PDA

View Full Version : Best Website

hockey4
06-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Of the teams you've visited in the league, who has the best overall site. I mean in terms of content and design. I know some guys who helped develope regina's and saskatoon's, and they say that red deers is great. Im not sure who updates red deers but they sure manage tohave a new story every day

dondo
06-10-2006, 01:45 AM
well frankly the Giants is one of the worst, no archives, and sporadic writing usually not up until the next day from a game the night before. Seems to be just a site for marketing and it does a pretty poor job of that as well.

I love the team, but the official site is an embarassment and the Giants for such a classy organization, willing to put money into the team and the market, are missing a huge opportunity to do it up right. Hopefully with the Memorial Cup being here they'll revamp their site and stop using cookie-cutter programming/templates and actually put some thought and effort and possibly even have some sort of reliable web-presence with archives and history etc etc.

Flathead
06-10-2006, 12:29 PM
The Broncos have all that you can in a web site, it just sometimes doesn't get updated and other times it's right on top of things. Overall I think it's a very decent site.

Triton
06-10-2006, 01:30 PM
I really like what Brandon has done with their site,and the features they provide.

The Raiders have the worst site.Rarely gets updated and when it does get updated it's already like 5 days after whatever event happened.

grainbear
06-10-2006, 05:03 PM
I think that Tri-Cities and Brandon are among the best, In terms of news no one seems to be better than Tri-Cities. Things that I do like in some of the sites are the updates on top prospects,

Beaner
06-10-2006, 05:41 PM
The Bruins site is very good and is constantly being updated. Tied for top place IMHO.

The Giants site has to be the worst. No info, no history no past news on it. If you miss the recap of the game then you are SOL.

It is quite frankly an embarassment.

rinkrat
06-10-2006, 08:03 PM
I like the AMS website,especially the list of players in the system.

dj-kris
06-28-2006, 10:20 PM
i like sites that have video and pictures wallpapers you know stuff for the fans not just info

Hatguy
06-29-2006, 11:43 AM
I find Red Deer and Brandon's webpages to be among the best in the league. I'd say Prince Albert's and Moose Jaw's are the worst.

Triton
06-29-2006, 11:45 AM
I find Red Deer and Brandon's webpages to be among the best in the league. I'd say Prince Albert's and Moose Jaw's are the worst.

I agree with your selections.P.A just updated their page this morning..while the import draft was yesterday.If you know your franchise is involved in something big such as the bantam draft or import draft..be ready to be sitting beside the computer updating it.Who ever runs the P.A page,get bent already.

section q
06-29-2006, 12:52 PM
The Red Deer Rebels site has to be considered the best in the league. It is easy to navigate through and their is a ton of great information. Their alumni page, the fanzone section and the fact that a new story is put on the site almost daily make it great to visit. It has photo galleries and some great audio. I also like the fact that the banner changes when you go to a different page. Lately, they have had a Cam Ward banner and for good reason, but during the season the banner changed. Brandon has a pretty good webpage too. Lots of information and easy to navigate through.

The worst pages in the league have to be the moose jaw warriors and the saskatoon blades.

dondo
06-29-2006, 07:29 PM
oh no I think not .. go here

http://www.vancouvergiants.com/home.htm

and can you post a link to the Rebels site?

Rebels30
06-29-2006, 08:17 PM
http://www.reddeerrebels.com/ ... it is the best :thumb: haha

Triton
06-29-2006, 10:04 PM
www.wheatkings.com is a pretty decent WHL site.

Bran
07-05-2006, 12:36 PM
I know the Warriors site is pretty bad...I find it a little annoying that their roster is a link to the roster on the WHL site. I haven't looked at the Blades site lately but it used to be pretty bad...mind you I didn't have much of a chance to really look at it because it constantly froze my dinosaur of a computer. I haven't looked at Calgary's lately but it was pretty much the same for years...I found it very hard to cath the news on the scrolling dealy...when I found a story I wanted to read, by the time I clicked, it had moved on and I ended up reading a different story. Vancouver's has to be the worst though. There is very little on it to begin with, but the fact that they don't have archives drives me nuts...at least go back a week. The Pats site isn't bad. There uesd to be more on there (extras like wallpapers, screen savers, etc and a decent gallery.) Some links are there and haven't been updated (like their community events page...which, if used, is a great thing. They had pictures from past events and listings of upcoming events.) As far as news/press releases, things like that...it's updated regularly. That's probably the thing they're best at...if you want news, it's there. They used to have extensive archives going back a couple of seasons. I'm not sure if they still go that far back, but you can definately find anything you may have missed from the current season.

