PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Draft...

patsfan33
06-01-2006, 12:47 AM
anyone like to share their opinions on who they think will or would like see to go/stay??

I'm not going lie, if they take Reinhart, I'm throwing a damn party :groovy:

...although i wouldn't cry if Fauth, J. MacDonald, or Lind were chosen either, I'm not a Pyett fan either but I highly doubt that he is going to be unprotected....

...i've got mixed feelings about Reeks, he had his highs and lows last year, Rowats got a bright future, but I dunno if he's ready for #1 yet... i guess i still have faith in Reekie so IMO i think one would be quite moronic to have David up for grabs (although I'm sure he won't be...)

...we give up N.Ross, Rowat, Deck, Festerling, Schira, Teubert, or Bernhardt I might forfeit my season tickets....yes Parker that IS a threat :D

either way it does suck to see a member of the team go, best of luck to whoever is the "chosen one"... :wave:

nivek_wahs
06-01-2006, 01:53 AM
Hmmm... my thoughts...

Fraipont, Fauth, Senseman, McDonald, Sievert, Brownlee, Fuder & MacDermott are the most likely to be exposed...

Depending on what Chilliwack is looking for... If they are looking for gritty sandpaper-like players they might be looking for Fuder, Sievert or Brownlee.

If they are looking for a big defencemen that isn't afraid to clear out the front of the net they might take Fauth (leadership as well) or Fraipont.

If they are looking for talented players with their potential yet to be tapped they might pick Ryan McDonald, Michael Senseman or Matt MacDermott.

As players born in 1990 and 1991 (drafted in the 2005 and 2006 WHL bantam draft) are not eligible to be selected... Teubert is safe :clap: .

My protected list might look something like... Deck, Reinhart, Schira, MacDonald, K. Ross, Bernhardt, Festerling, Duval, Kalus (just in case... here's hoping :D ), Leffler, Lind, N. Ross, Pyett, Reekie, Rowat.

Derek Hulak and Matt Delahey might also get protected...

Left field is where I might be with my thoughts but that's just what they are...

nivek_wahs
06-01-2006, 01:57 AM
I'm not going lie, if they take Reinhart, I'm throwing a damn party

As much as I am not a fan of his either... I think the Pats missed him on many occasions. I am not going to cut anyone down but in the playoffs when Reinhart got hurt and a 19 year old veteran (Fauth) was in the lineup i was scared EVERY time he was on the ice. I might be crazy here but I would keep Reinhart and maybe try to trade him... I'm sure there are a few teams that might want a veteran d-man with a mean streak (if healthy :D ).

Thats my opinion...

patsdude114
06-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Im going to have to defend Reinhart here... he isnt as bad as people make him out to be... the reason why so many pick on his play so much is cause he isnt a fast moving defenceman..... he is our most physical D-man on our team isnt afraid to fight anyone, stands up for his teammates, plays hurt alot.... he is our only D-man who can handle the bigger stronger forwards in our league, sure he doesnt have the foot speed but he plays his angles better then any of our D-man.... he is a drafted player on our team (only other player was Kalus) he made it to a NHL main camp....he will be on our team nexted season as our #5 D-man

He has great leadership for our team and remember he was hurt alot last season which kept him out of the line-up alot and not in game shape which made him look worse then he really is....he plays his angles the best on our defence...sure hes not a fast player but he does make smart plays when he gets the puck...remember these kids are still teenagers they will make mistakes...Deck makes tons of mistakes out there and couldnt fight his way out of a wet paper bag..but yet not many critisize his play much.

With our depth on our blueline this season i would love to see the Pats send a package deal involving Reekie and Deck to get a consisent goalie in our league (if theres any out there this season on a rebuilding team) Reekie wont be back as a 20 yr old goalie in 2007/08 seasonso deal him and a top offensive D-man in our league to get a very capable goalie who can take us deep into the playoffs..... but who knows maybe Reekie cuold just loose his starting job to Rowat kinda like how Harding won his starting role when he was 17..Harding did start the season off as the back-up but by xmas he has the starting role and ran with it.

