174 Eric Hunter NY Rangers \ Prince George
189 Derek Dorsett Columbus \Medicine Hat
197 Evan Fuller Vancouver \Prince George
199 Cameron Cepek Montreal \Portland
212 Logan Pyett Detroit \Regina

Scout

OHLArenaGuide
06-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Interestingly, this draft featured the lowest amount of WHLers drafted in history. The OHL was way down too, although the Q had a good year. Numbers swiped from HF.

WHL this year: 24 picks, 11.3% (lowest ever)
WHL average since 90: 45 picks, 17.38%
WHL last year: 44, 15.1%

OHL this year: 29, 13.6%
OHL average since 90: 46.1, 17.5%
OHL last year: 42, 14.4%

QMJHL this year: 25, 11.7%
QMJHL average since 90: 28.5, 9.8%
QMJHL last year: 27, 9.3%

CHL this year: 78, 36.6%
CHL average since 90: 119.6, 44.2%
CHL last year: 113, 38.8%

dondo
06-25-2006, 07:09 PM
the frightening thing I found was all the high picks from US high schools and US development programs.

Lots of second rounders and late first rounders from those areas and undoubtably took away some of the usual selections from the Canadian junior ranks.

Anybody know why there's this shift? Are they that much better or are the US scouts getting lazy and only going to US based venues?

Number_4
06-26-2006, 09:40 AM
the frightening thing I found was all the high picks from US high schools and US development programs.

Lots of second rounders and late first rounders from those areas and undoubtably took away some of the usual selections from the Canadian junior ranks.

Anybody know why there's this shift? Are they that much better or are the US scouts getting lazy and only going to US based venues?

I was wondering about that too. I want to wonder if the US just had one extremely good year of players, or are the development programs that much better. As for high school, you can bet that you wont find a Canadian High School player picked.

Either way, its disturbing for the whole CHL that their picks are so low, compared to previous years. It is too early to sound alarm bells, but wow... what can we do to showcase our players better?

Beaner
06-26-2006, 11:12 AM

I think what you are starting to see is the effects of the increase in the popularity of Hockey down in the states, attributed to the time when Gretzky was traded to the Kings back in the late 80's. Gretzky isnt the only reason for the increase in players of course, but it is one of the contributing factors.

I recall reading an article about Gretzky and the increase in Hockey players in California, and it would make sense time line wise as a lot of the players we are seeing now would have just been born shortly after the Gretzky move to LA.

All we have to do is look at the number of WHL'ers coming out of California right now, and it makes sense as to why the Americans are getting more and more kids drafted higher and higher.

The increase of kids playing the game, leads to better competition, better coaching, and thus an overall improvement in quality of play, and therefore more Americans being picked higher and higher over the course of the draft.

chiefgongshow
06-26-2006, 04:26 PM

I think the 88' draft year was a weak one for the CHL as a whole, with the US programs putting out some good players. I think US players have an advantage if they go to college, due to the fact that instead of 2 years to be signed they have 4. It seems if NHL teams have to pick between players who are close to skill level and potential theyll pick the college bound kid

Scout
06-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Its not all that bad for Canadian hockey in general. Alot of kids are thinking their education first, hockey second. If the NCAA would get their head out of their a** and realize CHL is not professional then some of these kids would report to the CHL and go NCAA after.

AJHL 3 players 1.4%
BCHL 4 players 1.9%
CCHA 8 players 3.8%
CZE 5 players 2.3%
CZE Jr 4 players 1.9%
ECAC 3 players 1.4%
Fin 6 players 2.8%
Fin Jr 7 players 3.3%
Ger 2 players .9%
H-East 5 players 2.3%
KIJHL 1 player .4%
Lat 1 player .4%
NAHL 1 player .4%
OHL 29 players 13.6%
OPJRA 3 players 1.4%
QAAAJHL 1 player .4%
QMJHL 25 players 11.7%
RPL 5 players 2.3%
RUS 10 players 4.7%
SJL 6 players 2.8%
SUI 3players 1.4%
SVK 2 players .9%
SWE 11 players 5.1%
SWE Jr 1 player .4%
USA 13 players 6.1%
USHL 9 players 4.2%
USHSE 7 players 3.2%
USHSW 11 players 5.1%
WCHA 2 players .9%
WHL 24 players 11.2%

Also 12 other players were drafted Saturday who's rights are owned by WHL teams:

