Regina Pats, dropping two spots in the process, but gained a fifth-round selection for helping the Pats secure Regina product Garrett Mitchell. With that fifth-round choice, left-wing Erich Binner of Calgary became Cougars property.

In the third round, the Cats nabbed Kelowna defenceman Art Bidlevski, known by scouts for his tenacious play along the wall.

"Bidlevski is a very strong player who seems to be on that edge at all times," said Thompson.

"He played a lot for that Kelowna team that got to provincials in Prince George, and then in Western Canadians. He was one of their better players on the back end."

For a complete list of drafted players, see page 10.

Second-round choice eager to play in P.G.

son in his first WHL camp?

"I don't know what to do there," said Glen.

Restocking the shelf

Selections made by the Prince George Cougars in Thursday's Western Hockey League bantam draft, with name, position, 1991 birthdate, height and weight, and hometown. Bio information and comments where available. The Cougars did not have to drop any players from their 50-player protected list to complete the draft.

First round

12. Stefan Elliott, RD, Jan. 30, 6-0/165, North Vancouver.

— A winner's resume. Helped his North Shore Winter Club teams win the famed Quebec peewee tournament in 2004, and B.C. title the same year in a tournament played in Prince George and the 2005 provincial and Western Canadian bantam championships. Among his teammates on those teams were Dylan Crawford, a goaltender and son of ex-Canucks coach Marc Crawford; another was Taylor Stefishen, a Cougars pick last spring. Other recent teammates include with high draft picks Mike Reddington, Justin Maylan and Evander Kane.

Second round

35. Ryan Kowalski, RW, Sept. 6, 6-0/185, Abbotsford.

— Son of Spokane Chiefs scout and former Prince George resident Glen Kowalski, a 1977 graduate of Duchess Park. Skated with the same Abbotsford Hawks bantam team that produced first round picks Riley Boychuk, Kellen Tochkin and Nathan Lieuwen. Cougars traded spots in this round with Regina. The Pats wanted to move up to get Regina product Garrett Mitchell. For switching, the Cougars got a fifth-round bantam pick, which they used to select Erich Binner.

Third round

54. Art Bidlevski, RD, Nov. 4, 6-0/185, Kelowna.

— Played for Kelowna bantams at provincials at the Kin Centre in March. Described as a physical, edge-type player with offensive potential, the kind of character guy scouts go to bat for.

Fourth round

No selection.

Fifth round

103. Erich Binner, LW, Feb. 19, 5-10/160, Calgary

— "Binner and (sixth-round pick) Menage both have some offensive up-side to them," said general manager Dallas Thompson.

Sixth round

117. Lane Menage, C, July 6, 5-11/165, Innisfail, Alta.

Seventh round

No selection.

Eighth round

159. Riley Down, D, April 30, 6-1/170, Kindersley, Sask.

— Bigger defenceman with two-way potential. "I'd like to see him play some triple-A midget next year and develop his skills," said Thompson.

Ninth round

179. Connor Pennell, C, June 24, 6-0/160, Kamsack, Sask.

10th round

197. Matt Cumming, D, Nov. 7, 5-9/150, Kamloops

— "He's a smaller guy, but he's a competitor who doesn't shy away from anything despite his size," said Thompson.

11th round

212. David Vienneau, C, June 6, Kitimat.

— One of only three northern B.C. players chosen, along with Prince George's Ryan Howse (Chilliwack) and Fraser Lake goaltender Damien Ketlo (Regina).

12th round

218. Kyle Beattie, RW, May 29, 5-10/145, Avondale, Arizona

13th round

224. Matthew Hutchinson, D, July 1, 6-0/175, North Vancouver

14th round

228. Kenny Tanaka, RW, April 20, 5-7/130, West Vancouver

— One scout said the small, fast Tanaka "has skill coming out the wazoo, and if he grows, he could be a great player in the league."