PDA

View Full Version : Goalie Situation??

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Now that Jim Watt is gone, who is supposed to be the starting goalie in 06-07?

They could just play the young guys and let next year be sort of a rebuilding season

OR

make a trade to bring in a veteran goaltender(it all depends on who is available),but that could cost them some key players,and maybe young players with potential.

The offseason just became a whole lot more interesting/nerve racking.

So let the speculation/guessing games begin. :laugh:

wango tango
06-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Now that Jim Watt is gone, who is supposed to be the starting goalie in 06-07?

They could just play the young guys and let next year be sort of a rebuilding season

OR

make a trade to bring in a veteran goaltender(it all depends on who is available),but that could cost them some key players,and maybe young players with potential.

The offseason just became a whole lot more interesting/nerve racking.

So let the speculation/guessing games begin. :laugh:

the blades are lucky because it is an ok year to be looking for a veteran goaltender as there are a few quality ones out there.

possible trade scenarios - barnes to kootenay for dakers. my 20's would then be (in the event they are all back): shultz, rabbit, and dakers. this deal would be my first choice.

barnes to kelowna for yeomans. 20's: shultz, rabbit, and yeomans.

barnes to portland for butler. 20's: shultz, cole, rabbit.

barnes and setoguchi to vancouver for tartaglione, repik, and a bantam draft pick. 20's: shultz, cole, rabbit.

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-05-2006, 02:56 PM
the blades are lucky because it is an ok year to be looking for a veteran goaltender as there are a few quality ones out there.

possible trade scenarios - barnes to kootenay for dakers. my 20's would then be (in the event they are all back): shultz, rabbit, and dakers. this deal would be my first choice.

barnes to kelowna for yeomans. 20's: shultz, rabbit, and yeomans.

barnes to portland for butler. 20's: shultz, cole, rabbit.

barnes and setoguchi to vancouver for tartaglione, repik, and a bantam draft pick. 20's: shultz, cole, rabbit.
I think that Vancouver would be interested in that deal with both Barnes and Setoguchi attached.

If those were possibilities that the Blades would consider than I think those would be good deals.

Beaner
06-05-2006, 04:10 PM

Sorry Vancouver will not be trading Repik. And Vancouver has no interest in yet another 20 year old, what with already having 5, although Fistric wont be back.

Lots of Setoguchi going to Vancouver rumors but this price tag is to high.

Maybe Setoguchi to Vancouver for Tartaglione, 1st round Euro Pick and a list player?

SectionNDeserter
06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Sorry Vancouver will not be trading Repik. And Vancouver has no interest in yet another 20 year old, what with already having 5As far as the overage thing goes, it is really a buyer's market. Why trade for an overage player, when you can just pick him up for nothing later when they are released prior to the overage deadline?

Trav
06-05-2006, 06:00 PM
and Rockets making a deal involving either Yeomans or Westbloom. Either one would be a good fit here.

wango tango
06-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Sorry Vancouver will not be trading Repik. And Vancouver has no interest in yet another 20 year old, what with already having 5, although Fistric wont be back.

Lots of Setoguchi going to Vancouver rumors but this price tag is to high.

Maybe Setoguchi to Vancouver for Tartaglione, 1st round Euro Pick and a list player?

fistric will be gone, brule will not be back, sounds like lamb may also not be back, possible for festerling and slade to come back so that would leave scharff as the giants third 20.

after kraus there is a dropoff at center, especially if brule is not back, so barnes would help to fill that.

my thinking is barnes for tartaglione. and setoguchi for repik.

wango tango
06-06-2006, 09:36 AM
As far as the overage thing goes, it is really a buyer's market. Why trade for an overage player, when you can just pick him up for nothing later when they are released prior to the overage deadline?

when has a quality 20 ever been there after the overage deadline to just pickup? they are almost always dealt usually in a one for one type of situation whether it be a current player or a pick. if they are not dealt a mysterious knock puts them on the injured list to buy more time.

