PDA

View Full Version : Giants bringing in Ref help

Beaner
05-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Don Hay was just on the radio, saying they are bringing in an NHL ref on Monday to help the guys go over the "NHL Rules" that the OHL and Q use.

Good move by Don and the Giants.

I believe the official they are bringing in is Kelly Sutherland.

Hopefully the guys get it figured out quickly.

Triton
05-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Why are there different rules for the other 2 leagues in the CHL?Shouldn't we all go by the same rules and standards?

Beaner
05-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Why are there different rules for the other 2 leagues in the CHL?Shouldn't we all go by the same rules and standards?

For whatever reason, the WHL decided not to adopt the stricter standard of Clutching and grabbing that the NHL adopted this year.

The OHL and the QMJHL did adopt the new standard.

The "reason" given, or at least what I have heard is, the WHL didnt think they could get their officials up to speed in time for the season.

---

I have been watching the QMJHL games online, and quite frankly, the Officiating doesn't look any different than what we get in the WHL. And it looks about as consistent as well. :spineyes:

The ref in game 4 for all intent and purposes put the whistle in his pocket for the 3rd period.

If you want to watch for free, the game is on now,

http://events.startcast.com/events/launch.asp?EventID=DF8E43EE-F6F0-45F5-9270-5E95CBD3C5E1

Swando
05-13-2006, 12:40 AM
I notice that a definite tug/hook where the offensive player is impeded is not called in the WHL and that seems to be where the leagues differ. WHL still allows the hook ---in the case of the PG series the Cougars would have had to play with an empty bench for much of the games lol. I think this will be the Giants downfall. You can NOT teach a player instinctively NOt to reach out at a player with his stick in ONE WEEK. But good on Hay and management for doing this. I like the WHL rules. Except Savage - he'll have field day next year.

dondo
05-13-2006, 01:51 PM
I don't see our boys pulling that maneuver all that often, so I think it would be less of an impact as is being predicted. I think they might have a problem if the reffing is extremely hard-core and goes the route of the NHL where a hard hit is frowned upon, even if its clean.

I hope the guys can continue to play good positional hockey and don't get caught chasing and they'll be fine. The question is will the divers thrive like they have in the NHL all season long?

rinkrat
05-13-2006, 03:40 PM
The problem that the Giants will likely encounter is when a Giants defenseman steps in front of an incoming forechecker(without the puck) in order to allow his D partner a couple seconds to pick up the puck behind their own net.This will be called obstruction and is a very common play in this league.Personally I don't mind it as it will save some poor D-mans life one day!

Beaner
05-13-2006, 03:45 PM
I dont know; I have been watching the Q and they seem to be letting everything go. Picks, obstruction, doesn't look like the NHL game at all.

Looks like the WHL rules to me. Not nearly the physical play that the WHL has though.

rinkrat
05-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Won't there be some dub refs there?

Beaner
05-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Yes, refs from all the leagues, and they are only using the 1 Ref system.

My Guess would be the "official of the Year" Rehman will be there + maybe Matsouka.

dondo
05-13-2006, 06:20 PM
The problem that the Giants will likely encounter is when a Giants defenseman steps in front of an incoming forechecker(without the puck) in order to allow his D partner a couple seconds to pick up the puck behind their own net.This will be called obstruction and is a very common play in this league.Personally I don't mind it as it will save some poor D-mans life one day!

it's not interference when you already have position, only if you make a move to slide in front of the player, or don't have position and check them from just behind. The Giants D are usually in position so they can play like that as long as they don't clutch or throw out the stick if the player tries to cut past them.