PDA

View Full Version : Hunt for stability is over

Bran
06-06-2006, 12:59 PM
from ReginaPats.com

Hunt for stability is over

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Curtis Hunt doesn't mind being called a stay-at-home coach.

The Regina native made that abundantly clear on Monday following the official announcement that he had signed a three-year contract extension to remain as the bench boss of his hometown WHL team.

If Hunt fulfils the entire contract -- bringing his tenure in Regina to five years -- he will be the longest-serving Pats head coach since Bob Turner, who guided the team for 10 years ending in 1976.

A total of 22 head coaches have come and gone in the 30 years since Turner's retirement. Hunt is No. 23.

"I have a young family and five years in one spot for me is a big step within my family life," offered Hunt, a former WHL defenceman who has relocated 10 times in the past 10 years. "It's easy to say now but, if three years from now (management) feels they like where we're going, I would probably do the same thing I did today."

Hunt's agreement was announced in conjunction with long-term extensions for the rest of the team's hockey staff, a group which also includes assistant coach Terry Perkins, director of scouting Todd Ripplinger and athletic therapist/trainer Greg Mayer.

The three-year deals, reported in Thursday's Leader-Post, give Regina the kind of organizational stability which Russ Parker has been seeking since he purchased the team in 1995.

"For me it's so important," offered Parker. "We've been in situations where I haven't been able to sleep at night knowing some of the things that happened in the past (with former coaches). I couldn't be more comfortable with these individuals because they're good people. They treat our young hockey players like they were their own and that's very important for me personally."

Brent Parker agreed.

"Two years ago when we hired Curtis, there were a lot of questions and concerns as to how unified we were as an organization," noted the veteran GM. "There were rumours of infighting and arguing and disagreements and to some extent a lot of that was true. To get a group that's all on the same page and committed to a common goal, I don't think you could state enough how important that is."

Although all four individuals were under contract for one more season, Parker said there was no reason to delay negotiations. He wanted to avoid putting the staff through a lame-duck scenario which can often have an adverse affect on a team.

"We didn't want them going through this year looking over their shoulders," Parker said. "The same with the scouting department. Todd can go out and continue looking for players knowing we're still looking for the same things. It allows them to be better at their jobs because they do have that security."

Hunt is Regina's sixth head coach in the 11 seasons since the Parkers bought the team. Bob Lowes lasted the longest of the other five (three years) before his contract wasn't renewed in 2004. The same fate befell Tim Tisdale in 2000 after one-plus season. His predecessor, Parry Shockey, was fired early in the 1998-99 campaign. Rich Preston (two seasons from 1995 to '97) and Lorne Molleken (2000-01) left for jobs in the NHL.

Hunt is also the first head coach to receive a long-term contract extension from the Parkers, who consider the offering a justified reward. It was under Hunt's watch that Regina engineered the biggest turnaround in franchise history, going from a league-worst 12 wins in 2004-05 to 40 in '05-06.

"In terms of negotiating, there really wasn't any," the head coach explained. "There's no grey area with Brent. We sat down and 'Here it is!' It was a very nice surprise, all of it. Because I work so closely with Terry and Greg, the fact that Brent extended that same courtesy or opportunity to them -- and the fact that both of them without hesitation jumped on board -- it shows the direction we're going. We all want to be part of a winner."

nivek_wahs
06-07-2006, 06:44 AM
Hunt's agreement was announced in conjunction with long-term extensions for the rest of the team's hockey staff, a group which also includes assistant coach Terry Perkins, director of scouting Todd Ripplinger and athletic therapist/trainer Greg Mayer.

I think that this is a great move to secure the stablity of the Pats as a whole. Consistent coaches and staff make life easier for the players young and old... no new coaching philosophies or new systems. Everyone is on the same page (GM, coaches, players) :thumb: .

Great move by Brent Parker in signing the staff for the next few years and gives them a chance to mold the Pats into a contender (I hope :D ).

I am waiting to be ripped to shreds due to my 2nd paragraph :p .