All in all we should have a good team this season.. will be 100 times better if we could somehow get Kalus back.....

patsfan33
06-02-2006, 12:46 AM
... he is our most physical D-man on our team isnt afraid to fight anyone, stands up for his teammates, plays hurt alot....
...Nick Ross and Schira are a hell of alot more physical than Derek out there, nobody has the ability to hipcheck like those two

... he is our only D-man who can handle the bigger stronger forwards in our league, sure he doesnt have the foot speed but he plays his angles better then any of our D-man....

...i haven't seen Reinhart 'handle' anyone and its not his foot speed that I cringe at, this kid gift wraps the puck to anyone who ISN'T wearing a Pats jersey (most of the time)...he is a vetern however, and because of that he isn't completely unreliable out there, but I have much more faith in our younger D

Deck makes tons of mistakes out there and couldnt fight his way out of a wet paper bag..but yet not many critisize his play much...

...i can agree with you (at times) on this one...i think both Deck and Pyett are overrated, but I'd have to say that I'd take those two, over Reinhart anyday....the way i see it however, this season, Schira and N. Ross have the potential to become our top d-men, these two know what needs to be done and how to do it

Anyway, the 'package deal' idea is definately one I'd support. I too would love to get a more reliable tender between the pipes, but I'm also interested to see what Rowat can do who now has one full season of dub action under his belt...but who knows, if Reeks come out in top form (and he stays that way), things could be interesting

All in all we should have a good team this season.. will be 100 times better if we could somehow get Kalus back.....
Damn straight!

thanks for the input...and once again, best of luck to whoever is off to Chilliwack :wave:

nivek_wahs
06-02-2006, 01:56 AM
i think both Deck and Pyett are overrated, but I'd have to say that I'd take those two, over Reinhart anyday....the way i see it however, this season, Schira and N. Ross have the potential to become our top d-men, these two know what needs to be done and how to do it

I would have to disagree with the overrated part... They do turn over the puck and make errors... but these guys play a ton... N. Ross and Schira will steadily get better... Enough has been said about Reinhart (he's only 19, give him a break)...

If I had a choice I would keep all 5 of them. Add in Colten Teubert as a 16 year old thats the teams "top 6" defencemen. I would try to keep all 6 around and go into camp with all of them and let the youngsters (Matt Delahey, Jeff Wright, Spencer Fraipont, Matt MacDermott, Stefan Schenieder [if he's still listed] et all) battle them for a job (if one hasn't been selected in the ex. draft).

The "package deal" would be an interesting idea, but I think that the Pats will keep going with Reekie and Rowat at least to start the season and if Rowat is able to take the starting job the more power to him.

If Rowat becomes the starter and the Pats were to deal Reekie and had enough confidence in Rowat... would they be willng to use a 16 year old back-up? Jeff Bosch or Matt D'Orazio. I doubt it, but weirder things have happened. And what about Ryan Neiszner? Hmmm....

I also think if the right deal came along "package" or not. Parker would be crazy not to take it :spineyes: . Goalie or scorer or both. I will be happy no matter what, 12 wins to 40 is happiness enough for me :laugh:.

witness
06-02-2006, 11:46 AM
I think the odd men out will be Fuder, Faith and Sievert. I would think that an expansion team that can carry 5 - 20 year olds would jump at the chance for Fuder. Great character guy.
Reinhardt will be protected, but I just don't see a spot on this team for him. Last year 16 year olds where playing before him and, with Tuebert, he falls further on the depth chart. I don't think you keep a 19 year old to be your 6th defence man and it won't help with his development. I would suspect that he might ask to be moved.
For the last two years, he was just hurt too much to be effective. His development has been slow and he will not be able to adapt to the new NHL style of play.

nivek_wahs
06-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Chiliwack picks Martin Hanzal... I can live with that.

patsfan33
06-02-2006, 06:39 PM
lol..i totally forgot about Hanzal...i'm definately ok with that since he was such a asswipe about playing for us anyway...although he could have been used to make a decent trade, but all in all I'm a happy camper! :thumb:

Bran
06-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Chiliwack picks Martin Hanzal... I can live with that.
I forgot he was even an option. Wonder if he'll report??

nivek_wahs
06-02-2006, 07:15 PM
I forgot he was even an option. Wonder if he'll report??

Even if he does report his progress in the North American-type game will be hampered due to his "holding out" last year. If I'm not mistaken he played some in the USHL but didn't fare too well I believe.

