PDA

View Full Version : Flawed Playoff format, or is it?

Willis on the Welfare
02-10-2005, 04:21 PM
The Regina Pats and the Moose Jaw Warriors. Two teams based out of cities within 2 and a half hours of Swift Current. One team is winless in 15, the other started the season with 20+ straight losses, and one of those inept rosters will skate in the post season while the Broncos likely will not. The Brandon Wheat Kings have clinched an East division playoff spot with 64 points. Red Deer has 64 points, good for fourth in the Central. One could make an argument that Swift Current is getting shafted by a flawed playoff format.

I disagree.

The Broncos are getting shafted, our sense making city of Swift Current is getting what it deserves. Our players have played hard for the most part. They're waiting tables at BP's and driving to Kincaid to skate with the kids, listening to us whine and doing the right PR things too.

What have we as fans done? We wanted a change in coach and GM. We got it. We wanted the partiers who violated curfew and dogged it on the ice out of here. We got it. We wanted hard working players who give 100%. As of the trade deadline we got it. We wanted a contender that won't bow out in the first round and get straight to summer holidays. In a year or two we'll get that.

We have a coach who holds himself accountable to the fans, who acctually listens to our opinions. Dean will stand in front of a room full of people and listen to us ***** about how bad our Euros are or whatever else we have to say. Our coach is reading this and our other posts right now trying to learn how to please us fans.

How do we repay all the Broncos have done for us?

1200 fans.

We as fans have been spoiled. Remember the playoffs three years ago when there was deafening "Harvey Sucks" chant in our own building from the Tiger fans and none of us did a damn thing!!! We as fans need this adversity. It will make us appreciate the Broncos more. Look at how passionate Rider fans are. Look at how rabid Tiger fans are after four years of playoff no shows. After years of adversity look what the city of Calgary did during the Flames run.

As far as the players go, please keep up the effort. We appreciate a hard fought game. In a couple years we won't just have a great team, we'll have a rockin' barn too.

I'm glad we won't make the post season. We as fans deserve it, and it will make this a better hockey town. Trust me.

grumphy
02-10-2005, 04:35 PM
There were a lot of years our Tigs missed the play offs with more points than teams in the east, it happened to Lethbridge last year, it's just the nature of the beast. Probably why two central teams usally are competing for the division title the last few years--------I like the present system even though it seems unfair at times.
I also agree with you other comments, in jounior we can usally count on a complete rebuilding year every four or five years. Swift ran one hell of a string without missing the playoffs, be patient and enjoy the good times when they return.