PDA

View Full Version : Former Ams player involved in accident

Triton
05-31-2006, 10:22 AM
A 22-year-old hockey player with a big smile and a bigger heart was killed Monday in a one-vehicle wreck on Highway 240 west of Richland.

Brian J. Clark of Kennewick died after the 1999 GMC Jimmy he was in drifted onto the shoulder and rolled just before 9 p.m., according to the Washington State Patrol.

The Jimmy's driver, Justin S. Togiai, 22, of Kennewick, was treated and later released from Kadlec Medical Center in Richland, said patrol Sgt. Zach Elmore.

Clark and Togiai, a former Tri-City Americans hockey player, were headed home from a Memorial Day camping trip. They were the only ones in the vehicle, and both were wearing seat belts, Elmore said. Alcohol was not involved, he said.

The state patrol was investigating Tuesday as news of Clark's death sent shock waves through the local hockey community.

The 2002 Kamiakin High School graduate grew up playing the sport and was well-liked and respected, said Tri-City Titans coach Greg Sponholtz, a longtime friend.

Clark played Junior B hockey for the Portland Pioneers, and was known for his hard work, Sponholtz said.

And for his personality.

"(Clark) could always make a joke and raise your spirits. I can't think of one time he was in a bad mood," said Sponholtz's son, Kyle, 20. "No matter who you were, he would always take you in and be nice to you."

At Staveley Instruments in Kennewick, where Clark and Togiai worked in shipping and receiving, Clark often brightened the day by leaving funny notes or drawings on co-workers' desks.

"The first (word) I think of with Brian -- hilarious," said Brandi Norsworthy, who works at Staveley.

"(He had) creativity with everything. He could write. He could turn a yes or no answer into a book," added co-worker Christie Willer.

That light-heartedness that made Clark fun to be around, while his serious concern for others made him a good friend, said his mom, Sherry, who also works at Staveley.

"He was probably the best friend anybody could have. He loved to laugh. He was always meeting new people, and making friends wherever he went," she said.

And he was quick to help people in need -- from a buddy to a stranger he'd meet on the street.

"He's a pretty amazing kid. ... He was God's gift to me," Sherry said.

Other survivors include his father, John, and brother Ian, a senior at Kamiakin High. A memorial service is planned at 11 a.m. Friday at Cathedral of Joy in Richland.

Brad
05-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Just to clarify, Clark was not an AMS player. Justin Togiai, the driver who was treated and released, was the former Americans player.

Triton
05-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Yeah your right.I must have confused myself.I fixed the title.Sorry bout that.

J23
05-31-2006, 10:36 AM
That's such a tragedy, much too young to die! Thoughts and prayers are with both families.

dondo
05-31-2006, 01:50 PM
it's phenomenal how quickly something likw that can happen - my thoughts to his family and the former Ams player who must be a freaking basket case right now - its pretty hard to imagine what you'd feel like if you were the driver and your buddy was the one who died.