He may turn out to be a gooder in the WHL but... at least we wont have to face him too many times (once?)... :D...

And the rest of the team will remain intact :clap: until camp barring trades and or releases :confused: .

nivek_wahs
06-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Here's the press release...
From reginapats.com

June 2, 2006

PATS LOSE HANZEL
Czech Sniper goes to Bruins in Expansion Draft

Regina Saskatchewan: The Regina Pats announced that they have lost Czech sniper Martin Hanzel in today’s Western Hockey League Expansion Draft. The draft was conducted today to stock the Western Hockey Leagues newest franchise, The Chilliwack Bruins, with talent so they can start play in September 2006. Each WHL franchise will lose one player in today’s draft with the exception of the teams that made trades prior to today’s draft. A complete list of the draft will be made available and released by the WHL Office.

Pats General Manager Brent Parker: “We feel that losing Martin was the best possible scenario for us as it pertains to today’s expansion draft. We did not lose any of the players off of our current roster or any of our young prospects, and more importantly we did not lose a player that wanted to be a Regina Pat. A great deal of time, effort and money has gone into the recruitment of Martin and unfortunately we were unable to make it work for him here in Regina. We are glad to have this day over with and we are happy to have the entire Martin Hanzel saga behind us.”

The Regina Pats will conduct their annual spring fitness camp this weekend with ice session at 10:00am both Saturday and Sunday at the Sherwood Twin Arena, all sessions are open to the public.

So the Pats will now pick at least 1 Import at the Euro Draft... Another Czech perhaps? :laugh:

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-03-2006, 01:47 AM
This is not the way i expected hanzel to leave. The team doesnt really lose anything, but we could have gotten something more out of this.

nivek_wahs
06-03-2006, 11:23 AM
No disappointment from me... Hanzal/his agent weren't being cooperative so why not just start over with a brand new Euro? I say good job Bruins in taking away the Pats' headache. :clap:

nivek_wahs
06-03-2006, 11:25 AM
from reginapats.com via The LeaderPost

Hanzal no longer a worry for Pats' Parker

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, June 03, 2006

Czech-out time has finally arrived for Martin Hanzal.

The highly touted European prospect, a first-round draft pick (17th overall) of the Phoenix Coyotes in 2005, was snatched off the unprotected list of the Regina Pats during Friday's WHL expansion draft.

Hanzal's selection by the Chilliwack Bruins concludes an ongoing saga which began two years ago when he refused to report to Regina after being selected in the first round of the CHL import draft.

Regina invested considerable time and resources in trying to recruit the 19-year-old power forward.

It turned out to be wasted effort.

"He's somebody else's headache now," said Pats GM Brent Parker, who expressed relief to be washing his hands of the situation. "Honestly, we feel it's the best-case scenario that we could have had (for the expansion draft). We didn't lose anybody who is currently on our roster so we really felt that would be the best scenario for us."

The Pats had actually hoped to alleviate their headache through a trade, but they were unable to secure what Parker deemed fair compensation for a player of that calibre.

Prior to last season's trade deadline, Hanzal's European-based agent, Robert Spalenka, submitted a list of just three teams to which Hanzal would accept a deal: The Red Deer Rebels, Kamloops Blazers and Vancouver Giants.

Parker was unable to work out a swap with one of those clubs -- and he didn't foresee the market improving any time soon.

"I think we were pretty much positive that it wasn't going to happen," Parker said. "We could probably have made a deal at the deadline (last year) for draft picks. We didn't see a point in that. At this stage we could have traded him for draft picks and then ended up losing a player off of our roster in the expansion draft and who knows if the draft picks ever turn out. Our feeling was, we'll leave him available. If they take him, we're not losing anybody who wants to be here."

It's not known if Hanzal will report to Chilliwack or if he'll end up with another club.

Parker hasn't talked with Hanzal's representatives in some time, but he's suspicious that a trade with another WHL team might be in the works.

"I don't know if Chilliwack has had any discussions (with Hanzal's agent) -- or other teams," Parker said. "I wouldn't be surprised to see him get flipped. I certainly hope other teams haven't been talking to anybody on our list prior to it happening, but we haven't had any conversations with him."

