PDA

View Full Version : Sutter patriarch passes away at 73

Tinner
02-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Very Sad, My deepest sympathies to the family and all of those who he blessed with his knowledge and inspiration.

Sutter patriarch passes away at 73
TSN.ca Staff
2/10/2005

Louis John Sutter, the father of six NHLers, passed away Thursday morning at a hospital in Viking, Alberta.

Sutter had a prolonged illness before passing at 73 years of age.

Funeral services are scheduled for Tuesday, February 15th at 2:00 p.m. in Viking. Further details concerning the location of the services will be forthcoming.

"All of Alberta and the hockey world understand the impact that Mr. Sutter and his family have had on our game and in our communities," said Ken King, president and CEO of the Calgary Flames. "Mr. Sutter instilled strong values, strong character and strong work ethic in his sons. We extend our sympathies to Mrs. Grace Sutter, her sons and their families on the loss of Mr. Sutter."

Six of Sutter's seven sons played in the NHL: Brian, Darryl, Duane, Brent, Rich and Ron. Brian is currently the head coach of the Chicago Blackhawks, while Darryl coaches the Calgary Flames. brent owns the WHL's Red Deer Rebels and recently coached Team Canada to a World Junior Hockey Championship.

The oldest Sutter brother, Gary, was the only one never to play in the NHL.

Brian Sutter's son, Shaun, was recently drafted by the Flames.

All told, the Sutters played in 4,836 NHL regular-season games and 585 Stanley Cup playoff games. They scored a total of 1,433 goals, and added 1,633 assists for 3,066 points. They also totalled 7,224 penalty minutes.

Thoughts from myself;

Firstly, My deepest sympathies to the family. I know they are very close.

I first met Mr. Sutter 30 years ago (or more) when I played softball with Brian. We met a number of times later as I played on the same Rustler team as Daryl and many times in Lethbridge when my brother played with Rich and Ron. We had occasionally met in the last few years when he was in Red Deer on visits. He was one of the proudest fathers you could ever meet, and never once made you feel anything less than a good old friend.

Rebels_chick
02-10-2005, 02:04 PM
My deepest sympathies go out to the Sutter family.
This is very sad news.

Red celtic
02-10-2005, 02:53 PM
I am so sorry to hear of this loss for the Sutter family you are in are prayers.

RDRebelsfan
02-10-2005, 07:01 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Sutter family

Hitmen1
02-10-2005, 10:10 PM
A sad day for the Sutters. My deepest sympathy to the family.