PDA

View Full Version : WHL schedule question

caps05
05-07-2006, 01:26 AM
I know it's real early, and we're not even in the offseason yet, but I have a question.

When does the WHL normally release their schedule? Is it around July? I'm planning on being in the Portland area over Thanksgiving weekend, and if the Hawks are in town, I might see a game.

Thanks in advance.

Beaner
05-07-2006, 01:53 AM
I cant remember exactly when it comes out, but it is very late. End of August I think.

rinkrat
05-07-2006, 02:00 AM
Look at their last season schedule.Frequently they are very similar.Although we are adding a team this year.

dondo
05-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Look at their last season schedule.Frequently they are very similar.Although we are adding a team this year.

and losing one... so would the Bruins just slot into the Kootenay Ice schedule vacancy?

RunTheGoalie
05-07-2006, 03:45 PM
and losing one... so would the Bruins just slot into the Kootenay Ice schedule vacancy?

The Ice played the Central and U.S. division teams more than they played B.C. division teams to begin with, so I doubt changing divisions, and even conferences, will affect their schedule much. It'll remain heavy with trips to Kenniwick, Spokane, Calgary, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat as always.

If anything, I would expect that Portland will see more Bruins games at the expense of the other B.C. division teams.

dondo
05-07-2006, 07:03 PM
^ I did not know this... I thought they played their division rivals more than other divisions - so it's more a matter of proximity, rather than which division they belong to?

thx for the edumacation RTG

Scout
05-07-2006, 07:34 PM
The C.H.L. usually releases its schedule the last week in July or early August. Because some teams share their arena's with other sports teams we have to schedule around them. This year it will probably be early to mid August.

Scout

jshmacky
05-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I know the T-birds but theres out around the begining of august betwen the 1st and the 8th

RunTheGoalie
05-08-2006, 07:44 AM
^ I did not know this... I thought they played their division rivals more than other divisions - so it's more a matter of proximity, rather than which division they belong to?

thx for the edumacation RTG

No problem. By my count, the Ice faced the Central 25 times, the BC and US division 18 times and the east ten. I'm missing a game somewhere there, however. The three teams the Ice faced the most last year were all out of their division - Spokane eight times, Calgary and Red Deer seven times.

Proximity has always been a greater concern to schedule makers than divisional alignment. It sucked the last few years as a Calgary fan to see Red Deer ten times and Kootenay seven when both were just great teams.

dondo
05-08-2006, 01:02 PM
so it really does make sense to move the Ice to the Central since they are virtually in there already. Also - wouldn't it be difficult to compare how a team rates versus their own division in that case, as the other teams in their division are most likely to play within their own division more? It kinda skews divisional standings doesn't it?

example: say the central is a monster division and the BC weak (now this is purely hypothetical you understand :thumb: ), and team like the Ice end up just out of the playoffs, but probably would have made it had they played more games versus divisional rivals, and less versus Central - its all supposition of course, but interesting to think about.

Swando
05-09-2006, 02:26 AM
(so it really does make sense to move the Ice to the Central since they are virtually in there already. Also - wouldn't it be difficult to compare how a team rates versus their own division in that case, as the other teams in their division are most likely to play within their own division more? It kinda skews divisional standings doesn't it?

example: say the central is a monster division and the BC weak (now this is purely hypothetical you understand ), and team like the Ice end up just out of the playoffs, but probably would have made it had they played more games versus divisional rivals, and less versus Central - its all supposition of course, but interesting to think about)

I had this same discussion in detail 2 months before you joined the site Dondo and it confused me as well. Bottom line is this--the WHL looks at costs as #1 before fairness in rivalries/divisional play etc. The board of governors (owners) must be the ones that say travel costs are the msot important expense to us. Therefore when Kootney was leading the Pacific Division for the majority of the year-- I looked and saw they played Red Deer 8 times, and Spokane 10 times/-- This year that could have been a 10-20 point advantage to them in the standings. As it turned out - they bowed out early. Next year it could work against Kootney???

Look at PG - they have to play all home games as double headers --fair? - advantage PG ?

As a Giant STH it will be nice to have Chilliwack (1.5 hours) as our nearest team. Everett 2.5 - Seattle 3 Kamloops 3.5 Kelowna 4 Portland 6 PG 8
Tri City 6 Kootney 8 Spokane 7