Parker still wishes the relationship could have been salvaged.

"I don't think we ever felt it was going to end up this way when we drafted him," added the GM. "Had he stayed with his original representation (he switched agents prior to the 2004 import draft) I don't think it would have ended up this way. I've said all along, it's unfortunate. The young man got some very poor advice and it has cost him a full year of development. I hope for his sake that he gets back to form and has an opportunity to advance his career and play in the NHL."

NOTE: The Pats have called a media conference for Monday at 2 p.m. to make an announcement regarding their hockey operations staff. It was reported in Thursday's Leader-Post that Regina has come to terms on three-year contracts with head coach Curtis Hunt, assistant Terry Perkins, head scout Todd Ripplinger and athletic therapist/trainer Greg Mayer.

THE PICKS

2006 WHL Expansion Draft

Chilliwack Bruins selections on Friday:

Player Selected, Team, Position, Age

Stephane Lenoski, Brandon, D, 20

Craig Lineker, Calgary, D, 20

Matt Meropoulis, Everett, RW, 17

Mike Cann, Lethbridge, D, 18

Tyler Spurgeon, Kelowna, C, 20

Cam Stevens, Kootenay, D, 17

Scott Maetche, Moose Jaw, D, 17

Alex Archibald, Prince Albert, G, 19

Levi Brotnov, Prince George, C, 19

Ken Petkau, Red Deer, RW, 19

Martin Hanzal, Regina, C, 19

Andrew Pinsent, Seattle, G, 18

Myles Stoesz, Spokane, LW, 19

Josh Aspenlind, Swift Current, RW, 20

Landon Jones, Tri-City, D, 20

Donnie Glennie, Tri-City, C, 18

Keith Voytechek, Tri-City, LW, 19

Players acquired via trades in

lieu of an expansion pick:

Player Selected, Team, Position, Age

Jim Watt, Saskatoon, G, 20

Mike Hengen, Saskatoon, D, 19

Colton Graf, Medicine Hat, LW, 16

Matt Schneider, Medicine Hat, C, 17

Colby Kulhanek, Portland, C, 16,

Randy McMaught, Portland, C, 15

Cody Smuk, Vancouver, RW, 16,

2007 4th round bantam pick, Vancouver

2006 4th round bantam pick, Kamloops.

dondo
06-03-2006, 11:58 AM
these agents that dictate for their players at this level just piss me off - I wouldn't want a euro floater who is more concerned with who he plays with than the fact that he gets to play and play lots.

As a Giant supporter we wouldn't want him at all - both Mario Bliznak and Michal Repik - a Czech player ( a huge steal for the G-Men - big skill and doesn't become draft eligible 'til next year), play hard-nosed North American hockey and both are comitted to the game not their own egos.

I predict that this Hanzal kid is going to be surprised when the Coyotes don't agree to play these kinds of games and a 17th over-all pick wouldn't have that much sway.

so congrats on getting rid of your headache and we will gleefully be running roughshod over Hanzal every chance we get next season, for you guys. :D

nivek_wahs
06-03-2006, 01:19 PM
so congrats on getting rid of your headache and we will gleefully be running roughshod over Hanzal every chance we get next season, for you guys. :D

Thanks... :wave:

I wish you good luck... the kid is 6'5, 200+ pounds :laugh:

dondo
06-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by dondo
so congrats on getting rid of your headache and we will gleefully be running roughshod over Hanzal every chance we get next season, for you guys.

Thanks... :wave:

I wish you good luck... the kid is 6'5, 200+ pounds :laugh:

Franson can take him and Hunt will just chop him off at the knees :laugh: - if that doesn't work "old Slade" will come out of retirement and slash him ala Billy Smith :thumb:

patsfan33
06-03-2006, 02:45 PM
ha ha ha...i like ur attitude buddy :clap:

nivek_wahs
06-03-2006, 02:48 PM
if that doesn't work "old Slade" will come out of retirement and slash him ala Billy Smith

Brings back memories... And brings a tear to my eye... I still can see Dustin Boyd's helmet flying straight up in the air :laugh:

dondo
06-03-2006, 03:22 PM
one of my favorite memories from last year was the "fight" between Triston Grant and Dustin Slade here at the Coliseum.

