PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Grabner

rinkrat
06-24-2006, 08:40 PM
It seemed like the Canucks wanted him all along.I think he will be a star in the NHL.Great choice by the Canucks(for once)

Jimmypop316
06-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Gives you Giants fans more reasons to be excited about the Chiefs games since he's going to be up there in a couple years ;).

I'm glad he'll be around this area, and if he continues to improve his game hes going to do pretty well in the NHL.

LifelongChiefsFan
06-25-2006, 02:52 AM
I'm glad to see someone pick him so high, I really didn't expect him to be gone that soon. Kind of reminds me of Setoguchi going 8th (I think it was eigth) last year to San Jose. Anyway, if Grabner continues to improve his play like he did the second half of last year, I think he could definitely be NHL material. We'll see how it works out but if he does make it with Vancouver, I might have to plan a road trip up there and catch a couple Canuck games...but that's a few years down the road. :thumb:

rinkrat
06-25-2006, 09:58 AM
I might have to plan a road trip up there and catch a couple Canuck games...but that's a few years down the road. :thumb:

That will give you time to save up for those over priced tickets.lol :spineyes:

Jimmypop316
06-25-2006, 02:10 PM
That will give you time to save up for those over priced tickets.lol :spineyes:
haha exactly!

Dwight Schrute
06-25-2006, 04:20 PM
ok folks i am a huge ! canuck fan. and what i had seen of grabner i wasnt impressed. but iwhen i heard about how he lit it up at the last half of the year i started to understand. what are his strength's and weaknesses ? is there any info on him ? is he big enough to drive to the net ? is marek svatos a good comparison ? did he have a hard time adjusting last year ? is that why he didnt score much ?

LifelongChiefsFan
06-26-2006, 02:09 AM
ok folks i am a huge ! canuck fan. and what i had seen of grabner i wasnt impressed. but iwhen i heard about how he lit it up at the last half of the year i started to understand. what are his strength's and weaknesses ? is there any info on him ? is he big enough to drive to the net ? is marek svatos a good comparison ? did he have a hard time adjusting last year ? is that why he didnt score much ?

Looking at his first year and a half on the team, there wasn't much to be too impressed about. He had flashes but never completely put it together. Some of that can be attributed to his linemates I believe, but some of it also had to do with him adjusting to the WHL's style of play.

I think the best part of his game is his vision. He's not super fast but definitley not slow. He has a good quick wrist shot and he was very good at anticipating not only his teammates moves, but the defenders' moves too especially towards the end of the year. Thus he was able to find free space and get good scoring chances. He's not a huge player, but he would drive to the net every so often. This year is really going to tell if he is really a bonafide NHL prospect. I'd love to see him hit 50 goals, I know he can do it if he stays healthy. It should be fun to watch. As for the Svatos comparisson, I never got to see him very much so I really can't say if they are similar at all.

dondo
06-26-2006, 06:18 PM
I think the best part of his game is his vision. He's not super fast but definitley not slow.

Funny, 'cause according to scouts and prognosticators he is probably one the fastest skaters in the draft

scrunt
06-26-2006, 07:40 PM
I still haven't convinced myself that he was the best pick for the Canucks, but the more I read about Grabner the more I want to see him in a Giants uniform.

With the loss of Brule to the NHL for sure next season the G-men will be seriously in need of someone with some finish around the net. Grabner's lack of defensive responsibility would soon be taken care of by Don Hay and the team-first philosophy that is now deeply embedded in the team's psyche. Would be a shame to lose Bliznak to make room for another import, though, but I could live with that ;)

Jimmypop316
06-26-2006, 09:55 PM
I still haven't convinced myself that he was the best pick for the Canucks, but the more I read about Grabner the more I want to see him in a Giants uniform.

