PDA

View Full Version : Americans Obtain Gilles from Red Deer

Stay-Puft
06-05-2006, 09:59 PM
June 05, 2006
KENNEWICK, WA - The Tri-City Americans today have obtained 19-year-old right wing Tanner Gilles from the Red Deer Rebels in exchange for a conditional seventh round bantam draft pick in 2008.

The 6’3”, 210 pound Gilles is a native of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. Gilles tallied nine goals, 13 points and had 38 penalty minutes in 65 games last season for the Rebels. In two WHL season’s Gilles has played in 126 games and has 11 goals, 20 points and 55 penalty minutes.

“With the loss Friday of Keith Voytechek in the expansion draft we felt that adding another veteran forward was necessary,” said Americans governor/general manager Bob Tory. “Tanner is a big forward who has good hands. His numbers are comparable to Keith’s and this move made sense.”

“I saw Tanner play a lot as a midget in Moose Jaw and for Team Western and hope that he can regain the scoring touch he showed as a younger player,” continued Tory.

Gilles was originally a third round bantam draft pick (40th overall) by the Moose Jaw Warriors in 2002. He was also voted to the Saskatchewan Midget Hockey league second all-star team in 2004. Tanner also participated at the 2004 Canada Winter Games for Team Western.

Stay-Puft
06-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Anyone have any info on the (2) latest Red Deer acquisitions?

Hockey101
06-05-2006, 10:12 PM
In Gilles you a guy that has some speed has some good hands and can handle him self in the fighting department. All around a very good hockey player.In Smith a good soild defencmen that makes a good first pass pretty tough kid I think lost in the numbers game in Red Deer better younger players coming in.Plus he got in to some trouble down in Red Deer which I belive that is why this trade was also made.

SectionNDeserter
06-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Neither player is going to scare opponents with their offensive talents, but in Smith you get a stay-at-home defenseman with good vision and a little below average skating ability. Unlike the other Rebel departures this summer, I am a little sad to see Gillies go. He was maybe a little late in developing, and not the most talented player, but he never took a night off, and you can never have too many players like that on your team.

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Americans Obtain Gilles <------ That scared the living daylights out of me!!

I thought it ment Colton Gillies from the Blades(that was until I read the "From Red Deer" part.