PDA

View Full Version : Giants Lose Nailbiter To Calgary Hitmen

Kassian
02-10-2005, 10:27 AM

The Vancouver Giants were ahead early in the third period on Wednesday in Calgary , but the Hitmen scored twice to hand the G-Men a 3-2 loss. The road warriors out-shot their inhospitable hosts by a wide margin – 38-24 – kept up physically and definitely out-chanced them in a game that didn't open up offensively until the final frame.

20-year-old blueliner Conlan Seder scored twice for Vancouver , knotting the game at 1-1 midway through the second period and putting his team briefly ahead at the start of the third. Seder kept the puck in Calgary 's zone and then darted to the slot area to convert his fifth of the season at 10:20 of the middle frame. Rookies Jason Reese and Keith Voytechek did some fine work along the boards deep in the Hitmen zone on the goal. Seder's second of the night came while shorthanded after Adam Courchaine and Brett Festerling combined to set up the two-way defender at 2:11 of the third.

Marek Schwarz faced just nine shots through two periods and then stopped 13 of 15 in the third. Calgary defenseman Dustin Kohn beat Schwarz on a powerplay at 2:02 of the middle stanza before Carolina Hurricanes' top prospect Andrew Ladd struck twice, at 3:32 and 10:12 of the third period. 16-year-old freshman forward Ryan White picked up assists on all three Calgary goals.

Justin Pogge, acquired at the Western Hockey League trade deadline in a six-player swap with Prince George , made 36 stops for the Hitmen. The Toronto Maple Leafs' draft pick came to Calgary along with blueliner Dylan Yeo and winger Tyrel Lucas, who were also prominent in the contest.

The Giants and Hitmen were meeting for the third time this season, the previous two matchups playing out much differently. Clashing twice in November, Schwarz posted his one and only shutout of the year in a 3-0 triumph at the Pacific Coliseum, three weeks before a 7-2 Calgary pasting at the Pengrowth Saddledome.

Significant contributors to both clubs' top lines missed the game on Wednesday as Vancouver winger Matt Robinson is suffering from a cold or flu. Hitmen captain, leading scorer and Team Canada star Ryan Getzlaf has been sidelined two weeks with a concussion.

The Giants wrap up a marathon road trip that began February 2 nd when they visit Spokane on Saturday. Looking to run the table this year versus the Chiefs, Vancouver has won all three games against their US Division foe and out-scored them 13-5.

Kassian
02-10-2005, 10:30 AM
The team blew it once again. This is starting to get a little old. The Giants need to learn they can't play at home for the entire playoffs. They'd better get that through their heads fast. Otherwise it'll be a quick exit out of the first round of the playoffs.

One thing that really did piss me off last night was the ridiculous non-call by the offical. Andrew Ladd skates by the Giants bench, throws a punch (that landed) at Triston Grant while Grant is standing on the bench and there is no penalty? What the hell is that all about? Pathetic. Of course Ladd didn't try to pull something like that while Grant was on the ice. He knows better than that... :turkey:

Beaner
02-10-2005, 12:32 PM
The reffing just seems to be getting worse in this league. I believe the guy from last night was from QMJHL, so it looks like its not just a Dub problem but a whole CHL problem.

I understand these guys are learning, but the non-calls that happen to all teams when the ref is looking right at the play are getting ridiculous. How are the players supposed to know what is and isn't a penalty? Its time for the league to step up and start doing something about this. Admit there is a problem, and do something to fix it. We, the paying fans deserve that much at least, and the players deserve it even more.

I am personally sick of penalties in the 1st period not being called in the 3rd.
Linesman dont stop calling offsides and 2 line passes in the last 5 minutes and neither should the refs.

The only good thing about this reffing is that it is equally crappy throughout the entire league.

Anyway rant over.

tazndevil
02-10-2005, 01:32 PM
You guys are right. The ref sucked. Big time. The Hitmen probably got a few more calls their way, but I felt it was relatively even.

The thing that really pissed me off was the linsemen. Absolutely no consistency with icing, or offsides, etc.

Something has to be done.

SOON

It's pretty pathetic.

Taz

Kassian
02-10-2005, 02:47 PM
For the record, I'm not trying to blame the loss because of the officiating (or lack there of). The Giants consistantly blow leads while on the road and end up losing time after time. So it is their own damn fault they lost the game. I'm getting sick of it.

I just thought not calling a penalty for something like that is ridiculous. If that were to happen in the NHL there would be a multiple game suspension...

Beaner
02-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Neither am I.

The giants blew it.

I'm just sick and tired of this "officiating" in general. Its equally as bad to both teams, all games and enough is enough.

tazndevil
02-10-2005, 03:30 PM
And just for the record I knew you guys weren't blaming the official.

And I'm probably just as sick, if not more so, of the officials in this league.

Too many rookies still learning (which is fine with me), but the irritating part is the veteran refs are WORSE than the rookies.

Can someone explain how this is possible?

I don't get it.

Taz

C.F
02-11-2005, 10:01 AM
This is getting frusterated. I hate to do it, but I'm starting to point the finger at Hay. Hay is suppposed to teach and lead this team, and with playoffs looming, I'm not seeing any progress. The Giants will not get home ice advantage in the playoffs, and they have to learn how to win on the road!

Kassian
02-11-2005, 10:26 AM
I've always been a Don Hay fan and I tend to agree with you. Something isn't working right here. I still think he is a great coach and he has helped a lot of players (Grant would definitely be one) but at the same time this team should have a much better record. On paper they are a great team. In fact you could argue they are one of the best on paper. But they are so god damn inconsistant. One game you think they are the best team in the league by far. The next you wonder how they can be above .500. All I know is something better change fast. Otherwise it'll be pointless to follow this team going into the playoffs. We'll be out before we can even enjoy it. :dead:

Beaner
02-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Hmmm.

Something isnt working but is it Hay or is it the revolving door of coaches, and players that Giants have had over the 1st four years of their exsistence?

Personally I'm up for keeping the coaching staff and the team we have now intact and give them the chance to at least prove themselves. Our current lineup has been intact for what a month?

However, if a change is needed, I think the change may in fact really need to be Scott Bonner. It's time to bring someone in who is going to bring a little consistancey to the team lineup and show a little patience instead of making another trade when things are not going well for a little bit.

Even if the Giants do make a 1st round exit, which it looks like they will, I'd rather keep Don Hay around then go out, AGAIN, and get yet another new coach to bring in new systems, style of play. And with that new system will yet again result in more trades, etc. etc as they try to get the players in place who play better in that system.

I never really saw the point in getting rid of Evason, the team was improving under his direction, they almost won the 2nd round of the playoffs against Everett, and I thought anyway, the future looked very good.

inthebox4five
02-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Way too much of a revolving door with Bonner. He dumps players like yesterday's socks as soon as the team stinks a bit. Good thing the trade deadline is over, or there would have been another dozen or so more trades by now. You need to have some consistency in the dressing room for a team to have consistency on the ice. The team can't gel if you keep chaning it up.