PDA

View Full Version : Bruins sign Kalus

westbeach55
05-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Canadian Press

5/8/2006 10:28:03 AM

BOSTON (CP) - The Boston Bruins signed prospect Petr Kalus to a three-year contract Monday.

Kalus, 18, a native of the Czech Republic, was Boston's second pick, 39th overall, in the 2005 NHL entry draft.

The forward led the Western Hockey League's Regina Pats in scoring this past season with 36 goals and 58 points.

Number_4
05-08-2006, 06:15 PM
This doesnt really come as a surprise... From what I've heard so far, he will either be playing in the AHL or NHL next year. Right now Boston isnt even considering letting him play in the dub.

Congrats, Petr, we'll miss ya in Regina.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
05-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Kalus agrees to three-year entry-level contract
5/8/2006

By Jeremy Lemoine

Boston, MA - On Monday, May 8, the Boston Bruins announced that left wing Petr Kalus agreed to terms on a three-year entry-level contract.

Kalus, a native of Ostrava, Czech Republic, was Boston’s second pick, 39th overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. After being drafted by the Bruins, the WHL’s Regina Pats drafted the 18-year-old third overall in the 2005 Canadian Hockey League import draft.

In his first season in the WHL, he led all rookies in scoring with 36 goals in just 60 games. He also led Regina in goals and in points with 36-22=58 totals. Kalus played in six playoff games and registered four goals and one assist for five points.

“Petr had an excellent year in Regina last season,” said Interim General Manager Jeff Gorton. “He led his team in goals and points as a rookie. He’s shown a real scoring touch, he has some toughness as well and he’s a very competitive kid. He had a strong showing in training camp last year for us and we look forward to seeing his improvement at training camp this season.”

Prior to coming to North America to play in the WHL, Kalus played three seasons of junior hockey with Vitkovice in the Czech Junior League. In 91 games, he recorded 28-19=47 totals and 228 penalty minutes.

The 6’1”, 192 lb. prospect will attend Boston’s training camp in the fall with an opportunity to make the NHL team. In accordance with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, Kalus will be returned to his junior team in the WHL if the Bruins decide not keep him on the Boston roster.

Theres still a minor chance that kalus can join the pats, kind of like Cam barker did for the tigers, and brule did for the giants.

I personally think Petr still has alot to learn before he goes pro. He obviously has the skill to have success in the AHL, maybe the NHL, but needs to learn more about the team game. Remember this was his first year playing North American hockey, and though his season was still impressive, I think that if he came back to the dub, he would have an alot better season, most possibly a breakout season that could lead us to a divison pennant(who knows?). In the end, I think it would benefit him more than if he didnt.

It would be great to see him play on the pats, but I will be happy regardless the decision he makes. Best of luck at the Bruins training camp