PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Oil Kings

IR GARD
05-29-2006, 11:30 PM
I wanted to be first to post on the Oil Kings spot. It will be interesting to see how the team is built in comparison to other recent expansion teams. Everett and Vancouver have made it so there are high expectations soon after the inaugural year.

Chipper
05-30-2006, 07:48 AM
I wanted to be first to post on the Oil Kings spot. It will be interesting to see how the team is built in comparison to other recent expansion teams. Everett and Vancouver have made it so there are high expectations soon after the inaugural year.
I hope they will be a bit more consistent than franchises in the past. No one wants to see them move again in a few years. I think with the Oilers owning them they will be a solid franchise.

Triton
05-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Is it for sure that the team is named the Oil Kings?

Beaner
05-30-2006, 01:11 PM
No the name is not official yet. But I think we the fans should push for Oil Kings. :D

Triton
05-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Would they go with the same logo or re-invent something to this day in age?Anyone have a picture of what the old Oil Kings jerseys looked like?

dondo
05-30-2006, 04:20 PM
not sure about their jerseys, but there are a couple of examples of their logos here

http://www.logoserver.com/WesternCHL.html

rinkrat
05-30-2006, 05:06 PM
They could have LA Kings type jerseys,nice!

The_Vulk
05-30-2006, 05:19 PM
I hope they go with something original.

The Edmonton Ice was definately original in color, style, logo, etc.

Hopefully, they can get Todd McFarlene to design it, like he did an Oiler's jersey. But this time, the league accepts it.

Ricobob
05-30-2006, 10:33 PM
I hope they go with something original.

The Edmonton Ice was definately original in color, style, logo, etc.

Hopefully, they can get Todd McFarlene to design it, like he did an Oiler's jersey. But this time, the league accepts it.

I don't think the Ice was original. The colors were taken from Washington Capitals, but the logo was cool.

As far as colors, I hope the new Edmonton franchise will have something similar to the Oilers...maybe copper for a home jersey. After watching the Mem Cup this past week, I must say the Remparts jersey are very nice. Away colors are retro and so are the home...not white but beige...looks wicked.

I believe this new WHL team will be a success. The Oilers will run it properly and will use the Flames/Hitmen template which is proven success. The reason why the Ice didn't succeed is that they played in a crappy building. The Agricom is a terrible place to watch hockey. Brutal sight lines, tiny concourse and overall, too small. At the time, Peter Puck still owned the coliseum and was too much of a bastard to let the Ice use the building.

nivek_wahs
05-31-2006, 01:54 AM
I think if they went with the "Oil Kings" as the teams nickname... would have made "Wild" Bill Hunter extremely proud.

N.W. Bruin
05-31-2006, 01:42 PM
not sure about their jerseys, but there are a couple of examples of their logos here

http://www.logoserver.com/WesternCHL.html

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1973-74-WCHL-Edmonton-Oil-Kings-Program-vs-Brandon_W0QQitemZ8764228565QQcategoryZ2870QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

N.W. Bruin
05-31-2006, 01:51 PM
They have some from the 60s (they is almost one that almost looks like a Detroit jersey which they were sponsored by).

dondo
05-31-2006, 01:58 PM
nice find NWB -

here's an associated link for the guys ebay site - some cool programs there

http://stores.ebay.com/Noodle-Stew

btw thanks for the orginal link to the logos

old_time_hockey
05-31-2006, 04:11 PM
I hope the Battle of Alberta spills over to the WHL too. I don't see why it shouldn't.

a Hitmen vs. Edmonton ticket could be hard to come by.

Could you imagine if on a friday night there was a Hitmen vs. Edmonton game then Saturday a Flames vs. Oilers game in the same town. It would be awsome.

grainbear
06-01-2006, 05:54 AM
You are forgetting something, Med hat, Lethbridge and Red Deer will also have an input into this battle.

The_Vulk
06-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Having a natural rival added to those already in Alberta (BC - the ICE), will make any visit a great series of games. (Even if first year teams have not done so well in the beginning.)

HAF
06-01-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm already planning for the Am's next central swing in 07-08. I've never been to Edmonton, I cant wait.

peatfan
06-02-2006, 04:02 AM
It has history, everyone knows what city you are talking about and like a previous post said it will make Wild Bill Hunter proud. I also would like them to keep their old logo on a Black and Gold uniform. Maybe McFarlane could throw a twist into it to make it a bit modern. Maybe have their old uni as their third jersey.
And speaking of road trips, can't wait for the Jr Hockey Junkies to invade our northern neighbours/enemies. And a weekend of Hitmen beating the Oil Kings, Flames over the Oilers and Stamps over Eskies would be just heaven. Hey I can dream. :bounce:

3rebels
06-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Does anyone remember Gronk?? Old Oil King from the past. Let Todd re-do the unis and leave the name. It has history and not too far from "Oilers"
Let the games begin !!! :groovy: