PDA

View Full Version : Parker blames rules for snub

nivek_wahs
06-27-2006, 07:30 PM
from reginapats.com

Parker blames rules for snub
June 27, 2006

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post

The Regina Pats aren't exactly celebrating their acceptance into the WHL Snub Club.

Defenceman Logan Pyett was the lone member of the Pats selected in Saturday's NHL entry draft -- and one of just 24 WHLers. The OHL and QMJHL had 29 and 25 draftees, respectively.

There were 43 WHL players chosen in the 2005 draft.

"I think a big part of that is our league didn't go to the same rules that the NHL was using," offered Pats GM Brent Parker, referring to the two-referee system as well as the NHL's new standard of rule enforcement. "Every other kid in the CHL -- the OHL and Quebec -- was playing under those rules and scoring was 15 per cent higher in those leagues."

The WHL agreed during its annual general meeting last Wednesday to adopt the same system used by its CHL neighbours. However, the news came too late for this year's draft-eligible players.

Pyett was selected with the second-last pick in the draft (seventh round, 212th overall, by the Detroit Red Wings). Five other members of the Pats were passed over: Forwards Justin Bernhardt, Ian Duval and Levi Lind and defencemen Craig Schira and Kyle Deck.

"I felt really bad for those kids," said Parker. "I didn't think we were going to have six but I certainly thought we'd have three or four."

Parker cited several examples of skilled WHL players who went undrafted on Saturday, including Bernhardt, Duval, Brennen Wray of the Moose Jaw Warriors, Keegan Dansereau of the Calgary Hitmen and Victor Bartley of the Kamloops Blazers.

"They are good players and their numbers would have been better (under the new rules)," he said. "I think our league did them all a disservice when we had the rules different than the NHL and different than everyone else. I think it had a real impact on the draft."

With that said, Parker also thinks something positive can still come from the snub.

"I hope our kids use it in the right frame of mind that they're going to take it and say, 'All right, I'll show you!' " added the Pats GM. "Logan has to be better defensively and Bernie needs to be more disciplined in his approach to the game. Hopefully Duvie has a more consistent year. There are things they can all improve on. If they do, they'll get opportunities."

- - -

It was a busy day on the trade front for the Red Deer Rebels, who made four separate deals -- two with the Pats.

Regina acquired forward Justin Scott, 19, for a sixth-round bantam pick in 2007. The Pats also sent defenceman Matt McDermott, 18, to Red Deer for future considerations.

Scott, who spent two previous seasons in Moose Jaw, recorded three goals, six assists and 24 penalty minutes in 49 games during the 2005-06 campaign.

Red Deer also added a former member of the Pats -- although he never played a game in the uniform -- when they acquired Czech sniper Martin Hanzal along with defenceman Mike Cann from the expansion Chilliwack Bruins for forward Matthew Cline and a fourth-round pick in 2007.

Hanzal, a first-round selection of the Phoenix Coyotes, refused to play in Regina the past two seasons and was exposed to Chilliwack in this year's expansion draft. Red Deer was one of the teams named by Hanzal last season when he demanded a trade from Regina. The others were the Blazers and Vancouver Giants.

The Rebels concluded the day by sending import defenceman Vladimir Mihalik to the Prince George Cougars for a fourth-round bantam pick in 2008.

The Pats also released their tentative schedule for the 2006-07 season on Monday.

Regina opens the regular season on Sept. 22 against the host Swift Current Broncos. The Saskatoon Blades visit the Pats the next night for their home-opener at the Brandt Centre.

The schedule includes 21 Friday/Saturday contests, plus the return of the New Year's Day game against the Wheat Kings. Regina's longest road trip of the season comes in November with a six-game B.C. jaunt over 10 days.