PDA

View Full Version : Ban Thompson signs with huston Aeros

Tiger Trauma
07-11-2006, 04:19 PM
(July 11, 2006) The University of Alberta is pleased to announce that the American Hockey League’s Houston Aeros have signed 2005 TELUS University Cup MVP Forward Ben Thomson of the CIS champion Alberta Golden Bears to an amateur tryout.

The 24 year old winger can hardly wait to make the jump to the next level. Thomson will attend camp with the Minnesota Wild, Houston’s NHL parent team, beginning on September 15.

“I’m really excited and I can’t wait to report for camp. I mean, to play hockey at a professional level with a shot at playing in the NHL, oh boy, this is every kid’s dream,” said Thomson.

Thomson broke into the WHL as a fifteen year old and played five full-seasons with the Medicine Hat Tigers where he tallied 317 points (136-181=317) in 352 games, including three consecutive seasons of 70 points or more.

Thomson played three seasons at the University of Alberta, including two for Aeros Head Coach Rob Daum and won a second straight national title with the Bears in March. It was Thomson who scored the tying and winning goals (winning goal from 2005 is pictured) in a dramatic come-from-behind 4-3 overtime win over the Saskatchewan Huskies at the 2005 TELUS University Cup in Edmonton to give Alberta their CIS record 11th National title. He has two years of eligibility remaining.

Having his former Head Coach in Houston will make the transition easier and Thomson hopes it will also bode well for his play.

“Having someone like Rob at the helm in Houston certainly helps my cause because he knows what I’m capable, I know what he looks for in a player and so there is a certain comfort level that exists between us.”

Thomson, 24 (6/30/82), totaled 160 overall points (57-103=160) in 130 games in three seasons at the University of Alberta. The 5-foot-7, 190-pound native of Coaldale, AB., was named to the 2005 and 2006 TELUS University Cup All-Star teams and was a Canada West First Team All-Star both years as well. During his first season in CIS hockey Thomson tallied 36 points (9 goals, 27 assists) and was named to the CIS All-Rookie team. He was also honoured with the U of A hockey Alumni trophy as Canada West Freshman of the Year.

After a stellar career in CIS hockey Thomson is eager to prove his worth at the next level.

“I’m going into Houston with the same expectations I had when I first came to the Bears and the University of Alberta. I just want to go out and prove myself as a player. I’m ready to accept whatever role is given to me because I’m there to help the team however I can.”

bandwagonboy
07-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Good for him. It would be cool to see him make the show after playing with the Golden Bears. Very unconventional route to the NHL to say the least.