PDA

View Full Version : Wishart's name should come early

Sput
06-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Courtesy of the PG Citizen, Friday June 24.

Wishart’s name should be heard early.

by JIM SWANSON Citizen Sports Editor

If Ty Wishart’s hockey career doesn’t pan out, perhaps a future as a philosopher awaits.

Wishart, projected as a likely first-round NHL draft pick in the proceedings set for Saturday in Vancouver, was part of the scouting combine in Toronto a month ago. Included in that trip was an intense fitness and strength testing session, along with interviews by NHL clubs — all but Dallas, Colorado, Edmonton, Carolina and Ottawa fired questions at the 18-year-old Prince George Cougars defenceman.

The strangest interview question was this: “What do you fear?”

Wishart’s reply: “Nothing, because fear is either something of the past or the future, and neither of those exist.”

Socrates on skates.

“They were pretty impressed with that answer,” laughed Wishart, pegged as the top-ranked WHL defenceman in the draft, according to many scouting services.

Wishart also spent part of some interviews acting as an advocate for teammate Eric Hunter, who is back in the draft after the Chicago Blackhawks failed to tender a qualifying offer last July. Hunter, a 20-year-old if he returns for a fifth season as a Cougar, will end up the property of some team on the weekend, the question being who jumps first at securing the feisty 40-goal scorer.

“I had a few questions about him from teams during the interviews, and I did what I could to help him out,” said Wishart, who flew from his home in Comox to Vancouver on Thursday.

“All my meetings went well, and the fitness testing went better than I expected. I was happy with the whole weekend.”

That Wishart is a first-round candidate is no surprise to those who have watched him closely over his two seasons as a Cougar. His skating is effortless, even with a six-foot-five frame, and his defensive abilities have Team Canada scouts squarely in his corner. Wishart was named captain for the under-18 squad in the spring world championship, his leadership abilities put to the ultimate test.

In fact, Wishart’s abilities already have people forgetting he was just 17 this past season, when injuries depleted the Prince George blueline and forced Wishart to sponge more than 30 minutes of icetime most nights in the second half of the regular season plus five playoff games.

“I think it helped out that I got the opportunity to wear the ‘C’ over there, and it helped out for sure that I got so much icetime as a 17-year-old,” said Wishart, who had five goals, 37 points and a plus-12 (second on the club) plus-minus.

“Did it affect my play a little? Maybe I was a little fatigued at times, but I tried to do the best I could and tried to help those around me play better. You have to grow up fast in this game. I set my expectations high, and the coaches were really supportive.”

His play has evoked some heady comparisons from scouts — names like Eric Brewer and Chris Pronger drop frequently. Wishart has heard that talk.

“I feel honoured to be mentioned as having the potential to be that good,” said Wishart, who said he doesn’t have a favourite NHL team that would fulfill a boyhood dream.

“It’s exciting, especially to hear a name like Pronger’s. He’s amazing. I’d love to be a first-round pick, but it doesn’t matter who you’re drafted by. You still have to work your butt off to make it. Hopefully I go first round, but if I don’t, it won’t be that big of a concern.”

Wishart, who is represented by Jason Taylor of Newport Sports Management, the same firm that handles Brewer’s affairs, has set a goal of being stronger, both physically and mentally, when training camp starts in August.

“I want to work on my intensity, be more intense from start to finish and not take any shifts off,” said Wishart.

“I want to have better footspeed, but I want to put on a couple pounds and be stronger, that’s for sure, so I can be more physical. There were times I was trying to be too cute with my passes, rather than making hard first-passes. I was fatigued, but I’m not making any excuses.”

Wishart got a pre-draft boost on Thursday when his name appeared on the national junior team’s summer evaluation camp roster, the lone Cougars player to make the grade.

The Team Canada camp goes July 23-28 in Calgary. The complete camp roster is on page 10.