PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Mueller

Tipped Off
06-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Mighty Mueller

Everett Silvertips center Peter Mueller might be the total package of size and skill, and eh could be ticketed for top-10 status at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

By Kirk Luedeke

Peter Mueller is about to become the first-ever NHL draft pick to come out of the Everett Silvertips organization, and looks to be a lock for the top 10 at the NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver June 24.

Peter Mueller
GETTY
The 6-foot-2, 205-pound center and Bloomington, Minn. native was originally slated to join Don Lucia’s highly successful University of Minnesota program, for whom he would have skated alongside other high-profile ‘06 draft candidates such as Erik Johnson, Phil Kessel and Kyle Okposo this coming fall and possibly beyond. However, Mueller had a change of heart, and instead opted for the Silvertips, who drafted him with a third-round selection in the 2003 WHL Bantam Draft.

“It was a difficult decision, but the right one for me,” said Mueller of his opting for major junior instead of the NCAA route. “I had some sleepless nights over it, but in the end, the big factor for me was the 72-game schedule, which translates more into what you experience in the pro game. And having the chance to play for a great coach in Kevin Constantine was something I couldn’t pass up.”

Mueller is hailed as a complete package – a player who has all the size and physical traits hockey scouts drool over. He’s a strong skater and possesses outstanding puck skills to go with an innate feeling for the game.

“Mueller’s a player you have to watch,” said one Eastern Conference NHL director of scouting. “He’s got that big frame and is such a natural scorer. In fact, he could be more of a natural scorer than (Phil) Kessel.”

While Mueller’s goal total (26 in 52 WHL games this season) didn’t exactly define his finishing prowess, some of that can be attributed to major adjustment to the faster pace and higher skill level of the WHL compared with what he had experienced as a member of the U.S. National Team Development Program in Ann Arbor, Mich.

“It took me some games to feel comfortable (in the WHL), but I was able to do the little things at first, which helped me to build my confidence and make bigger strides as the year went on,” he revealed.

Mueller sees himself as an offensive-minded center who tries to make everyone around him better.

“I’m a two-way player, but the big thing is to try and make my teammates better,” he said.

Because Mueller has such a high skill level, he is sure to be off the board in the first six or seven selections, and his all-around game and enormous offensive potential could be something the Boston Bruins might not be able to pass up.

“I’ll be completely honest – going to the Bruins would be unbelievable,” he said. “You look at some of the guys who’ve played over the years like Ray Bourque and Cam Neely. That would just be an amazing situation for me.”

When asked how he might sell himself to prospective teams at draft time, he was pretty straightforward with his reasoning.

“I’m a playmaker who loves the game,” Mueller said. “If you pick me, you’ll have a player with the passion and leadership to make a difference. When I have a shot, I take it, and I want to do whatever I can to help my team win.”

If the B’s pass on Mueller, then the Columbus Blue Jackets, picking sixth, are rumored to be interested in the power center prospect.

With his first WHL season under his belt, Mueller is looking forward to increasing his role with the Silvertips or perhaps even making enough an impression with the NHL team that drafts him next fall at training camp.

“I want to build on last season,” he said. “We’ve got a lot of ‘88’s coming back, so we’ll have a good team and I want to work on being more of a leader. As for getting ready for camp, I’m going to do a lot of on and off-ice workouts to get in shape not only for the scouting combine, but for training camp as well. I’m excited about it and can’t wait for the season to start.”

The Peter Mueller file

CSS Mid-season rank: 5 (North America)
CSS Final rank: 6 (North America)
Height: 6-2
Weight: 205
Born: April 14, 1988
Shoots: Right
Hobbies: Fishing, hanging out with friends, going to the movies

Stats
Year, Team, League, GP, G, A, PTS, PIM
05-06, Everett, WHL, 52, 26, 32, 58, 44

Tipped Off
06-02-2006, 06:03 PM
“I’m a playmaker who loves the game,” Mueller said. “If you pick me, you’ll have a player with the passion and leadership to make a difference. When I have a shot, I take it, and I want to do whatever I can to help my team win.”

Gawd how I wish this were even more true! I can;t tell you the number of times I yelled at my TV (through the internet feed) or down to the Ice when Mueller has passed up a shot in favor of trying to make the perfect pass to a less talented team mate. I understand making those around you better, but sometimes you just gotta take the shot!