PDA

View Full Version : Beer and other stuff

scamperdog
05-14-2006, 08:22 PM
A rose by any other name is a beer

www.kamloopsthisweek.com

By RICK WILE
May 14 2006

The Blazers decision against the consumption of beer in the stands at the ISC doesn't surprise you, does it?
Their hands are somewhat tied in the matter, purely by the mathematics of the situation. Even if they did $2,000 a game with their percentage of sales from the pouring rights holder, it would only come to about $80,000 for the season.
That's roughly the same amount of money that would be lost if there were 200 season-ticket cancellations over the beer in the stands issue.
Of course, there's also a risk of even more cancellations, and, if that happens it works out to about $40,000 to $45,000 dollars in lost revenue for every 100 season ticket cancellations. So any beer profits would be eaten up faster than a college chug-a-lug.
I stand on my column of a year ago when I suggested a special area in the stands be set aside to appease the drinkers and not interfere with families attending games. I know you can't please everyone, but it would be good business to try.
It is worth noting the team has lost an average of more than 500 fans per game over the past three seasons. The 2003-04 campaign brought a decline of 204 fans per game, to an average of 5,169. It dropped by another 197 fans per game for the 2004-05 season to 4,972 and this past season, it fell by 110 fans per game to 4,862.
We're talking about paid attendance here and, we're not even taking into account all of those empty seats disguised as fans for the past few years.
It always amazes me how season tickets are bought and paid for and ticket holders show up sporadically. If the day ever comes to pass that they decide to stop buying because they're not going to games, the red flags will be flying on Lorne Street.
Those alarms could be more deafening than any of those banned noisemakers in the building, as well as the PA system that has had some people up in arms.
Nevertheless, 500 fewer fans per game in the past three years equates to about $250,000 less in revenue. When you add in the severance packages for fired employees, the ink gets a lot redder. They're paying out Mark Ferner and, most recently, Ryan Thorpe (when a settlement is reached).
The biggest ticket was the gassing of then-GM Mike Moore in January of 2004. Do the math and an estimated $200,000 is being spent in severance packages, plus the club has to hire a right-hand man (rumored to be former Calgary assistant Jeff Maher) for coach, and GM Dean Clark, who also has salary renegotiation pending with the Blazers.
Without even counting the cost of a new hiring, but considering the fan loss and, contract settlements, the bill during this worst three year period in franchise history is almost a half million dollars. This after 1.1 million went missing over the previous 10 years.
There is no way to sugar coat things, but it's becoming more urgent for the hockey club turns things around.
The biggest issue is the product on the ice, not the beer on ice. Ultimately, the hockey product will help the Blazers keep the fans they have, and possibly bring back the ones they've lost.
Sit back and have a beer as the clock continues ticking.

rinkrat
05-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Interesting article.Thanks for posting that.I wouldn't care if they didn't sell beer at the PNE coliseum,I don't drink at the games cause I'm usually with my kids,and I have plenty at home in the fridge! I've seen my share of drunken idiots who aren't even fans of the game.
I do see the side of the responsible drinker,but to each their own.
I wonder what the ratio of beer sold to security staff is?

dondo
05-15-2006, 09:51 PM
I think they should go to a system where they have family/no alcohol sections and alcohol allowed areas in the stands like most of the arenas I know about ... going all or nothing seems counter productive and catering to 200 threats to pull their season's tickets sends a bad message - imo.

langdak
05-16-2006, 11:55 AM
I think they should go to a system where they have family/no alcohol sections and alcohol allowed areas in the stands like most of the arenas I know about ... going all or nothing seems counter productive and catering to 200 threats to pull their season's tickets sends a bad message - imo.

If a beer at a hockey game is the decision maker between keeping your season tickets and giving them up, let them give them up.

I personally dont need beer at a hockey game to enjoy myself.

Chances are the ones who threaten to give up their tickets are the ones who get gooned at games anyways, any real hardcore season ticket holder wouldnt let a beer get in the way of enjoying hockey.