PDA

View Full Version : California Camp

grainbear
05-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Great idea to hold the camp in California but just wondering why it was not held prior to the draft ?

Stay-Puft
05-15-2006, 02:00 PM
From amshockey.com

WHL to Hold Special U.S. Player Draft this Tuesday
May 15, 2006
KENNEWICK, WA – The Western Hockey League will hold a special U.S. Player Draft via conference call Tuesday, May 16th beginning at 12 pm PDT. All WHL clubs are permitted to participate in the Special Draft. Each WHL club will be allotted one extra spot which may only be used to select a player who attended the U.S. Prospects Camp held last weekend in Anaheim, California.

Should a WHL club make a second or subsequent pick selection, teams must drop a player from the 50-player protected list. The special draft will continue until all WHL clubs have passed.

Players eligible for the Special Draft are 1989, 1990 and 1991 born players from the WHL protected Western States. To be eligible for the draft, all players must have attended the camp last weekend in Anaheim.

The order of selection for the Special Draft will be in the inverse order of 2005-06 WHL overall standings with the expansion Chilliwack Bruins receiving the first pick overall in each round. The Americans will select seventh in each round.

Beaner
05-15-2006, 03:09 PM
How very interesting.

I guess that means that the WHL is not going to agree to the limited Americans per team proposal that the CHL was trying to put in.

CrazyGeorge
05-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Anyone have a complete order of selection?

Toswammi
05-15-2006, 06:26 PM
This draft has to be the best kept secret in hockey. I found out Friday about it. Apparently the Broncos select fifth, so my guess is that it starts with Chilliwak then progresses from worst to first, like any other draft.

WHEATMAN
05-15-2006, 07:32 PM
I am definetly not a fan of this. Wouldn't it have made more sense to have this "california camp" previous to the draft, then have all the cali kids eligible, why have two drafts?

SectionNDeserter
05-15-2006, 08:17 PM
I am definetly not a fan of this. Wouldn't it have made more sense to have this "california camp" previous to the draft, then have all the cali kids eligible, why have two drafts?I can't say I have an opinion one way or another. It isn't like teams aren't scouting there, and if any of the teams actually wanted these players, why wouldn't they have drafted them in a late round in the Bantam draft instead of passing on their picks like most did? Will be interesting how many of them actually get picked up (and who gets dropped from protected lists and relisted).

SeventhHeaven4U
05-15-2006, 09:18 PM
It sounds like a marketing scheme exclusively for California 1989-1992 born players which "seems" (just speculation of course) to be geared towards the American & Western Division WHL teams ( I say this b/c the central & east division teams "appear" to not really be interested.

I agree that it probably should have been held before the bantam draft, but most of these elite prospect camps are usually held during the summer after all the drafts have been completed.

Who knows, maybe this is a taste of what is to come .... maybe the WHL or perhaps the CHL has an idea in its head which will lead to the development of an American Draft, like the Euro Draft..... Hmmmmm????

original6
05-16-2006, 12:11 AM
I was at the california camp as a spectator. My son already plays in the 'dub' and I attended to say hello to his GM and to say hi to some of the kids and parents that I have gotten to know over the years. There were approximately 60 kids there and there seemed to scouts from all teams there,
not just the US or BC based clubs. There were also four head coaches there.
The talent level was very good at the 92 and 91 age group, I know that some of the 91's will be listed and the best of the 92's were identified for next years draft. The general feeling was that the 90 and 89 age group was not as strong, this makes sense because most of the best of this group has already left to play in WHL, USHL, NAHL etc...However some in this group will also be listed in tommorrows draft.
Every team will be allowed to increase there PPL to 51 as long as they draft a kid from the camp. The list will revert back to 50 sometime after training camp. So its a no-brainer to pick up a kid, doesn't cost the club anything.
I should also mention the camp was invitation only and it looks like they got the invitations to the right kids. There were kids from Arizona there as well. J. Lupul, R Getzlaf, J. Friesen, and T. Moen all came in and signed autographs and acted as good ambassadors for the league. My sons team had to travel to canada four times in his bantam year to get him and three of his teammates drafted and others listed and camp invites, not all teams and players can afford that. The general consensus is that with Chilliwack this year and Edmonton next year the concern is that the talent level will be watered down so the league is trying to expand the talent pool.Hope it works.