Slade was getting the gears from the fans and was in a particularly honery mood, and Triston was on the edge of the blue-ice, so Dustin cuffs him and Grant gives him a slash back and then Dustin crosschecks him hard so Triston turns around lifts Dustin's mask and just begins to pound the crap out of him. It was a pure old time hockey (the only kind in my mind :thumb: ) and cemented me getting seasons tickets for this past season - that was a wild game with tons of fights and even some hockey.

Also guys - did you realize that Paul Albers was that good? I had no idea how much of an anchor he would be on our team and pairing him with Franson was like twins separated at birth time - they passed like the Sedin twins all season almost preternaturally knowing where the other was.

btw I love the image of Dustin Boyd's helmet flying into the air :laugh:

nivek_wahs
06-03-2006, 04:49 PM
one of my favorite memories from last year was the "fight" between Triston Grant and Dustin Slade here at the Coliseum.

Slade was getting the gears from the fans and was in a particularly honery mood, and Triston was on the edge of the blue-ice, so Dustin cuffs him and Grant gives him a slash back and then Dustin crosschecks him hard so Triston turns around lifts Dustin's mask and just begins to pound the crap out of him. It was a pure old time hockey (the only kind in my mind :thumb: ) and cemented me getting seasons tickets for this past season - that was a wild game with tons of fights and even some hockey.

Is there any other kind? :laugh:

witness
06-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Also guys - did you realize that Paul Albers was that good? I had no idea how much of an anchor he would be on our team and pairing him with Franson was like twins separated at birth time - they passed like the Sedin twins all season almost preternaturally knowing where the other was.

There was no doubt that Albers had talent. His first pass to clear the defensive zone was always excellent. You have to remember that the Pats had a real crappy team the year he was traded. Even if he made the first pass there was no one that could complete the second pass (or even receive the pass), so that skill usually went unnoticed. Then the defense move to just chipping the puck off the glass to get it out (Reinhardt is still in that mode). In order to excel, Albers needed to play with more talented players. Which in Vancouver he got. The Pats, at the time, need more size and grit. Which they got for 20 games.

Even though Parker doesn't say so, losing Hanzel hurts a bit. He was an asset. You just hate to lose anybody, but if you have to lose someone...

The thing we have to remember is that the kid did want to come to North America to play hockey. The hold out was all about his agent. And it wasn't just the WHL and the Pats, it was also with the Coyotes. His agent was trying to flex his muscles and jerk people around. In the end, the only person that got jerked around was Hanzel.

The kid needs to go to a new organization and start fresh. He needs to put this whole situation behind him. He would never be able to do that with the Pats and I am not sure that the Coyotes are going to be all that forgiving. But, he has talent and could be a great junior player.

dondo
06-05-2006, 11:12 AM
from what I read about what Parker says as well - in that his original agent wouldn't have been such a headache, but when Hanzal switched agents then it became a major problem with the new agent demanding where the player would play, etc etc.

For a development league it seems extremely counter-productive to allow that kind of "management" of players. There are always going to bad agents who are too short-sighted to see that their player will get more noticed as the best player on a poor team than just another skill guy on a stacked squad. And if that player is that good then he'll elevate the players around him.

It seems to me that the WHL needs to nip this kind of thing in the bud before it spirals out of control - I don't know if its the nature of more media or more of this kind of thing happening lately, but it seems to be getting to be a common occurence and the more bad agents who get away with it the worse it is for the league and could all snowball.

Nobody likes to lose an asset or be-moan the fact that they wasted a draft on a player who didn't pan out. That sucks and when its one of your two euros then it sucks even more.

also: a question - is Parker related to Brett Parker - I know Brett and Albers were from the same town in Saskatchewan and was wondering if your GM was related to the player out here.

oh and nivek .. in answer to your Q - "not in my world" :thumb:

Bran
06-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Oh, dondo...you think like 90% of the Pats fans I know...haha, I like you.

Hanzal may have all the talent in the world, and maybe he's been getting bad advice from his agent but he'd better be careful. At what point does a kid realize that he's getting bad advice and either dump him, or start taking some responsibility for the decisions being made.

I don't know if Brent Parker is related to Brett Parker...I kinda doubt it, and it's a fairly common name, but who knows.