PDA

View Full Version : MC Tie-breaker Formula

Beaner
05-23-2006, 10:03 AM
So the paper today posted the Tiebreaker formula;

It is Goals For/(Goals For+Goals Against)

So after Yesterdays games, the goal differential standing is as follows;

Moncton 7GF 4GA Diff=0.636
Quebec 8GF 6GA Diff=0.571
Petes 5GF 6GA Diff=0.454
Giants 5GF 9GA Diff=0.357

Giants still need to beat the Petes tonight to get to the tie-breaker, but there is still a shot that they could get the bye to the Semis if Quebec losses.

dondo
05-23-2006, 02:51 PM
its too bad that its goal differential when there are empty net goals - EN goals shouldn't count imo (for goal differential at least)

C.F
05-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Isn't that just if there's a three-way tie for 2nd? If the Giants beat the Petes, and the Remparts beat the Wildcats, the Petes and Giants will play a tie-breaker game with the goal differential having no affect, right?

dondo
05-23-2006, 06:42 PM
the only affect would be who is the "home" team - last change, etc

Beaner
05-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Isn't that just if there's a three-way tie for 2nd? If the Giants beat the Petes, and the Remparts beat the Wildcats, the Petes and Giants will play a tie-breaker game with the goal differential having no affect, right?

Yes it is just for a 3-way tie for third. If the Remparts win tomorrow then Quebec and Moncton will finish 1/2 in the tournament, and the Pets/Giants will have to play the tiebreaker.

Moncton 7GF 4GA Diff=0.636
Quebec 8GF 6GA Diff=0.571
Petes 7GF 9GA Diff=0.4375
Giants 8GF 11GA Diff=0.421

So looking at the new #'s, doesnt matter to the Giants who wins the Quebec/Moncton Game, we are playing in the tie-breaker irregardless.

Quebec has to lose 5-0 for the Petes to get the bye into the Semi finals, so more then likely it will be a rematch of the Petes and Giants on Thursday.

Beaner
05-23-2006, 09:16 PM
It is now being reported that in case of a 3 way tie the game against the first place team is now thrown out of the calculation, so it doesnt matter now who wins or losses tomorrow, the tie-breaker game is officially Petes/Giants.

I officially give up on trying to figure out what the heck the tie-breaker formula is since the league won't let anyone now how it works. :laugh:

langdak
05-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Here is the tie breaker formula according to a sportsnet article

Even if the Remparts lose and fall to a 1-2 record with the Giants and Petes, they'd remain the second-seeded team under a tiebreaking formula in which the three teams' results against Moncton would be thrown out and the teams' goals for against each other would be divided by the sum of their goals for and goals against.

So in the event of a three-way tie at 1-2, the Remparts' percentage would be .571, followed by Peterborough at .500 and Vancouver at .429

dondo
05-24-2006, 02:35 PM
how odd - thanks langdak - now I wonder why the top team's record doesn't count - because they already have the bye?

So we have to beat the Pete's again - okay then let's do it!! :D :bounce:

Carebear
05-24-2006, 02:43 PM
how odd - thanks langdak - now I wonder why the top team's record doesn't count - because they already have the bye?

So we have to beat the Pete's again - okay then let's do it!! :D :bounce:

We'll do it again no-problemo.
And Downie's out right?

dondo
05-24-2006, 02:55 PM
nope CB he's in - not suspended - but we need him to draw all those penalties against for the Petes :thumb:

langdak
05-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Downie is a ticking time bomb just waiting to explode.

It was a pleasure watching him play for team canada at the World Juniors because Sutter had him under control.

It doesnt appear that Dick Todd has the same control over him and is just letting him run rampid for the most part.

I fully expect downie to become completely unravelled tomorrow and take some dumb penalties, so in turn we can punish them on the powerplay.

It became rather apparant last night that Downie is more of a talker then a do'er. Both Watt and Lucic offered to go with him, only to have him skate away twice and then go after slade at the end buzzer.

Agitaters are good in some regards, but when the wheels come off the track (aka Downie) watch out.

Carebear
05-24-2006, 03:37 PM
nope CB he's in - not suspended - but we need him to draw all those penalties against for the Petes :thumb:

Wow, only my dad ever calls me CB, creepy.

Anyways, lets just send Hunt over to chit chat with Downie again before the game! Get him riled up and into the box.

OHLArenaGuide
05-24-2006, 05:54 PM
It was a pleasure watching him play for team canada at the World Juniors because Sutter had him under control.

It doesnt appear that Dick Todd has the same control over him and is just letting him run rampid for the most part.

Todd has as much control as Sutter did, you just didn't see Downie blow up in the WJHC because it was a short tournament. Downie was insane in Windsor, no control whatsoever. Todd has done a lot to calm him down but he's still a nutcase.

dondo
05-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Wow, only my dad ever calls me CB, creepy.

Anyways, lets just send Hunt over to chit chat with Downie again before the game! Get him riled up and into the box.

care bear = CB in my world - just so you know I'm not stalking :D

OHLarena guide - Downie was a bit of a loose cannon for the WJC too - he was the reason we all booed Jack Johnson and thoroughly delighted in the USA's loss to the Russians - as Downie goaded Johnson into cheapshotting him and after having watched him in this series he might have got the elbow he deserved - as players with mouths and no back-up deserve to get leveled in my mind. It looks like Downie plays on the edge and from what I've seen he frequently falls off of it. It seems it takes a strong coach to get the best out if him though.