SeventhHeaven4U
05-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks for that info Original6. I was basing my reply on the WHL announcement and if you read that, you get the impression that it was strictly CA players. Do you have a complete list of who attended the camp or a top 10-20?? Thanx :)

Triton
05-16-2006, 11:39 AM
What time is this draft conducted today??

WHEATMAN
05-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Not sure what time the draft happened, but it said in the Brandon Sun that the Wheat Kings and the Tigers sern't participating, so I guess we didnt pick anyone

grainbear
05-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Anyone see any results yet ?

Big Daddy
05-16-2006, 10:14 PM
89's:
Jeff Bain F
Dennis Brown D
Michael Dockstader F
Adam Hout D
Travis Johnson D
Michael Juola F
Clayton Lewis D
Rich Pankowski F
Josh Piniero D
Matthew Rushton D
Ivan Simunovic D
Ryan Watt G
Jonathan Wheeler F
Brandon Yost F

90's:
Brett Beebe F
Wade Bennett F
Justin Castagna F
Mischa Chang F
John Cocco F
Brad Frank G
Ryan Frost F
Matt Leitner F
Brady Lipschultz D
Nick Maricic G
Todd Mathews G
Max Miner D
Ryan Papazian G
Troy Power F
Wayne Ravdjee D
Derick Rosas F
Brad Walkon F
Adam Zacuto F

91's:
Joe Adams D
Arron Ave D
Kyle Beattie F
Beau Bennett F
Adam Brown G
Jacob Cole D
Eric Coscione D
Richard Coyne D
Dakota Eveland F
Billy Faust G
Eric Ferber G
Kyle Garcia F
Mitch Hughes F
Mathew Konan D
Timothy Lagmay F
Tyler Maxwell F
Jason Nash D
Sean O'Rourke D
JT Osborn F
Jong Soo Park F
Jonathan Parker F
Joshua Shin D
Garrett Taylor F
Kyle Verdino D

92's:
Brandon Carlson D
Max Edson F
Emerson Etem F
Chase Golighty D
Doo Soo Kim F
Kyle Laslo G
Taylor Love D
Matthew Nieto F
Drew Phillips D
Eric Shand F
Shane Sooth F
Brandon Underwood D
Andrew Walkon F
Douglas Wedel D

California Kids from: California Wave, LA Selects, LA Hockey Club, LA Jr. Kings, and Huntington Beach Sun Devils.

Eight players from Arizona.

PM me and I can get you more info.

Stay-Puft
05-17-2006, 08:58 AM
May 16, 2006
KENNEWICK, WA – The Western Hockey League held a special U.S. Player Draft via conference call Tuesday, May 16th. All WHL clubs were permitted to participate in the Special Draft. Each WHL club was allotted one extra spot which may only be used to select a player who attended the U.S. Prospects Camp held last weekend in Anaheim, California.

Should a WHL club make a second or subsequent pick selection, teams must drop a player from the 50-player protected list. The special draft will continue until all WHL clubs have passed.

Players eligible for the Special Draft are 1989, 1990 and 1991 born players from the WHL protected Western States. To be eligible for the draft, all players must have attended the camp last weekend in Anaheim.

ROUND 1
Chilliwack, Jonathan Parker, F, Solana Beach, CA, 09/25/91
Spokane, Richard Coyne, D, Cave Creek, AZ, 07/22/91
Red Deer, Garrett Taylor, F, San Diego, CA, 05/13/91
Prince Albert, Troy Power, F, Camarillo, CA, 03/29/90
Swift Current, Eric Ferber, G, Scottsdale, AZ, 01/07/91
Lethbridge, Adam Brown, G, Yorba Linda, CA, 10/12/91
Tri-City, Jason Nash, D, Oxnard, CA, 03/29/91
Brandon, PASS
Portland, Jacob Cole, D, Tuscon, AZ, 09/11/91
Kamloops, Dennis Brown, D, Cypress, CA, 07/28/89
Seattle, Matthew Leittner, F, Los Alamitos, CA, 11/27/90