SectionNDeserter
06-06-2006, 10:04 AM
when has a quality 20 ever been there after the overage deadline to just pickup? they are almost always dealt usually in a one for one type of situation whether it be a current player or a pick. if they are not dealt a mysterious knock puts them on the injured list to buy more time.It isn't the fact that they are available after the deadline, they are usually dealt for a late round pick or future considerations to avoid losing them for nothing at the deadline. My point is that no team is going to deal a highly regarded goaltender (or any highly regarded player for that matter), for an overage player when they know that the player will become available for free (ie: The team looking at the overage player has ALL the leverage in the negotiations).

Triton
06-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Either way,I think the Blades could be in trouble next season.

Beaner
06-06-2006, 10:46 AM
fistric will be gone, brule will not be back, sounds like lamb may also not be back, possible for festerling and slade to come back so that would leave scharff as the giants third 20.

after kraus there is a dropoff at center, especially if brule is not back, so barnes would help to fill that.

my thinking is barnes for tartaglione. and setoguchi for repik.

Unless Lamb is traded, or the Giants just cut him loose I'm not sure where you think he might be going. He still is undrafted at this point in time. Still leaves the Giants with 4 potential overage returnees. Brule and Fistric are done at the Junior level. Festerling and Slade still have good shots (50/50) at moving up a level. Scharff and Lamb will both be back at camp.

Yes we will have a drop at center without Brule, but don't forget we were a top team before Brule came back, with the lineup we had. I will admit though that some more depth down the middle would be nice. A Second offensive minded center for the Giants would be nice.

Sorry, just cant see Repik going anywhere. 52 points in his Rookie year and he should be even better this year. And the majority of those points, 40+, he got before Brule came back. An 18 year old Repik for a 19 year old Setoguchi makes no sense to me. It also means the Giants will be looking for another Euro in the draft, and we all know what a gamble that can be. Why trade your euro who has already proved himself and enjoys playing where he is?

Barnes for Tartaglione seems to be too high for the Giants to pay for a 20 year old center. Lots of teams have expressed an interest in Tommy, I think he could fetch more, or at least a younger center.

Honestly it is going to be a hard year to move Overagers. Seems like every team has extra 20's this year so supply is going to out-weigh demand. I believe that there will be more than a few overagers available at the overage cut-down deadline.

wango tango
06-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Unless Lamb is traded, or the Giants just cut him loose I'm not sure where you think he might be going. He still is undrafted at this point in time. Still leaves the Giants with 4 potential overage returnees. Brule and Fistric are done at the Junior level. Festerling and Slade still have good shots (50/50) at moving up a level. Scharff and Lamb will both be back at camp.

Yes we will have a drop at center without Brule, but don't forget we were a top team before Brule came back, with the lineup we had. I will admit though that some more depth down the middle would be nice. A Second offensive minded center for the Giants would be nice.

Sorry, just cant see Repik going anywhere. 52 points in his Rookie year and he should be even better this year. And the majority of those points, 40+, he got before Brule came back. An 18 year old Repik for a 19 year old Setoguchi makes no sense to me. It also means the Giants will be looking for another Euro in the draft, and we all know what a gamble that can be. Why trade your euro who has already proved himself and enjoys playing where he is?

Barnes for Tartaglione seems to be too high for the Giants to pay for a 20 year old center. Lots of teams have expressed an interest in Tommy, I think he could fetch more, or at least a younger center.

Honestly it is going to be a hard year to move Overagers. Seems like every team has extra 20's this year so supply is going to out-weigh demand. I believe that there will be more than a few overagers available at the overage cut-down deadline.

and you're right barnes for tartaglione straight up may be a little high. but based on deals made last year for 20's like rome and wick, barnes and a pick for tartaglione would probably be about right.

setoguchi if he is on the trade block would fetch a good price, maybe not as high as possible because he would be a rent-a-player. i still feel a setoguchi/repik straight up deal is fair value for both clubs, right now before the euro draft, and before the season starts. too many things change during the season to know if it would be fair down the line.

Hatguy
06-06-2006, 01:35 PM
You could take Andrew Leslie from the Warriors, he's not coming back to Moose Jaw.

SectionNDeserter
06-06-2006, 01:39 PM
and you're right barnes for tartaglione straight up may be a little high. but based on deals made last year for 20's like rome and wick, barnes and a pick for tartaglione would probably be about right.Or maybe Sutter will snag him for a 4th round pick eh Beaner? :D

Beaner
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Or maybe Sutter will snag him for a 4th round pick eh Beaner? :D

LOL, Didnt realize that Sutter was related to the Hurricanes GM. :D

SectionNDeserter
06-06-2006, 02:05 PM
LOL, Didnt realize that Sutter was related to the Hurricanes GM. :DNow now, thats just coincidence!

dondo
06-06-2006, 07:40 PM
i still feel a setoguchi/repik straight up deal is fair value for both clubs, right now before the euro draft, and before the season starts. too many things change during the season to know if it would be fair down the line.

I can't agree there at all - Repik is not eligible for draft until next year, he has untapped potential and burgeoning skill that will ultimately over-shadow Setoguchi's numbers - this is an almost guaranteed high first round pick, and a euro to boot.

Trading an 17/18 year old for a 20 yr old especially one who has so much talent would be foolhardy at best and Bonner ain't no dummy. No Repik is a Giant until he leaves for the NHL.

It is in no way a fair equal deal for both clubs - although I like Setoguchi - he's going to still garner 20 yr old rent-a-player kind trade numbers and as Beaner has already said we have five twenty olds were already trying to reconcile.

I see Tommy T as a possible trade and - Barnes and a pick sounds fair for a goalie that should become a force in the WHL over the next couple of years.

Kraus will go back to first line centre if we don't pick up another top guy.

wango tango
06-07-2006, 01:45 PM
I can't agree there at all - Repik is not eligible for draft until next year, he has untapped potential and burgeoning skill that will ultimately over-shadow Setoguchi's numbers - this is an almost guaranteed high first round pick, and a euro to boot.

Trading an 17/18 year old for a 20 yr old especially one who has so much talent would be foolhardy at best and Bonner ain't no dummy. No Repik is a Giant until he leaves for the NHL.

It is in no way a fair equal deal for both clubs - although I like Setoguchi - he's going to still garner 20 yr old rent-a-player kind trade numbers and as Beaner has already said we have five twenty olds were already trying to reconcile.

I see Tommy T as a possible trade and - Barnes and a pick sounds fair for a goalie that should become a force in the WHL over the next couple of years.

Kraus will go back to first line centre if we don't pick up another top guy.

still believe setoguchi for repik straight up is a fair deal. here's why.

it's a trade of proven (setoguchi) for potential (repik). setoguchi will be 19 this coming season, repik 18. not a wide disparity in age.

setoguchi. top 10 in league scoring, goals, and assists. as a nineteen year old, next season, i'd expect him to be in the top five in all those categories. improved his point total by almost 20 over the season before. he is greater than a point a game player. approximately a quarter of his points came on the pp.

repik. among the league leaders in rookie scoring as a 17 year old. as an eighteen year old, next season, i'd expect him to increase his overall point total by about 15 to 20 points for the season putting him in the 67 to 72 area. i project he'll be a point a game player. almost half of his points came on special teams.

setoguchi at 17 - 33 goals 31 assists 64 points.
repik at 17 - 24 goals 28 assists 52 points.

points and stats alone to do not tell the whole story. repik is a competitor with strong offensive skills, is perhaps on the smaller side 5'11" is being generous, 170 pounds. setoguchi has strong offensive skills combined with a solid physical game out of his 6'0", 200 pounds.

to be fair to repik he accomplished 52 points in the whl as a rookie, and euro spending his first year away from home. he is a player.

Beaner
06-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Sorry Wango.

Looking at your arguement for Seto/Repik striaght up, I just dont see Seto being that much of an improvement over Repik. Repik should increase his stats for next year, probably not to the same point as Seto, but why mess with team chemistry for a 10-15 point increase?

Repik should be even better next year now that he is used to the Culture change both on the ice and off it. Also with his english continuing to improve, and the experience of making the MC, well.....

The final thing to think about is will the Giants be able to get Bertram here next year? If they can do we really need another Winger? Who knows what Bertram may do in the dub, but if he is here, he should do well.

Personally I think the Giants needs are depth down the middle, and maybe another DMan. The Dman depends on who's back next year. If Festerling makes the AHL look for the Giants to make a move quick to fill that hole.

I guess we will just have to disagree on this Seto for Repik trade..

wango tango
06-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Sorry Wango.

Looking at your arguement for Seto/Repik striaght up, I just dont see Seto being that much of an improvement over Repik. Repik should increase his stats for next year, probably not to the same point as Seto, but why mess with team chemistry for a 10-15 point increase?

Repik should be even better next year now that he is used to the Culture change both on the ice and off it. Also with his english continuing to improve, and the experience of making the MC, well.....

The final thing to think about is will the Giants be able to get Bertram here next year? If they can do we really need another Winger? Who knows what Bertram may do in the dub, but if he is here, he should do well.

Personally I think the Giants needs are depth down the middle, and maybe another DMan. The Dman depends on who's back next year. If Festerling makes the AHL look for the Giants to make a move quick to fill that hole.

I guess we will just have to disagree on this Seto for Repik trade..

and that's cool. what i've enjoyed most about this is talking hockey without things deteriorating into some kind of name calling (like some other boards, no names mentioned).

what is the story with dan bertram, will he be joining the giants? his addition would definately ease the loss of brule. the giants will be a fine host for the memorial cup. i wonder if they'll look to add something extra to help put them over the top after finishing third.

langdak
06-07-2006, 02:19 PM
I am not gonna go into details here, but i must say, Wango, do you live in a cave?

Am i right after reading all this that you figure those 2 straight up is an equal trade?

Repik - potential 1st round pick in 07

Setoguchi - rental player for 1 year

I realize the blades are in trouble next year, but your fantasy trades i beleive have gone one step too far

Beaner
06-07-2006, 02:23 PM
what is the story with dan bertram, will he be joining the giants? his addition would definately ease the loss of brule. the giants will be a fine host for the memorial cup. i wonder if they'll look to add something extra to help put them over the top after finishing third.

The word on Bertram is he called the Giants to talk about next year. Usually its been the Giants calling him (and begging I would guess LOL).

Guess it will depend on where the Hawks want him to be next year.

Besides that a lot of rumor and speculation.

My guess, 50/50 he shows up.

Triton
06-07-2006, 02:46 PM
I agree with Beaner and Langdak.Repik was an integral part of the Giants success this season and will be relied heavily upon next season with the departure of Brule.If anything the Giants will be loading up on top end players not trading them away.For Repik to do what he did this season as a rookie and a 17 year old is awesome.Usually Euros struggle till their 19 to adapt to North American style.Not Repik.He found his niche right away it seems like.Vancouver has for the most past had success with Euros.

If a trade were to ever go down with the Blades and Giants,I imagine a goalie would be involved and some picks and prospects..not current stars from a team gearing up to host the Memorial Cup.I believe the Blades will be having a fire sale next season.Molloken should be more worried about who is gonna stop the puck for the boys from the bridge City.

wango tango
06-07-2006, 03:56 PM
I am not gonna go into details here, but i must say, Wango, do you live in a cave?

Am i right after reading all this that you figure those 2 straight up is an equal trade?

Repik - potential 1st round pick in 07

Setoguchi - rental player for 1 year

I realize the blades are in trouble next year, but your fantasy trades i beleive have gone one step too far

1 - no. although the wife probably wishes there was one she could send me to occasionally. ;)

2 - yup.

3 - agreed. the key word being potential.

4 - and what a rental. a proven top offensive talent in the whl. a punishing hitter. 8th overall selection in 2005.

5 - i prefer being the underdog. i hope other teams are taking the blades as lightly as some fans and pundits seem to be.

wango tango
06-07-2006, 04:06 PM
I agree with Beaner and Langdak.Repik was an integral part of the Giants success this season and will be relied heavily upon next season with the departure of Brule.If anything the Giants will be loading up on top end players not trading them away.For Repik to do what he did this season as a rookie and a 17 year old is awesome.Usually Euros struggle till their 19 to adapt to North American style.Not Repik.He found his niche right away it seems like.Vancouver has for the most past had success with Euros.

If a trade were to ever go down with the Blades and Giants,I imagine a goalie would be involved and some picks and prospects..not current stars from a team gearing up to host the Memorial Cup.I believe the Blades will be having a fire sale next season.Molloken should be more worried about who is gonna stop the puck for the boys from the bridge City.

i have a feeling molleken has something planned to address the blades goaltending. he woudn't have dealt watt without one. the blades are not as rough in net as some believe, just inexperienced. both holtby and dyck are solid goalies and youngsters can do very well in this league. look no further than another east division team, and the wheaties tyler plante.

rinkrat
06-07-2006, 04:31 PM
1 - no. although the wife probably wishes there was one she could send me to occasionally. ;)

Now thats funny! Don't give her any ideas :D

Triton
06-07-2006, 04:40 PM
i have a feeling molleken has something planned to address the blades goaltending. he woudn't have dealt watt without one. the blades are not as rough in net as some believe, just inexperienced. both holtby and dyck are solid goalies and youngsters can do very well in this league. look no further than another east division team, and the wheaties tyler plante.

You wish you had a Plante...or even a Jory for that matter.Maybe's he's drafting a euro goalie again?

wango tango
06-07-2006, 05:08 PM
You wish you had a Plante...or even a Jory for that matter.Maybe's he's drafting a euro goalie again?

plante in saskatoon.... hmmmm. no just kidding been enough pot stirring going on. tyler is a fine goalie if he was to somehow wind up in blue and silver i wouldn't be sad. jory's ok. i don't know, other than his experience, if he would be a big upgrade over the youngsters coming in.

i guess a euro goalie is a possibility, but i don't think so.

Trav
06-07-2006, 05:35 PM
the Blades might not have to go and acquire a veteran goaltender. Look at what Armstrong did. He would've been a decent starting goaltender here had Khudobin not been here. I'm not saying now that Holtby will be the guy but since he's the top on the depth chart right now, he might do what Armstrong did and then have Carey Dyck as his backup or another 17 yr old.

dondo
06-07-2006, 06:38 PM
i like your arguments wangotango .. but i still don't agree with them ala the other guys who have been posting. I think even though you could say potential I think its far more assured than what "potential" can often mean - as you yourself said - he's a player and he is - North American style hockey all the way too :D.

All that said I don't see the Giants braintrust trading Repik at all - he's going to fill the slot that Brule leaves (even though he's not a centre). It's interesting to note that the majority of Repik's numbers were tallied before Brule returned After Gilbert came back Michal got a bit less ice-time, Kraus was injured for a time there, and he porduced points but only about a third prior to Brule coming back.

I see Michal stepping into the sniper role pretty seamlessly next season - I'd like to upgrade the centre position though as i feel Repik would be that much better with a top line centre to play with. I like Timmy, but I think we can do better (esp in a guaranteed Memorial Cup year). Or maybe even a young pup like Bouma will come up and challenge for that spot.

As the other boys said I think our bargaining chips are goalies and maybe some of of our surplus of grinders. Wouldn't be surprised to see Flatters and Scharffie held out for consideration, and possibly Lamber. I also think that with the return of Mikkelson and Regner making the jump our D could once again be one of the strongest in the dub.

SectionNDeserter
06-07-2006, 07:00 PM
4 - and what a rental. a proven top offensive talent in the whl. a punishing hitter.LOL, now we know you are just joking around. Top offensive talent yes, but I don't know if I have ever seen him within 15 feet of his own goal line.