With the loss of Brule to the NHL for sure next season the G-men will be seriously in need of someone with some finish around the net. Grabner's lack of defensive responsibility would soon be taken care of by Don Hay and the team-first philosophy that is now deeply embedded in the team's psyche. Would be a shame to lose Bliznak to make room for another import, though, but I could live with that ;)

No way the Chiefs will consider trading him, unless they are out of the Playoff picture come trading deadline, and there is way too much on the line for the Chiefs to trade away the team like they did this year. They will be the team trading away the youth for established WHL players come deadline time.

So keep dreaming my friend.

dondo
06-26-2006, 10:02 PM
we will .. but maybe after getting a taste of the big city he won't want to go back to Spokane ;)

j/k of course - I believe that the league needs players to play for all markets to create a more exciting product on the ice, and keep the level of competition across the whole league and not just pockets.

I'm kinda disappointed that the Hitmen ended up getting Hanzel in the end as that just fuels the agents getting their players to hold out for a team they choose - which completely sucks imo.

LifelongChiefsFan
06-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Funny, 'cause according to scouts and prognosticators he is probably one the fastest skaters in the draft

Hmmm, I'm curious who said that. I haven't had a chance to read what all the scouts have had to say, but Grabner isn't even the fastest skater on the Chiefs, so I wouldn't think that he would be one of the fastest skaters in the draft. Who knows though, maybe the Chiefs just have speedy skaters :thumb:

dondo
06-27-2006, 12:55 AM
this is from TSN

TSN.CA) - The Vancouver Canucks picked Austrian winger Michael Grabner with the 14th overall selection in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft on Saturday.

The last Austrian player drafted high was Thomas Vanek in 2003 (5th).

Grabner is a highly skilled offensive player who just might be a good fit in the new NHL. he scored 36 goals in 67 games with the Spokane Chiefs last season. Canucks general manager Dave Nonis said the changes to the NHL game improved Grabner's stock.

"We feel the game has changed even in the last 12 months," Nonis said. "Foot speed is as important has it's ever been.

"Michael is the type of player that when he sees an opening, he can easily get through it. He has great speed and is a great finisher."

"My kind of style is what the NHL is about, speed and skills," said Grabner. "I think that's why I went higher. My game is to score goals and drive the net."

The International Scouting Service says, "Grabner is a scorer with high-end offensive skill. Needs to develop more of a consistent game. At times is invisible then will get the puck and score a highlight reel goal. A tremendous nose for the net, scoring 36 goals in 67 games. Has an accurate shot, to go along with a very quick release."

Bob McKenzie's take: "This guy is all about offence, an interesting pick by the Canucks, who must have guessed he was going to go this high."

I can't find an article that said one of the fastest players in the draft, but I did hear them say that when the various sports analysts were analysing the draft picks.

LifelongChiefsFan
07-01-2006, 03:06 AM
this is from TSN

I can't find an article that said one of the fastest players in the draft, but I did hear them say that when the various sports analysts were analysing the draft picks.

Cool, hey thanks for the link. Perhaps I just overlooked how fast he was last year. I'll definitely look for that the first few games this year and see if he proves me wrong. :clown: :o

dondo
07-01-2006, 10:08 AM
not a problem... keep us posted as to his progress... I'm curious to see if he elveates his game over the next couple of years.

rezstyle
07-10-2006, 04:36 PM
not a problem... keep us posted as to his progress... I'm curious to see if he elveates his game over the next couple of years.

Sorry for the late reply, but I'm outta the hockey mindset as the season's over. I do believe the statement that Grabner is one of the fastest in the draft is correct. You cannot get as many breakaways as he did not being pretty fast. I also think everything said was pretty much right. Great vision, great hands, sniper of a shot.

Although he plays with grit, I'd say his downfall as I see it is simply his size. However, it was a tale of two seasons for him. Once he had confidence not only in himself, but his line, even though they weren't a big line, they won alot of the battles of the board, hit as well as other lines and played as though they wanted to win every shift on the ice. That's not bad considering they were the worst team in the U.S. division. Prior to last half of last season, I thought he was a waste of talent. If he plays anything like he did in the second half, we could see a 50 goals scorer in the Can