View Full Version : Wheat Preps for Lightning Camp

Tipped Off
07-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Posted : : 07/10/2006
SILVERTIPS ALUMNI REPORT: TORRIE WHEAT
Catching Up with the Former Silvertips Captain
Everett Silvertips Press Release

Photo courtsey of Katrina’s Sports Photography
Everett, WA - Former Silvertips captain Torrie Wheat is definitely ready for his new challenge, a chance to play pro hockey. Starting this week, the Silvertips all-time leading scorer will be working out with the Tampa Bay Lightning at their prospect camp. The Nanaimo, BC will get a good look during the camp and don't be surprised if he accomplishes something special in his first pro camp. Silvertips play-by-play man Keith Gerhart had a chance to catch up with Torrie and talk about the challenge ahead.

Keith Gerhart: What did you do off ice and on ice to prepare yourself for the rookie camp with the Tampa Bay Lightning?

Torrie Wheat: I took about three days off after the season was over and got right to work. I skated on the ice as much as possible and keeping the rust off. Two weeks prior to camp, I am going to Calgary to get some good ice time with some of the other Tampa Bay Lightning prospects. Off the ice, I have been working hard in the gym to put some weight on. I have also started yoga three times a week and joined a fighting club to work on boxing and kickboxing a few times a week as well.

KG: What are some of your expectations for yourself at the Lightning prospect camp?

TW: I really do not have any expectations because I do not want to put any pressure on myself. I know that I feel good, I feel fit and I want to see where I am at compared with the other Lightning prospects.

KG: When the 2005-2006 season ended with the Silvertips, did you feel confident that you would get a NHL tryout?

TW: No I was not confident because I had a good season last year and did not go to a camp but I was definitely ecstatic about getting an invite about the Lightning.

KG: Does being coached by Silvertips Head Coach, Kevin Constantine the last three seasons prepare you more for the camp?

TW: I really hope so. I spent three years of hard work and dedication to details about hockey that some players do not learn. He has been to the NHL level and knows what it takes about the little important things about the game. I hope that the Lightning coaching staff and scouting staff know that and like what they see.

KG: You are currently the all-time leader in scoring in Silvertips franchise history. How would you sum up your Silvertips career?

TW: It was a lot of fun. The first season was unbelievable and personally it was kind of a new start in my WHL career. Those three years were fantastic and probably the best three years of my life.

Boltprospects
07-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Wheat played very well and has earned a second look with an invititation to play with Lightning prospects in September's Traverse City, Michigan prospects tournament.

Wheat and Portland's Brian Woolger played on the same line together and both were reportedly impressive. Both got invites to TC.