PDA

View Full Version : Guardian Angels to expand to Saskatchewan?

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-15-2006, 10:01 PM
There has been disscussion on the news that another chapter of the security/safety promoting group with Chapters all across the world(they originated in New York City),and are planning to come to Saskatchwan(Regina and Saskatoon to be percise)

If you have not heard about this group you can find out more information and

here is the link to their website:www.guardianangels.org

there are even news stories about the group expanding to Saskatoon and Regina.

I think it would be a good idea because they would patrol the streets to help combat the crime ect and work with the police.(or at least that is what was said on the news)

here is a link to an article about the group talking about expanding to Toronto(but they were not excepted) but went to Alberta and continued disscussion about helping out there. http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060508/guardian_angels_060507/20060508/

Number_4
06-16-2006, 11:55 AM
I dont know about Saskatoon, but I dont think Regina really really needs their help. I know that in Calgary, when they first announced that they were looking to expand there, that there was a lot of concern from everyone involved. I would say that for every one person that wanted them there, there were two that didnt. The major concern that some brought up would be an unfair targeting of the homeless. I cant remember everything that was brought up in Calgary, perhaps someone from there can add input on that situation.

They depend on support from the police staff. Im not too sure if the RPS would be willing to lend that support. Its a lot to think about. And there is a really big big difference between NY and Regina, Sask. lol. I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but I dont see them being able to settle down here. And I am not going to deny that there is crime on Regina's streets, I wonder if they are planning to patrol the downtown buisness core, or the core areas that need the extra help more....

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-16-2006, 12:32 PM
I think that they would patrol the neighbourhoods that need help,and maybe the downtown area.

I think that it would be very benifital to Saskatoon.

Maybe someone from Calgary,Vancouver,and Portland can tell us what it has done for those cities? Does it help?

Beaner
06-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Well, I don't even know if Vancouver has a local chapter of the Guardian Angels here in Vancouver.

If they do I have never seen them.

HAF
06-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Heres what I found. It seems Portland has once again formed a chapter there. I just have mixed emotions about the whole deal. I think its great they are deterring street crime to some extent but who do they think they are? It says they have training in self defense and martial arts but it doesnt say anything about any experience or qualifications in law enforcement.

Heres the artical

http://www.wweek.com/story.php?story=6373

rinkrat
06-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Maybe they could get a police helicopter and buzz the downtown area like they do in Kelowna.I guess people like to live in a police state,but it sure turned me off when I was visiting there!I really don't think its effective either.Get the cops off their asses and out into the community,just like the "old days"

Number_4
06-16-2006, 03:37 PM
....but who do they think they are? It says they have training in self defense and martial arts but it doesnt say anything about any experience or qualifications in law enforcement.

They are not qualified in law enforcement. I dont even think that they are armed, really. While police and RCMP have to take classes, usually have some sort of criminal justice certificate or diploma, and undergo strenuous training, these poeple are just trained in self defense. I think they also get some training in talking their way out of things, but overall they are nothing like the police. And most have no prior experience. Im not sure about how they are picked, but I can just imagine the abuse of power that can take place.

What scares me is that they basically target street crime; drugs, fights, etc. That kind of stuff is better off left to the police. Its dangerous, and has the potential to turn very violent, very quickly. I also would want to know how the aboriginal community in Regina is feeling about this. Just given the target areas, they are primarily Aboriginal communities... I have to wonder if they wouldnt feel unfairly targeted, considering everything.

We'll have to see... I just dont know if its doable in Regina...

saskdevil
07-03-2006, 12:47 PM
I think it would help in saskatoon, Too many people here aren't interested in participating in community patrols. Heck some areas of the city people don't even know who is living next to them ! Unfortunately the only thing that most of these punks(ones causing trouble)understand is violence. I'm not condoning using this tactic but if the Guardian Angels even have a presence in the neighborhoods it may help to eliminate alot of the junk these kids cause. Who wouldn't want someone patrolling your neighborhood while you're at work all day? It might prevent a B&E on your home. The police are hiring new officers all the time here (when the city says they can afford it!) but all the new recruits are just replacing retired officers and one that move to another city so we are no further ahead. Sorry about my rant, I'm just tired of all the B.S. the punks in this city are getting away with! :burningma