PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer Resigns

nivek_wahs
06-13-2006, 08:36 PM
from spokanechiefs.com

Sawyer Resigns

The Spokane Chiefs have announced today that Assistant Coach Kevin Sawyer has resigned his position due to issues unrelated to hockey. Sawyer was the Chiefs assistant for the past two years.

”I want to be there for my family more than this position will allow me to be,” Sawyer said. “Coaching is a very demanding position and I know first hand how much time I need to commit. With my family demands I know I can’t be as committed as I have to be to help the organization be successful.”

“It is particularly difficult to leave the Chiefs at this time because I feel confident that this team, with our group of returning players and with Bill and Tim’s leadership, is headed in the right direction,” Sawyer continued.

“It was very rewarding for me and our organization to have Kevin as a player and a coach,” Chiefs General Manager Tim Speltz said. “There are very few people I respect as much as Kevin Sawyer. I consider him a good friend and respect his decision.”

“I understand the decision Kevin has made,” Chiefs Head Coach Bill Peters said. “I know it was a hard choice to make but it shows the quality of the individual. I truly believe Kevin will be back in the game when the timing is right.”

“The Spokane Chiefs are a big part of who I have become as a person,” Sawyer said. “From playing, to turning pro, to becoming a coach, the Chiefs family has helped me achieve my dreams. I will always be proud to be a Chief.”

The 32-year-old Sawyer re-joined the Chiefs organization in 2004 as an Assistant Coach and became the first former player to return to Spokane and take on a full-time coaching position. Sawyer played in Spokane from 1992-95 and served as team captain in the organization’s final season in the “Boone Street Barn” in 1994-95. Originally from Christina Lake, British Columbia, Sawyer owns the franchise record for career penalty minutes with 989 in 176 games.

Of Sawyer’s 110 career games in the National Hockey League, 97 were played with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks from 2000 to 2003. In 2001-02, Sawyer played a career high 57 games and finished fourth in the NHL with 221 penalty minutes. The following year of 2002-03, his last in the NHL, Sawyer played 31 games and posted 115 penalty minutes. Overall, Sawyer played eight years of professional hockey.

The Chiefs will begin the process to fill the position of Assistant Coach immediately.