First round:
Trevor Lewis (L.A.) - WHL rights owned by Spokane
David Fischer (Montreal) - WHL rights owned by Everett
Kyle Okposo (NY Islanders) - WHL rights owned by Everett
Jonathan Toews (Chicago) - WHL rights owned by Tri-City

Second round:
Keith Seabrook (Washington) - WHL rights owned by Calgary

Third round:
Eric Gryba (Ottawa) - WHL rights owned by Portland
Michael Forney (Tampa Bay) - WHL rights owned by Everett

Fourth round:
Rhett Rhakhshani (NY Islanders) - WHL rights owned by Portland
Jase Weslosky (NY Islanders) - WHL rights owned by Prince Albert

Fifth round:
Mark Dekanich (Nashville) - WHL rights owned by Regina

Seventh round:
Jesse Martin (Atlanta) - WHL rights owned by Saskatoon
Chris Frank (Phoenix) - WHL rights owned by Seattle

I have nothing against the NCAA except for the fact they are calling our juniors professional, yet USA hockey can pay everything for their players yet they are not classified as pro. Makes no sense to me.

Scout

SectionNDeserter
06-26-2006, 06:36 PM
I have nothing against the NCAA except for the fact they are calling our juniors professional, yet USA hockey can pay everything for their players yet they are not classified as pro. Makes no sense to me.I think their reasoning is that while they are not 'pro' leagues, there is someone making money from the operation of the teams, a lot of money in some cases.

Triton
06-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Its not all that bad for Canadian hockey in general. Alot of kids are thinking their education first, hockey second. If the NCAA would get their head out of their a** and realize CHL is not professional then some of these kids would report to the CHL and go NCAA after.

AJHL 3 players 1.4%
BCHL 4 players 1.9%
CCHA 8 players 3.8%
CZE 5 players 2.3%
CZE Jr 4 players 1.9%
ECAC 3 players 1.4%
Fin 6 players 2.8%
Fin Jr 7 players 3.3%
Ger 2 players .9%
H-East 5 players 2.3%
KIJHL 1 player .4%
Lat 1 player .4%
NAHL 1 player .4%
OHL 29 players 13.6%
OPJRA 3 players 1.4%
QAAAJHL 1 player .4%
QMJHL 25 players 11.7%
RPL 5 players 2.3%
RUS 10 players 4.7%
SJL 6 players 2.8%
SUI 3players 1.4%
SVK 2 players .9%
SWE 11 players 5.1%
SWE Jr 1 player .4%
USA 13 players 6.1%
USHL 9 players 4.2%
USHSE 7 players 3.2%
USHSW 11 players 5.1%
WCHA 2 players .9%
WHL 24 players 11.2%

Also 12 other players were drafted Saturday who's rights are owned by WHL teams:

First round:
Trevor Lewis (L.A.) - WHL rights owned by Spokane
David Fischer (Montreal) - WHL rights owned by Everett
Kyle Okposo (NY Islanders) - WHL rights owned by Everett
Jonathan Toews (Chicago) - WHL rights owned by Tri-City

Second round:
Keith Seabrook (Washington) - WHL rights owned by Calgary

Third round:
Eric Gryba (Ottawa) - WHL rights owned by Portland
Michael Forney (Tampa Bay) - WHL rights owned by Everett

Fourth round:
Rhett Rhakhshani (NY Islanders) - WHL rights owned by Portland
Jase Weslosky (NY Islanders) - WHL rights owned by Prince Albert

Fifth round:
Mark Dekanich (Nashville) - WHL rights owned by Regina

Seventh round:
Jesse Martin (Atlanta) - WHL rights owned by Saskatoon
Chris Frank (Phoenix) - WHL rights owned by Seattle

I have nothing against the NCAA except for the fact they are calling our juniors professional, yet USA hockey can pay everything for their players yet they are not classified as pro. Makes no sense to me.

Scout

Thanks for this info.Very cool stats,and informative.

dondo
06-26-2006, 09:55 PM
yeah great research.. you too OHLGuide... loving to see these numbers

SND:

I think their reasoning is that while they are not 'pro' leagues, there is someone making money from the operation of the teams, a lot of money in some cases.

Isn't that the American way though - the athletes have a preferred status across the board and get the majority of costs paid for them (depending upon how goods they are) - I'm sure hockey is less than say football or bball, but it might be more a matter of marketing and funding rather than talent level.

scout:

Which is why I think that maybe a few scouts are being given extra perks to come and see the US development squads etc, making it easier for them to report to their bosses.