PDA

View Full Version : Americans Sign First Round Bantam Pick Gardiner

Stay-Puft
05-19-2006, 09:23 AM
May 18, 2006
KENNEWICK, WA - The Tri-City Americans today are proud to announce the signing of 15-year-old center Jason Gardiner to a WHL Education Contract. Gardiner was the Americans first round selection (eighth overall) in the 17th annual WHL Bantam Draft on May 4th.

The 6'1", 180 pound Gardiner is a native of Winnipeg, Manitoba where he played for the Winnipeg (Bantam AAA) Sharks last season. In 30 games, Gardiner had 27 goals, 52 points and 66 penalty minutes. He and fellow teammate Adam Hughesman were the Americans first two picks in the draft.

"The team is headed in the right direction and Jason has a chance to be a big part of this," said his father, Dave Gardiner. "This is a franchise that is building for the future."

"It was a thrill to be drafted," said Jason Gardiner. "I felt relieved and I knew I went to a good team. Even before the draft, I wanted to go to the Americans. I had met with the scouts and I felt that I belonged there."

"We are very pleased to sign our first round pick," said Americans governor/general manager Bob Tory. "Jason will be a key part of our team for years to come. He is the complete package and has good skating ability with a good shot," he continued. "Gardiner is an exceptional player that has great vision and playmaking skills who compliments our forwards."