PDA

View Full Version : Flames Changes

Tinner
07-12-2006, 10:25 AM
As I earlier posted in the Rebels Forum (Front Office Shuffle), the Flames are about to make a coaching change. I said that there was internal conflicts brewing and now, whether or not related, changes are happening.

LifelongChiefsFan
07-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Anyone know what type of conflicts are going on or between whom? I was still caught by surprise that Sutter resigned even though I had heard rumors. It's interesting as well that even though Sutter isn't coach, he is still sticking around as GM. At least as of right now.

WHL Rules
07-12-2006, 10:35 AM
As I earlier posted in the Rebels Forum (Front Office Shuffle), the Flames are about to make a coaching change. I said that there was internal conflicts brewing and now, whether or not related, changes are happening.

What internal conflicts? Sutter has insisted since the 2003/04 season that he will step down as headcoach and concentrate on his GM duties and this is exactly what is happening now. No one left, Playfair is promoted to headcoach, Preston and Cookson remain as assistant coaches and Marcoux as goaltending coach.

Tiger Trauma
07-12-2006, 03:52 PM
I havent heard anything about internal conflicts, with the flames organization. Being a head coach and GM, at an nhl level probably creates a ton of work....I wouldnt see why someone would be "conflicting" at him, after turning the flames into a winninng team.

WHLRULES is right, sutter has said he will step down as head coach to concentrate on his gm duties.

playfair isnt exactly a nobody though (however he is inexperienced as an nhl coach) but before becoming an assistant with the flames he coached the minor league team to an ahl calder cup

Toswammi
07-12-2006, 06:32 PM
I may be roasted for saying this, but the Sutter defensive style is entangered at best. With the new rules he isnt nearly as good a coach as in years past. With that said he seemed amazing in the looker room and demanded the teams respect.
As far as him stepping down as the coach the writing was on the wall a long time ago, and it was only time before it happened. Dont worry though, Calgary is in excellent hands in Playfair.

SectionNDeserter
07-12-2006, 07:48 PM
I may be roasted for saying this, but the Sutter defensive style is entangered at best. With the new rules he isnt nearly as good a coach as in years past. With that said he seemed amazing in the looker room and demanded the teams respect.I don't know if any modern coaches 'style' involves players not skating, and standing in one place, putting the hook on the attacking players (like they did in the playoffs). I would say that the players let him down more than I would say that he has some sort of outdated coaching style.

As far as him stepping down as the coach the writing was on the wall a long time ago, and it was only time before it happened. Dont worry though, Calgary is in excellent hands in Playfair.Indeed, I think I even remember him saying a few years back that that it was his eventual plan to turn over the head coaching duties and focus on the GM duties.

Toswammi
07-12-2006, 11:45 PM
I don't know if any modern coaches 'style' involves players not skating, and standing in one place, putting the hook on the attacking players (like they did in the playoffs). I would say that the players let him down more than I would say that he has some sort of outdated coaching style.

To me it seemed that the Flames had no offensive creativity in the game plan. I realize they dont have the offensive power of other teams, but if you look back with Iggy, Lankow, Riemperech (who proved he has skillz in the desert) etc., you would think that they would be able to score some goals. I watched the team all year (I am a die hard Flames fan), and that was my constant complant that outside the Deon point blast they had little Offensive creativity.