PDA

View Full Version : Euro Draft

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
This is the same poll that is on the Blades website,but remember: some of the people that visit the website do not post here,but voted in the poll.

So I would like to get a WHLfans perspective on this situation,so cast your vote before it is too late!!

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Maybe Molleken will draft a European goalie,it is always a possibilty,In all seriousness, I think the Blades will draft a Euro forward and defencemen.

What does everyone else think?

Trav
06-07-2006, 10:05 PM
they dont draft a euro goaltender. Let the goaltenders in their system develop.
My thoughts are that the Blades will trade Barnes and Logan and they'll keep Rabbit, Schulz and Cole as overagers. The Blades could then use their two euro picks on two euros that can hopefully be on the top two lines. They'd get more for Barnes then they would for Cole so they should deal him. That's what I'd do.

nivek_wahs
06-08-2006, 05:08 AM
No matter what Molleken does the Euro Draft is always such a gamble. One year (or pick) you get a gem the next year (or pick) you get a complete dud.

The best thing for Molleken to do would be draft what he deems necessary in order to make his team better.

He most likely won't pick a goalie in the draft due to the young guys coming up (Holtby) and the fact that there is quite a few qulaity tenders already in the Dub that could be had for a fair price.

My guess is that with his first pick he will pick a forward that has some scoring touch (according to scouts that have seen him play) and maybe take a shot at an older defenceman. I would say that both of his picks will be 18 or 19 years old, neither one will be a "project."

But what do I know? :laugh:

wango tango
06-08-2006, 01:51 PM
No matter what Molleken does the Euro Draft is always such a gamble. One year (or pick) you get a gem the next year (or pick) you get a complete dud.

The best thing for Molleken to do would be draft what he deems necessary in order to make his team better.

He most likely won't pick a goalie in the draft due to the young guys coming up (Holtby) and the fact that there is quite a few qulaity tenders already in the Dub that could be had for a fair price.

My guess is that with his first pick he will pick a forward that has some scoring touch (according to scouts that have seen him play) and maybe take a shot at an older defenceman. I would say that both of his picks will be 18 or 19 years old, neither one will be a "project."

But what do I know? :laugh:

i don't think you're far off. a skilled forward with offensive punch would definately help. with their second pick maybe they'll take a flyer on somebody, or go with the ever popular best player available.

i think they'll go younger if possible, as the better 18 or 19 year old euros will go earlier in the draft. some top shelf 17 or younger guys might be available, you're running the risk of them not coming right away though unless you've had the opportunity to see them or their agents directly.

i wonder how many russians will be selected as they have yet to sign the international player transfer agreement.

SectionNDeserter
06-08-2006, 01:56 PM
i wonder how many russians will be selected as they have yet to sign the international player transfer agreement.Probably as few as ever. It is always hard to pry them out of Russia, International Player Transfer agreement or not. :(

nivek_wahs
06-09-2006, 02:30 AM
i wonder how many russians will be selected as they have yet to sign the international player transfer agreement.Correct me if I'm wrong here... There were only 3 Russians in the WHL last year Tesliuk (Kamloops), Tolpeko (Regina) & Khudobin (Saskatoon). So I would agree with SectionNDeserter and have to say that there will be a very few selected (if any in the Euro Draft).

There has been a trend for WHL teams to select mostly Czech or Slovak born players so I would guess the trend will continue. But what do I know :D ?

dondo
06-09-2006, 01:34 PM
well why select a Russian player who might not report or report with reservations and strings attached. I'd much rather draft a Euro who wants to play here, who's not in it for the (eventual) money and whose International Country of Origin's Hockey agreement is reasonable.

Why do you think there were ZERO Russians drafted in the first round at last years NHL draft (other than the players not being potential superstars). Most of the players (like Malkin etc) make more money playing less competitive hockey in Russia and they are less grateful to play for the NHL - so they stay in Russia as long as they can.

Beaner
06-09-2006, 02:01 PM
well why select a Russian player who might not report or report with reservations and strings attached. I'd much rather draft a Euro who wants to play here, who's not in it for the (eventual) money and whose International Country of Origin's Hockey agreement is reasonable.

Why do you think there were ZERO Russians drafted in the first round at last years NHL draft (other than the players not being potential superstars). Most of the players (like Malkin etc) make more money playing less competitive hockey in Russia and they are less grateful to play for the NHL - so they stay in Russia as long as they can.

Looks like the Russians have agreed to the NHL transfer agreements. So the russian problems may be gone.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=168310&hubname=nhl