RDRebelsfan
07-16-2006, 08:18 PM
the Rebs DID have the best site, until someone hacked it.

Coyote14
07-27-2006, 07:36 PM
I think Brandon and Everett have the best sites, while Vancouver and Lethbridge have the worst. This is mainly from a design point of view, but I agree that the content on Vancouver's is terrible.

juniorgiant
07-28-2006, 11:09 AM
sad but true;design and content (quantity and quality) are dreadful. and i'm a huge giants fan!

neutral
08-04-2006, 08:48 AM
These rankings are based on timing of updates, articles, archives, stats, team updates, player profiles, prospects, drafts, alumni, links, tickets, merchandise, sponsors, polls, ease of use, appearance, content, schedules, and the catch all other comments.

The best (In no order. Well maybe this top group is in order)
Brandon, Red Deer, Everett

Close but not quite (I am sure people will disagree with these 3, but being new to the league, I like them)
Kelowna, Lethbridge, Seattle

Pretty Average
Calgary, Kamloops, Portland, Regina, Tri-city, Chilliwack, Pr Albert (unknown, new site)

Need Work
Vancouver, Moose Jaw, Saskatoon, Medicine Hat, Pr George, Spokane

Pull the Plug
Swift Current, Kootenay (Ice could justify a ranking below Pull the Plug)

SectionNDeserter
08-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Pr Albert (unknown, new site)This is the Raider's first site?

Triton
08-04-2006, 10:42 AM
This is the Raider's first site?

Right now the Raiders site is under construction.I guess we'll wait and see what it looks like in a couple of weeks.But the one they had prior to construction was terrible.

Triton
08-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Rating of 21 site....

Excellent
Brandon,Red Deer,Tri Cities

Good
Everett,Chilliwack,Regina,Seattle

average
Portland,Swift Current,Kelowna,Medicine Hat,Calgary,Kamloops,P.G

Poor
Prince Albert,Spokane,Lethbridge,Kootneay,Saskatoon,Vanco uver,Moose Jaw

dondo
08-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Rating of 21 site....

Excellent
Brandon,Red Deer,Tri Cities

Good
Everett,Chilliwack,Regina,Seattle

average
Portland,Swift Current,Kelowna,Medicine Hat,Calgary,Kamloops,P.G

Poor
Prince Albert,Spokane,Lethbridge,Kootneay,Saskatoon,Moose Jaw

Utter Crap
Vancouver

^ that's more along the right lines :thumb:

SectionNDeserter
08-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Right now the Raiders site is under construction.I guess we'll wait and see what it looks like in a couple of weeks.But the one they had prior to construction was terrible.Must have been pretty bad to put up that page with the brutal flash animation on it instead of just leaving the old site up till it was ready to publish.

Triton
08-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Must have been pretty bad to put up that page with the brutal flash animation on it instead of just leaving the old site up till it was ready to publish.

The flash they have right now on it is better than the site they did have running.Seems to be updated more..LOL

westbeach55
08-05-2006, 01:49 AM
the contract was up for the old raider site so they had to throw up something for now. im looking forward for the music downloads

d-man
08-05-2006, 10:42 AM
As fans what are we looking for in a team's website?

Myself I want to see daily updates - not just press releases from the team but articles and stories from each teams representing newspaper, info on list players - who are they, where are they playing, how their season is going...

dondo
08-05-2006, 04:56 PM
I want historical archives. I want game recaps to be able to read and archived so that I don't have to read them the next day. I would like a decent breakdown of talent/rosters including some of our up and coming prospects. I want consistent news tidbits which are also archived. Updated on a regular basis.

I don't need flash or fancy bells and whistles, but I do look to seeing all the info I could possibly want concerning the team (including accessible, downloadable/copyable pictures of the players in action and simply headshots) to be available to the fan-base. This is not so much to ask. maybe we can get the same guy the Chilliwack Bruins got for their site which looks to be fairly well-organized and has valuable information - esp in our Memorial Cup hosting year.

The Vancouver Giant website frankly has none of the above and it boggles my mind that such a well run franchise that seems to have the pulse of the community - can't put together a website which isn't nigh useless and has information important to the fans.

I'm not sure how to address this though - as e-mails, etc fall on deaf ears/blind eyes. And the owners and management are paranoid about any web presence. Makes no sense to me. Even trying to order tickets, or find links on the site is beyond irritating to do.

Hopefully the PA site ends up being better and becomes a resource for fans as opposed to a one page adverstisement poorly laid out and mindlessly put together like the Giants web-site.