PDA

View Full Version : Why no rookie camp ?

grainbear
07-24-2006, 05:28 AM
The Canes have stated that they are starting camp around the 28 th this year with a smaller camp of about 45 players? Is it because we are already young or is it for another reason , anyone with an inside on this ? I always have been of the opinion that rookie camp does assist in at the very least looking at some of the unlisted players, who can come in and win a spot on the player list at the expense of someone who maybe does,t have the chemistry or work ethic to be on your team. Sutter,s rolling of the dice in Red Deer is an example.

Tinner
07-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Certainly, cutting out of a rookie camp is purely a "cost saving" to the team. Other teams have and are doing the same thing, whether or not it is a cost saver. Teams nowadays have done their homework and most likely have a pretty good idea who will make up their team roster for the most part. The good ole days of finding a diamond in the rough is slowly fading because of the heavy scouting done by the teams.

With 45 - 50 players coming to camp you most likely have 15 spots already secured by returning players. That leaves 30 - 35 players trying to win one of 5-6 playing spots and 1 -2 roster spots. Pretty tough odds if there are 2 or 3 players that have better than a 50/50 chance of getting 1 of those spots.

Just my thoughts

SeventhHeaven4U
08-12-2006, 10:55 PM
I've heard that the reason there is no rookie camp is because it is usually held around the same time as the Sutter Hockey School (during the first week of August) and this year there is no camp due to renovations being done to the Coaldale arena. It's a shame cuz I enjoy watching this yearly event!!