PDA

View Full Version : Two More Deals?!

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
06-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Wow, Sutter's been busy lately. Wonder what he's up to...

From reddeerrebels.com

Cline Traded to Chilliwack for Hanzal & Cann

RED DEER, AB – The Red Deer Rebels Hockey Club announced today they have acquired 19-year old forward Martin Hanzal and 18-year old defenceman Mike Cann from the Chilliwack Bruins in exchange for 18-year old forward Matthew Cline and a 4th round selection in the 2007 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft.

Martin Hanzal is a 1st round pick, 17th overall, of the Phoenix Coyotes in the 2005 National Hockey League Entry Draft. He played with the Czech Republic in the 2006 World Junior Hockey Championships in Vancouver, B.C.

Mike Cann is a former 1st round pick, 18th overall, of the Brandon Wheat Kings in the 2003 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft.

Mihalik Dealt to Prince George

RED DEER, AB – The Red Deer Rebels Hockey Club announced today they have traded 19-year old defenceman Vladimir Mihalik to the Prince George Cougars in exchange for a 4th round selection in the 2007 or 2008 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft.

So with Hanzel sent to Red Deer, one of the few teams his agent said he'd play for, it seems like he finally coming to the WHL.

Triton
06-26-2006, 04:10 PM
RED DEER, AB – The Red Deer Rebels Hockey Club announced today they have traded 19-year old forward Justin Scott to the Regina Pats for a 6th round selection in the 2007 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft. Scott is entering his fourth season in the Western Hockey League.

In a separate deal, the Rebels Hockey Club has acquired 18-year old defenceman Matt MacDermott from the Regina Pats for a conditional pick in the 2007 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft.

SectionNDeserter
06-26-2006, 05:20 PM
I am a little surprised by the Mihalik deal, though it was pretty much a sure thing after the Hanzel deal. I think that he will probably only be in the league for this next season, but I think he is going to be good for the Cougars this season. The Scott deal was no surprise, the Rebels will be too young a team to carry a player that looks lost unless he is killing penalties. Cline had a dreadful second half to last season (which the NHL scouts obviously noticed), but I think there is still plenty of time for him to turn things around.

mapletoft
06-26-2006, 10:12 PM
I sure am disappointed to see Matt Cline leave. A lot of potential, but I don't think Sutter was a good coach for him. I hope he thrives in Chilliwack!

Tinner
06-27-2006, 07:21 AM
I'm really not surprised by any of these deals. Stocking up on draft picks may be a better way of building your team when players are considered to be grinders at best. With Cline, I don't think there was a connection between him and Brent, and yes, his play certainly was noticed by the NHL scouts.

Mihalik is going to be a good player, but when he'll be gone in a year, I don't think he's something Brent wanted to "build" around.

Scott, imo, was a player who continually decided his own fate by having good and bad games. His limited skills showed when playing the more skilled teams in the league.

Anyway, all the best to these guys as they move forward in their careers.

As for the new players coming in, be prepared to work hard and listen because it will be a change from what they were used to.