PDA

View Full Version : Perkins can handle the job..

Triton
06-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, June 02, 2006

In the process of expanding his own resume with Hockey Canada, Regina Pats head coach Curtis Hunt took a timeout to provide a glowing reference for assistant Terry Perkins.

Hunt's right-hand man will take the Pats' reins for most of December while Hunt fulfills his responsibilities as an assistant with Team Canada at the world junior hockey championship in Sweden.

Hunt predicts a smooth transition for Perkins, a reputable bench boss who joined the Pats last season after serving as the head coach and GM of the BCHL's Powell River Kings.

Perkins' coaching resume also includes two medals with Team Pacific at the world under-17 hockey challenge, winning bronze as an assistant in 2000 and silver the following year as head coach.

"There is no hesitation on my part to worry about the state of the Regina Pats," said Hunt, who was named to Canada's coaching staff a week ago today. "Terry has proven through his track record that he can run a bench. Our relationship from a year ago to now is certainly one of trust and openness. I have more than enough confidence that Terry is going to do a terrific job.

"We'll leave (the team) in great hands."

Hunt has frequently lauded the contributions of his assistant, whose work often goes unnoticed by those outside the organization.

"When you go from 12 wins to 40, lots of people pat me on the back but you can't do that without a tremendous support staff," said Hunt. "The work (Perkins) does behind the scenes is a lot of times thankless. He has done a terrific job for us."

The Pats are also looking into recruiting a part-time assistant to help out in Hunt's absence.

Hunt, Perkins, head scout Todd Ripplinger and trainer Greg Mayer are all expected to sign three-year contract extensions in the next few days.